Oil Change Disaster

Next time...Spin the filter (lightly) until stops turning. If you can still turn the filter, with some resistance, you have a gasket in place. If you cannot turn the filter, you are metal to metal (no gasket). I know, the 3.0 Ranger oil filter change is a job for Stevie Wonder. :)

Much as I like the Fram XG - it’s dumped several gaskets on the flange - gotta see it in the groove …
I've had the gasket come off of XG filters more than once. I do lube the gasket with plenty of oil but I also (have to) use a filter wrench when putting them on (I just don't have the grip/strength anymore). I do NOT go all hulk on it by any means though.

Reactions: 4WD
I was working at a shop when I was a kid and someone double gasketed an oil filter, they were only paying me minimum wage, and I wasn’t the one that did it.
+1

I remember this clearly when it happened too, because in my case, the filter blew out as the car was being backed out of the bay. Everyone near by was shouting "Shut it off, shut it off!" What I remember most was, how quickly the oil had pumped out and the mess it made in mere seconds; that was almost 30 years ago.

Earlier in life, I shared an apartment with a guy named Jack. Jack had a Ford Fiesta. I drove in from work one Saturday and as I turned into the parking lot, I noticed the hood up on the Fiesta and Jack standing in front of it. Looked like an oil change in progress. I parked and was walking across the lot and I noticed the tip of what looked like a growing oil slick running out from under the back of the car. "Hey Jack, what's this?" Turns out he'd forgotten to put the drain plug back in and whatever little bit of oil a Fiesta used, went in the top and out the bottom and was slowly tricking down the slope of the parking lot.

I was working at a shop when I was a kid and someone double gasketed an oil filter on a BMW. Ten minutes later I see a guy standing in the waiting room crying. I peek my head into the hallway to see what’s going on...guy is dressed in a suit, he’s yelling and crying...he reaches into his pocket, pulls out an oil filter (oil is pouring all over him and screams...I just got an oil change here and THIS FELL OUT OF MY CAR!! Cost the shop $8,000 at the time...and they fired everyone. Well, not me because they were only paying me minimum wage, and I wasn’t the one that did it.
‘Search for the guilty, punishment of the innocent, and promotion of the non-participants’. 😬

Stop buying vehicles that have oil filters in hard to access locations.
He’s probably just waiting for that 3.0 Vulcan to give up the ghost. My cousin planned on doing that with his Ranger. He finally just decided to sell it at 425k miles, still running strong.

Last edited:
I know, the 3.0 Ranger oil filter change is a job for Stevie Wonder. :)
Especially on a 4wd I always found it worthwhile to pull the wheel and the 4 push pins to remove inner fender flap. Of course I was working on a lift but if you’re gonna rotate the tires already I’d still recommend going that route.

Because it is a public forum that I am a member of, and I can.
I have just as much right to post this here as you did your non responsive, nonconstructive, snark.
Nobody forced you to read it.

Still doesn’t hurt to be nice…

He’s probably just waiting for that 3.0 Vulcan to give up on he ghost. My cousin planned on doing that with his Ranger. He finally just decided to sell it at 425k miles, still running strong.

It is just the right sized truck for me.
I have looked at all the new ones, and can't find one that I like any better.
I'll run it as long as the body lasts.

Because it is a public forum that I am a member of, and I can.
I have just as much right to post this here as you did your non responsive, nonconstructive, snark.
Nobody forced you to read it.
You totally misunderstood - and replied like you described

You totally misunderstood - and replied like you described

The only response that I have (and, no, I don't want an answer to it) is How was your response helpful at all?

The only response that I have (and, no, I don't want an answer to it) is How was your response helpful at all?
You have been mocked and guess you don’t know it. That’s what it meant.
Putting you on ignore.

I did a similar thing on my turbo-charged Miata years ago. Unknown to me, the old filter gasket didn't come off with the filter. So the new filter had double gaskets. Dumped in Mobil 1 and started it. it idled until I saw oil running down my drive. Really pixxed me off because I knew better. Really hated wasting all that Mobil 1.

+1

I remember this clearly when it happened too, because in my case, the *filter blew out as the car was being backed out of the bay. Everyone near by was shouting "Shut it off, shut it off!" What I remember most was, how quickly the oil had pumped out and the mess it made in mere seconds; that was almost 30 years ago.
*I meant gasket

I have been changing oil in cars for 45 years, and today was a first.
I'm trying to go through this in my mind to figure out how to avoid this happening again.
Changed the oil on the Ranger in my signature. Drained it like I always do, then went to remove the filter that was on it.
It was a Supertech from WM. As an aside, I had about a dozen of these I bought when they were clearing them out for 75 cents each. About the same time, Meijer was clearing out their Purolator Red OF's for 40 cents each . bought all six of those they had on hand. Had one of the Puros left.
However today, my OC was going to be Formula Shell 5W30, with one of the ST filters.
Filter removal installation is a PITA on these as all that can be done on the top end is loosen/tighten. The old filter has to be accessed through the drivers side wheel well, so basically once one gets their hands in there, they are fundamentally working blind.
Got the old filter out. It is impossible to get the filter out without having old oil all over the place, so there is always drippage during the process.
Get out the new ST filter. It has the gasket on it. Grab one of the quarts of FS, open it up, and lube the gasket. I then reach through the wheel well, get it on the spindle, then hand tighten it. I could feel my finger touch the gasket on the new filter as I am putting it through the wheel well liner. At that point, I focused on getting it on the spindle and hand tightening it. Don't know anything about the gasket after it is on the spindle.
Got it on, and snugged it from above. That is always a fun experience (have a blister on the top of my right hand as a remembrance.) Put the oil in the engine, and look under (see minor drip, but the oil is black, and it is from the OF area.
Get in and start truck. Oil gauge goes to normal. See nothing other than minor drip of black oil from the OF area. Shut off truck and go get cleaned up.
Come out later to move the truck back to the driveway (do the OC's that I do myself in front of the shed in my back yard where all my OC tools, etc are located.
Pull out into the alley behind the house, all is fine. Turn onto the side street and drive to the stop sign. At that point, all H lets loose. Check Gauges light goes on, and oil gauge needle starts going up and down. At that point, I am about 30' from my driveway, so I get in the drive and shut it down quickly.
I look at my drive and oil drips are all over it. I open the hood, and smell the aroma of smoking oil. First thing I do is check to see if the filter is tight. It was fine. Since I could see that the oil was pouring from the OF area, I knew that the OC was going to be a do over, so I went down and got my last Puro Red, and a five quart jug of Citgo Syn Blend. Pull off the ST filter, and can find no gasket anywhere. It was not on the filter, it was not stuck on the engine, I could not feel it around the area inside the fender liner, nor was it on the ground in front of the shed. Future generations may find it when Bubba Truck is sent to the scrap yard.
Drained the sump again. There was probably close to three quarts in it, so I doubt that Bubba was done any harm. Put the Puro on and the five quarts of Citgo in it, started it up, and let it run. Could not detect any leaks. I then put all my OC stuff back into the shed for the second time, got out the oil dry, and proceeded to put about 25 pounds of it down in the driveway.
Stuff like this provides no joy to the pursuit of changing ones oil.
But what was the issue, was it the SuperTech Filter gasket defectively leaking, or did you accidentally double gasket it?
Was the oil filter not screwed on securely on the right threads?
Where was it leaking from (the oil filter area or somewhere else)?

But what was the issue, was it the SuperTech Filter gasket defectively leaking, or did you accidentally double gasket it?
Was the oil filter not screwed on securely on the right threads?
Where was it leaking from (the oil filter area or somewhere else)?

It was pouring out the OF area.
No double gasket. Filter was tight
Apparently, the gasket fell of the new filter while trying to install it through the wheel well.
Since it is impossible to see the filter while installing it, I didn't realize it came off until I pulled the new filter off.
I've changed the oil myself on three of the four Rangers that I have owned over the years, and this was a first.

Back