M1 effectiveness ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: E150GT
my truck has made it to almost 250k with mostly supertech and fram orange cans

The horror of it all!!
grin.gif

Yeah, I understand about high mileage on non-M1. Been there, done that.

I was specifically looking to hear from the 400,000+ miles guys running M1 ...

But I have a sneaking suspicion that they buy good/expensive oil and put it in new'ish expensive cars and trucks that get traded at less than 250K ...

So there may not be to many of them around here
21.gif

"Effectiveness" of oil is a loaded term. I used M1 exclusively in two cars with the first being traded in at 150K miles with no problems and the second car had a failed VVT actuator and rod knock at 68K. In either case, the "effectiveness" of the oil had little to do with it versus the engines. Both were scrupulously maintained. Maybe if I used Supertech or even Redline the second car would still be with us?? Don't think so...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
But I have a sneaking suspicion that they buy good/expensive oil and put it in new'ish expensive cars and trucks that get traded at less than 250K ... So there may not be to many of them around here
21.gif

There's truth to that!!

Every new Corvette, Camaro, Shelby, etc. owner I know spends the money on good oil, but never keeps the car to the end of it's life.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I used M1 exclusively in two ... the second car had a failed VVT actuator and rod knock at 68K.

That was clearly a manufacturing defect. No oil on earth was gonna save that lemon.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I can not understand how people can spend $30k, $40k, $50k or more on a new vehicle, spend thousands more on wheels and accessories, and then try to scrape by on oil changes. If you're broke and driving a beater, you can probably still cough up enough change for Supertech and a cheap filter to do regular oil changes. If you can't do that, because you're so broke, okay. But those $30k, $40k, $50k guys can.

If a person is truly in that much need, I will do their routine maintenance including oil & filter changes for free-just contact me via PM
Steve

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
FWIW, my car made it over 500k with bulk oil and oem filters at the dealership, changed between 7-9k. Engine is still running and squeaky clean.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Reasonably treated engines so commonly go over 300,000 and 400,000 miles that I'm not sure it proves much about the oil. For only 3 examples:

My Mazda went over 600K miles on whatever conventional 10W-40 was on sale.
My brother's '85 Jetta went well beyond 300K on the same.
His '95 Avalon is at about 340K on whatever synthetic 5W-30 is on sale.

None of those had oil-related wear problems.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've reached 340K miles on store brand(SuperTech, AAP, ProLine, Spectrum) and on sale oils(name brand-VWB, PYB, QSGB, HAV/Chev) all being dino oil. I'd think that M1 could do it easily.

"Reasonably treated engines so commonly go over 300,000 and 400,000 miles that I'm not sure it proves much about the oil. ..."

+1

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I can not understand how people can spend $30k, $40k, $50k or more on a new vehicle, spend thousands more on wheels and accessories, and then try to scrape by on oil changes. If you're broke and driving a beater, you can probably still cough up enough change for Supertech and a cheap filter to do regular oil changes. If you can't do that, because you're so broke, okay. But those $30k, $40k, $50k guys can.

I know a number of people who do exactly that.
They'll spend their money on the look and even to have their rides detailed, but when it comes to basic maintenance, they can't find the dollars.
I suggest a Walmart TLE for a QSGB change at eighteen dollars and they look at me as though I'm crazy. Too much money for something nobody can see.
People sometimes have misaligned priorities when it comes to the machine they rely upon every day.

See, there are AmsOil guys doing 50K changes (or more) and trying to get to 500,000. If I posted the question about AmsOil, I'll bet I get more responses ...

There is a HUGE M1 fan base, but it seems that the M1 customers are not folks who drive their vehicles into the sunset. I'll do a new upholstery job at 150K expecting to go to 300 in most of my stuff. But I suspect that the M1 users are not made that way ...

So all the M1 guys on here are touting their fav for what reason ... There is something psychological going on here ...

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CR94
...None of those had oil-related wear problems.
What OCIs?
Mostly around 6K (vs. 7.5K suggested by the owner's manual) in the '81 Mazda. I think about 5K in the Toyota. Not sure about the VW.

Last edited:
My auto mechanics teacher in high school was on his 2nd VW Jetta. He put 1,000,000Km on the first one, VW bought it back and put him in this one, which had something like 520,000 on it (going by memory here, but it was a lot). He used Mobil 1 in both of them and he was a huge proponent of the lube because of that.

See, there are AmsOil guys doing 50K changes (or more) and trying to get to 500,000. If I posted the question about AmsOil, I'll bet I get more responses ...

There is a HUGE M1 fan base, but it seems that the M1 customers are not folks who drive their vehicles into the sunset. I'll do a new upholstery job at 150K expecting to go to 300 in most of my stuff. But I suspect that the M1 users are not made that way ...

So all the M1 guys on here are touting their fav for what reason ... There is something psychological going on here ...

I have no numbers to prove or disprove what you're saying, maybe there is a large, loud contingent of M1 users trading in often.

My anecdotal evidence is different. I run primarily Mobil 1 and run my vehicles into the ground, with domestics that usually means 170K until major expensive failure (engine or transmission), with a Honda and Toyota now, not sure, hoping for 250K plus from each. Well, I did get about 260K from a domestic, but that was a while back.

My buddy runs Volvo's with Mobil 1, he buys nothing but M1 10w-30 and runs them 300K or so, when he's done they're done, not even the junkyard wants them.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: bbhero
There you go. That's firsthand experience right there. Good job there tig1.

Thanks, but my 2007 Fusion has right at 211K with 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE and performs as well as new.

I know others that have used M1 EP out to 15-17K OCIs with engines at 175-200K. When sold, engines performed very well.

Tig, what engine in the Fusion? I am considering a sedan...

The 2007 has the 2.3 and the 2017 has the 2.5

Thanks...

The best I've gotten is 275K on a Mercury Villager using M1, 7.5K OCI. The engine was working perfectly, no sludge, no varish, no oil consumption. The exhaust, rear heater, transmission, A/C and cruise control all broke. The engine is rarely the reason to ditch the vehicle.

We had a Toyota 3.0L (99) Sienna with a sludger engine. Used M1 the entire life, no sludge or varnish. 7.5K OCI. Trade-in at 140K. Transmission was going.

Every other engine using M1 that we have had looks almost brand new. A current '07 Honda V6 has some piston slap, but I don't blame that on the oil.

Any modern car should last 150-200K

If you want a vehicle that lasts a really long time, buy a Ford or GM pickup, a 4 cylinder Toyota or Honda, or an older RWD V8 sedan, like a Crown Vic.Drive it gently.

Last edited:
I've got a 2006 Buick Rainier 4.2 I-6. 183k mostly mobil 1 every 5-7k since new Runs Great. Orig. Transmission & Brakes. Last couple oci's were stretched to 10 & 11k. Great engine too bad it had such a short run, 2002- 2008 I believe.

Was that the point of your question all along?

I use M1 and drive my vehicles into the sunset and beyond, but I do not have a psychological attachment to M1. I dropped it without looking back when I started using Castrol in my BMW. But the price point is good at Walmart and it is easy to find almost anywhere, so what's not to like?

No, that was not my original point. I was looking for folks who did what OVERKILL mentioned, but were/were BITOG members.

I'm not trying to get into an AmsOil vs M1 debate. I just notice that the AmsOil customers are really trying to stretch things. Seemed to me, that the M1 crowd ought to have some folks doing the same ... Was looking for examples ...

No, that was not my original point. I was looking for folks who did what OVERKILL mentioned, but were/were BITOG members.

I'm not trying to get into an AmsOil vs M1 debate. I just notice that the AmsOil customers are really trying to stretch things. Seemed to me, that the M1 crowd ought to have some folks doing the same ... Was looking for examples ...

Doug Hillary had some rather extensive Delvac 1 testing experience and he's a member, does that count? LOL!
grin.gif

Stretching things as in vehicle longevity, not OCIs? I think Overkill's example is quite atypical and even though the person referenced in his post was "a huge proponent of the lube" because of the longevity, no one knows whether it would have done just as well or better on any other lubricant. I'm satisfied with what I see out of the performance of M1 in my vehicles for the miles I have obtained, but I have no clue whether it is really a direct result of M1 or something else.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Stretching things as in vehicle longevity, not OCIs? I think Overkill's example is quite atypical and even though the person referenced in his post was "a huge proponent of the lube" because of the longevity, no one knows whether it would have done just as well or better on any other lubricant. I'm satisfied with what I see out of the performance of M1 in my vehicles for the miles I have obtained, but I have no clue whether it is really a direct result of M1 or something else.

I agree. While his engines were always clean (he had several of his own vehicles and vehicles of people he did maintenance for grace the bays of our shop) I can't simply point the finger and say "Mobil did it". Just like with my personal examples where I've used M1 for 300+K and the engines are super clean, it doesn't mean that other lubes would not have performed similarly.

On the other hand, Doug's experience with D1, including tear-downs and measurements, holds a lot more stock IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back