M1 effectiveness ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasonably treated engines so commonly go over 300,000 and 400,000 miles that I'm not sure it proves much about the oil. For only 3 examples:

My Mazda went over 600K miles on whatever conventional 10W-40 was on sale.
My brother's '85 Jetta went well beyond 300K on the same.
His '95 Avalon is at about 340K on whatever synthetic 5W-30 is on sale.

None of those had oil-related wear problems.

Last edited:
I have a Lexus ES at 276K on M1, runs like new. It saw factory changes during warranty and the M1 afterwards. Since 100k, on M1 10w-30 HM. I have had to replace the OCV's on each bank around 240k; about 1.5 to 2x time the normal interval of other owners. No other core engine work besides valve cover and spark gaskets. Have not checked compression as it still delivers normal MPGs, and general performance as new. It uses about .5 quarts of the M1 HM in my standard 7.5k to 8k OCI. I have routinely topped up the missing 1/2 qt with ATF about 2 days or 50~100 miles before my OC for added cleaning.

I have tried other oils periodically in it (PP, Valvoline FS ML) but come back to M1 10w30 HM for quiet operation and minimal oil use.

I've reached 340K miles on store brand(SuperTech, AAP, ProLine, Spectrum) and on sale oils(name brand-VWB, PYB, QSGB, HAV/Chev) all being dino oil. I'd think that M1 could do it easily.

Found an OP who posted 419k on M1 here in 2004 ... (10k runs)
Seems a post run tear down (some to 500k) is a decent way to evaluate - but not knowing who is paying the SME etc makes it hard to follow and gets perceived as marketing. Even if engineering planned, executed, and evaluated - the peddlers will snatch it away - fluff it up - and cause the distrust with film crew clowns etc ...

Chev Express 3500 vans (4.8L) used for deadheading railway crews see up to 15,000 miles a month. When things go sideways, as often as they do, the oci's get pushed past their normal 7,500 mile schedule.
Bulk Dexos 5w30 is all they get with 2 extra liter bottles in a road kit just inside the barn doors. Typically they are put to auction at the 6 year mark or 800k miles (1.3M km), which ever comes last.
Back in the day, these vans (305 SBCs) were LPG fuelled and went well over 1m miles (1,6m km) on conventional 10W30.
One driver bought his favorite van with 1.3m miles (on SAE 30), LPG'd, for $500 10 years ago, and is still driving it today.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've used it almost exclusively in both my Toyota cars since new and in the Accord and BMW for most of their lives. For a short while I used GC in the Sienna when it was all the rage here on BITOG, but I noticed it clogged up the PCV valve much faster than M1 so I went back to M1. The BMW now uses Castrol due to M1 no longer carrying Longlife-01. Not a big deal for my BMW but when it is only three feet down the Walmart shelf why not.

355K on a 1998 F150, M1, 10W-30, 5000 mile OCI's. Still runs perfectly, still has the crosshatch in the cylinders. Uses no oil.

To top it off, that truck has been seriously used hard. Often towing trailers way too big and heavy for it, and general hard driving.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I have a Lexus ES at 276K on M1, runs like new. It saw factory changes during warranty and the M1 afterwards. Since 100k, on M1 10w-30 HM. I have had to replace the OCV's on each bank around 240k; about 1.5 to 2x time the normal interval of other owners. No other core engine work besides valve cover and spark gaskets. Have not checked compression as it still delivers normal MPGs, and general performance as new. It uses about .5 quarts of the M1 HM in my standard 7.5k to 8k OCI. I have routinely topped up the missing 1/2 qt with ATF about 2 days or 50~100 miles before my OC for added cleaning.

I have tried other oils periodically in it (PP, Valvoline FS ML) but come back to M1 10w30 HM for quiet operation and minimal oil use.

I think you'll find that Mobil 1 HM cleans better than ATF.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I appreciate all the long mileage statements from those using anything, but this thread was/is about M1 users ...

Now there have been a few to reply. What filters were you using?

Anyone doing by-pass filtration and really long OCI's on M1? Like 25,000 miles ...

I think you also want to search for that thread about M2 (Mobile2, or Mobil1 used in 2 cars in a row)

Originally Posted By: CR94
Reasonably treated engines so commonly go over 300,000 and 400,000 miles that I'm not sure it proves much about the oil. For only 3 examples:

My Mazda went over 600K miles on whatever conventional 10W-40 was on sale.
My brother's '85 Jetta went well beyond 300K on the same.
His '95 Avalon is at about 340K on whatever synthetic 5W-30 is on sale.

None of those had oil-related wear problems.

What OCIs?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Anyone doing by-pass filtration and really long OCI's on M1? Like 25,000 miles ...

BrocLuno,

I have two stories from the mid-90's...

One guy was in Eau Claire, and his wife sold cosmetics or something. I forget what she drove, but it was a '87-'89-ish GM... Maybe a Corsica with a 3.1? Anyway, He told me he only changes her oil every 50,000 miles. I was floored! He then said it had 250,000 miles on it. Only Mobil 1. This was 1997 I think...

Another one - A young fella learns to build his own "IBM-compatible" computers from components in the early 90's. He starts his own small business - and "because 90's" his computer business just exploded. He was driving over 1000 miles a week in a brand new 1993 Chevy K1500. He brought me his truck for it's FIRST oil change with 16,000 miles on it. He wated the best oil I had, so it got Mobil 1 (prob 10W-30) & a PF35 filter (there really weren't any "exotic" filters back then).... I didn't see the guy until 50,000 miles later! He did say he added a quart or two in that time, just whatever was at a gas station. (Prob QS gb or PZ yb)

He had some thing going with some dealer if he traded in every couple of years... I think the truck had near (or over??) 100,000 miles on it and had it's oil changed twice. He's passed away, so I can't call him and ask.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: bbhero
There you go. That's firsthand experience right there. Good job there tig1.

Thanks, but my 2007 Fusion has right at 211K with 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE and performs as well as new.

I know others that have used M1 EP out to 15-17K OCIs with engines at 175-200K. When sold, engines performed very well.

Tig, what engine in the Fusion? I am considering a sedan...

Originally Posted By: pandus13

I think you also want to search for that thread about M2 (Mobile2, or Mobil1 used in 2 cars in a row)

I have had several beater cars/trucks (that used oil) that got fed nothing but a diet of used oil, LOL!

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: bbhero
There you go. That's firsthand experience right there. Good job there tig1.

Thanks, but my 2007 Fusion has right at 211K with 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE and performs as well as new.

I know others that have used M1 EP out to 15-17K OCIs with engines at 175-200K. When sold, engines performed very well.

Tig, what engine in the Fusion? I am considering a sedan...

The 2007 has the 2.3 and the 2017 has the 2.5

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: pandus13

I have had several beater cars/trucks (that used oil) that got fed nothing but a diet of used oil, LOL!

I am the one that started the M2 saying, as I used to give my 10K M1 to a friend at work which he used in his 75? Chevy. He had lifter clacking in the winter with dino, so I suggested he switch to M1. He didn't want the higher price so I said(jokingly) how about my 10K M1? He said sure and that ended his cold start problems. For 4 years he would ask for my M2. He would put a new filter on once a year, but just topped off with M2.

Friend at work had a Ranger V6 that went over 300K with VWB. He drove conservatively keeping revs pretty low and revving slowly the times I drove with him. Makes since as winding up and egine under open throttle increses wear substantially compared to steady state RPM with the engine throttled to cruise. even 4000 rpm steady state isn't bad compared to 1/2 throttle wind up (1500-4500 rpm).

Longevity appears to be an engine thing not an oil thing.

Had a 90 mitsubishi eclipse turbo. My first "brand new" car.

After the break in oil drain, all it had were filter changes and top ups around 3500-4K all the way out to 100K where I sold it.

I never did dump the sump after the first time. Just change the filter and add quart or so.

It leaked down sub 10% when the 2nd buyer had it tested. Although I wouldn't do that anymore I think it shows the product is pretty stout.

UD

I am the one that started the M2 saying, as I used to give my 10K M1 to a friend at work which he used in his 75? Chevy. He had lifter clacking in the winter with dino, so I suggested he switch to M1. He didn't want the higher price so I said(jokingly) how about my 10K M1? He said sure and that ended his cold start problems. For 4 years he would ask for my M2. He would put a new filter on once a year, but just topped off with M2.

OP/BrocLuno,

Please re-read what tig1 one said ^^^

(he topped off his personal records xxx,xxx miles engines with the neighbor too)

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I never did dump the sump after the first time. Just change the filter and add quart or so.

I know a fella that did this to an old 250 straight 6 in a chevy pickup, owned it since new.

Said he changed the filter once a year, kept it topped off, and that was it. His last name was Babcock, his first name I don't remember.

I can not understand how people can spend $30k, $40k, $50k or more on a new vehicle, spend thousands more on wheels and accessories, and then try to scrape by on oil changes. If you're broke and driving a beater, you can probably still cough up enough change for Supertech and a cheap filter to do regular oil changes. If you can't do that, because you're so broke, okay. But those $30k, $40k, $50k guys can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back