Lubricating vehicle door hinges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff there but a bit smelly … I used it on the garage doors and guess who ——-ed about the funk for a week …

I've done all mine once. Used some kind of Corrosion Pro spray grease. Was something left over when I had a boat.
Spray like liquid, foams and bubbles a bit then solidify into a grease.
I did the rolling gate guide wheel last use and it's still smooth rolling and squeaky free.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Own the two vehicles in my sig and this weekend was the first time I have ever lubed the door hinges. I used CRC white lithium grease (spray can).

Do you lubricate your door hinges? If so, how frequently? And what type of grease do you find to be most effective? My wife and I plan to keep these two rigs as long as they will run, so thinking preventative maintenance here.

-Georgiey22

Yes, with white lithium grease at every OCI. I also lube my key lock cylinders with white lithium grease. I spray some on the key, insert, repeat 2 times.

Thank you BlueOvalFitter. I’ll do the same with my locks! Great to see so many best practices. Cheers to keeping our rigs on the road for a few hundred thousand miles.!

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I use many of the Blaster products. I wouldn't use oil or lithium grease since that will attract grit. Nothing will wear out a hinge faster than a liquid sandpaper in there. WD40 is a water dispersant not a suitable lube. Check out
http://blastercorp.com/Blaster-Corp-Products

When I lived in FL. and had my local Ford dealership service my truck, they would lube the hinges with white lithium grease spray. I figure if Ford can do it, why can't I?
They might have been doing this to make my hinges wear out faster so I would have to buy new hinges from their parts department.
grin.gif

I will second Wurth HHS 2000/HHS-K Best lube for hinges, etc. that I have used. Works especially well where you have dissimilar metals like a steel pin and aluminum hinge. Sprays as a thin liquid to penetrate, then sets up to a gooey, sticky grease in a few seconds. Not inexpensive or easy to get, but worth it.

I use cheap motorcycle chain lube once a year, I usually apply it early Fall.
This one of those non critical areas where just about any lube will do a good enough job vs no lube at all. I think dealers use white lithium grease because the customer can easily see they applied something. I prefer a much less messy approach, hence the chain lube.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Silk
This is what I use...

1854051.jpg

Same stuff we use here. Perfect for door hinges etc.

I have never seen this product. Where can it be purchased?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This one of those non critical areas where just about any lube will do a good enough job vs no lube at all.

Yes. Even WD-40 is suitable, if not ideal. I know it doesn't get much love here, and it certainly isn't the best for the job, but the taxis got nothing but WD-40, and those doors were opened and closed many, many times a day, and door hinge replacement wasn't that common.

There's a big difference between a car with two or four doors. Four door sedans have doors which are much lighter and rarely will wear out a hinge. The real test comes with those two door coupes.

I don’t recommend lube on 2 doors … they will just ding other cars worse
laugh.gif

Just got on my son for parking his new (dark blue) F150 next to a 2 door with other options all around …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back