Is lithium the only "sprayable" type of grease available in an aerosol spray-can format?

The OP may or may not know that the Lithium, Sodium or Clay based grease is the "thickener" for the oil and not the lubricant. And that high quality lithium based greases can be excellent for general purpose high speed bearing lubrication.

An excellent all around grease I was involved in testing decades ago, Mobil SHC 100 (aviation) is a synthetic oil, Lithium based grease.

I think the problem is that hardware store spray white lithium grease is simply a low quality product.

Or Wurth, they make some interesting products:

0893106026b.jpg

Even when you have an open (not sealed) wheel bearing in your hand, is there such a thing as a legitimate, proper wheel bearing grease for said bearing that comes from an aerosol spray can?

Seeing photos of spray lubricants used on hinges and door latches is nice. Reading that a spray lubricant is great as rust or corrostion protection is nice. But I don't care about that. Can it be used as a proper replacement for grease that comes out of a tube or tub?

for what its worth,at work we had a spray called Tuff-Gel,,made/marketed by Lawson that worked really well ,spray on ,then it sets up like a very slippery clear grease like substance,,though rather pricey.

$65 USD + shipping from rock auto, "new" rebuilt alternator is in, it looks really nice, have put a dozen city miles on it, no chirping. Spinning either the new or old alternator by hand, they are similar, turn just as easily, just as quiet.

This ends my quest for a sprayable lubricant that can reach behind close-fitting pulleys and get into sealed bearings. Old alternator goes into a box, maybe some day I'll wrestle it apart and examine / change the bearings.

Back