Lubegard Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant - VOA

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: skyship
Seems to contain a lot of Moly and about the same amount of detergents as a good oil. It might well improve the performance of a supermarket or Fleabay special, but don't forget that the top of the range full synthetics don't use Moly as they don't need it and adding anything to those quality oils tends to result in sludge and increased wear.
I don't think it is approved by any major vehicle manufacturer, which means it's just another snake oil.

Well if it just leads to sludge we can put one of those idle flushes in that you so highly recommend.
As far as mos2 goes I've been using pp in my hemi,was using Amsoil in my mustang or whatever boutique oil was floating my boat at the time. Using these high quality oils I still got a fuel economy improvement with the mos2 additive added to the oil.
I use it in my generators and air compressors as well and as far as I can tell there isn't any sludge.
Sunkship likes to paint with a very broad stroke,which is fine under lab conditions where every variable is consistent however out here in the real world every driver,driving style and application is different. So in essence sunkship has a point but in the real world where there are so many different variables painting with such a broad stroke isn't always the right thing to do.
When dealing in absolutes you're going to find the world is one big gray area.

The main thing to believe in is that the folks that design engines and the engine oil companies do know what they are doing far better than 99% of snake oil users, that's why they write DON't USE OIL ADDITIVES that have no approvals.
I used to think that adding Moly from a major engine oil company was fairly safe, but the new generation of Moly free oils (Including the last VOA for MAG 0/40)don't like Moly. If you search this site there is a UOA series for Castrol Edge plus Moly with a jump in wear metals and another for LM synthoil showing a big jump in insolubles.
Any additive, including idle only pre OCI flush should be avoided if possible, because there are normally alternative oil types or grades that include the required additive. Only folks that can only obtain cheap farmers oil and have a non commercial vehicle with a fussy engine might benefit from some careful use of an additive and this product might be good for those folks.
If you are using Moly or any other oil additive in an expensive engine it is worth doing some before and after UOA's to check for an increase in wear metals or insolubles, otherwise you don't know what the result will be of any chemical reactions with the oils own add pack or dilution effects for the base stock.

Skyship what happened to the idle engine flushes you talked about? And what about you concocting your own engine cleaners for marine engines?

There are still some oil companies putting moly in oil. I think they probably know something. What exactly are your credentials? Do you have a PhD in chemical engineering? Are you a consultant to Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil/Exxon, Redline, Amsoil?

I last I heard Amsoil, a name brand company, still has two engine flushes. I think Valvoline makes a non-solvent engine flush. Golden Eagle or something like that. I am not sure about that.

If I am not sure about something do you see how I can state I am not sure about something. But you seem to be totally sure about everything-even the new high tech synthetic motor oils that you talk about. And you seem totally secure saying that those new high tech synthetic oils cannot have moly added, becaus ein extended use it will caus sludge. So I guess you either helped develop those motor oils or you know people on the research teams.

Last edited:
And I know something else as well. I have some experience with Lubegard products. I know that at least in the past Lubegard automatic transmission supplements were approved by three automakers. I used to see Lubegard transmission supplement all the time in transmission shops. A chemist from Exxon helped to develop Lubegard products. And Lubegard makes a cleaner for automatic transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
And I know something else as well. I have some experience with Lubegard products. I know that at least in the past Lubegard automatic transmission supplements were approved by three automakers. I used to see Lubegard transmission supplement all the time in transmission shops. A chemist from Exxon helped to develop Lubegard products. And Lubegard makes a cleaner for automatic transmissions.

Lubegard have one current approval that I know of and that is for noise reduction in old ZF auto boxes. They do have good quality control standards which is why the can make approved auto box cleaners and I suppose amongst the additive companies in the US they are about the best.
Unfortuntely just because a company makes a few good products that gain approvals, it does not mean that they can test every additive they make with every oil in every different engine, because that would be very expensive.

Skyship what happened to the idle engine flushes you talked about? And what about you concocting your own engine cleaners for marine engines?
There are still some oil companies putting moly in oil. I think they probably know something. What exactly are your credentials? Do you have a PhD in chemical engineering? Are you a consultant to Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil/Exxon, Redline, Amsoil?
I last I heard Amsoil, a name brand company, still has two engine flushes. I think Valvoline makes a non-solvent engine flush. Golden Eagle or something like that. I am not sure about that.
If I am not sure about something do you see how I can state I am not sure about something. But you seem to be totally sure about everything-even the new high tech synthetic motor oils that you talk about. And you seem totally secure saying that those new high tech synthetic oils cannot have moly added, becaus ein extended use it will caus sludge. So I guess you either helped develop those motor oils or you know people on the research teams.

Idle flush additives are used during maintenance only, just like WD 40 is, but I did get reminded by one of the main dealers chief inspectors that they do not use them because of potential oil leak problems with older engines that develop after use (Some owners add them in their car park before an OCI), so they do have known side effects and are worth avoiding. That is one reason why some of the major oil companies only sell idle flush in bulk and don't advertise it. It's a free world and if you want to mix your own you can do so, although it's one easy way of invalidating a warranty.
There is no such thing as a non solvent flush, they just define the contents as thin oil or fuel to avoid calling it a flush. It's just legal word play.

Moly is used in the vast majority of good engine oils, but it is not used in the best of the new G4 and G5 full synthetics. I visit a local fluid analysis lab several times a month to talk to the geeks in a professional sense and they have Moly listed as a problem additive due to reactions with new detergent and dispersant additives, also they were keen to point out that if the basestock is good enough and the Zinc effective it is no longer required and those chaps are Dr Eng and well above the prof level.

Even the best of engine oil companies will produce a snake oil that is not fully tested if they think it will make a profit. They often change the contents of a product once real world results are available and some approvals for additives are withdrawn as a result. For example about 10 odd years ago GM had their own Zinc oil additive developed for an engine that did not like their own oil, but it had to be withdrawn due to exhaust fouling causing trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: skyship
Seems to contain a lot of Moly and about the same amount of detergents as a good oil. It might well improve the performance of a supermarket or Fleabay special, but don't forget that the top of the range full synthetics don't use Moly as they don't need it and adding anything to those quality oils tends to result in sludge and increased wear.
I don't think it is approved by any major vehicle manufacturer, which means it's just another snake oil.

Well if it just leads to sludge we can put one of those idle flushes in that you so highly recommend.
As far as mos2 goes I've been using pp in my hemi,was using Amsoil in my mustang or whatever boutique oil was floating my boat at the time. Using these high quality oils I still got a fuel economy improvement with the mos2 additive added to the oil.
I use it in my generators and air compressors as well and as far as I can tell there isn't any sludge.
Sunkship likes to paint with a very broad stroke,which is fine under lab conditions where every variable is consistent however out here in the real world every driver,driving style and application is different. So in essence sunkship has a point but in the real world where there are so many different variables painting with such a broad stroke isn't always the right thing to do.
When dealing in absolutes you're going to find the world is one big gray area.

Some engines don't form sludge very easily if you change the oil often enough even when it gets contaminated and if you want to chase low fuel economy figures a high Moly content oil might help, although using a thinner oil also makes a slight difference, BUT nearly every high Moly content oil is not defined as a long life oil and there was a good example of an extended OCI recently using a Redline oil that has a lot of Moly included, as the TBN had fallen to 0.5.
Many good long life oils contain Moly but in restricted amounts to allow room for larger detergent and dispersant contents without reducing the base stock concentration. Using more of a good additive does not always improve results and when it does there will often be a side effect like sludge or exhaust system fouling.

Last edited:
Looks like he found his way into this thread.
33.gif

Do you have a PhD in chemical engineering?

Most engineers don't get PhDs. Bazinga!

@skyship: If you're referring to GM EOS (zinc additive), it's still available, albeit with convoluted recommendations against using it as an oil supplement.

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut

"LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)

emphasis mine

But instead provides huge doses of phosphorus and soluble moly.

I'm uncomfortable about the product. They talk about sperm whale oil and how this miracle liquid wax ester (LXE) technology mimics this and provides the friction modifying, but in reality, it's just cheap P (probably TCP) and moly. It's very pricy for that too.

Has anyone checked if their tranny additives are the same thing? I would not be surprised.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut

"LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)

emphasis mine

I'm uncomfortable about the product. They talk about sperm whale oil and how this miracle liquid wax ester (LXE) technology mimics this and provides the friction modifying, but in reality, it's just cheap P (probably TCP) and moly. It's very pricy for that too.

Has anyone checked if their tranny additives are the same thing? I would not be surprised.

The LXE might be a form of the plant/veggie based ester compounds of which Mola often speaks.

Mola??? You out there?

I don't know what to think. They advertise it a magic ester product while its really loaded with a bunch of AP, AW and friction modifiers.

And it's not ester in the first place according to my oilyser measurements.

I bought it to quiet down cold engine noise in one of my cars (they advertise that property heavily) and the net result was more noise.

Totally false advertizing in my book.

Never read any advertising for an oil additive that was honest and most try to say it will cure any engine fault from rattles, leaks, smoke, drips to the common cold. Some engine oil advertising is not much better.
If it was a good product all they would need to say would be, as used by BMW or Porsch etc. Even a recommendation from Kia or Hyundai would help.

Quote:
The LXE might be a form of the plant/veggie based ester compounds of which Mola often speaks.

Mola??? You out there?

Right, the LXE esters are derived from veggy acids reacted with specific alcohols. This type of process is nothing really new, but their specific ester is well patented.

An additive package is added to veggy ester and other synthetic base oils.

RLI has a similar Booster pack with the addition of Antimony.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

Mola??? You out there?

Right, the LXE esters are derived from veggy acids reacted with specific alcohols. This type of process is nothing really new, but their specific ester is well patented.

An additive package is added to veggy ester and other synthetic base oils.

RLI has a similar Booster pack with the addition of Antimony.
Is the LXE really better for engines per say than a synthetic ester ? how ?

Their trans additives are the only one I have EVER seen mentioned by name in a TSB from Ford. Real credibility!

Pretty high quality and well researched products, IMO.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Their trans additives are the only one I have EVER seen mentioned by name in a TSB from Ford. Real credibility!

+1 I use their products w/o hesitation.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

+1 I use their products w/o hesitation.

A specifically patented ester...

This is going in my Saturn's next oil change. Already bought it off Amazon.

It has a 2 minute "light" knock on cold starts only, so I wanna give it a shot.

Quote:
Is the LXE really better for engines per say than a synthetic ester ? how ?

The LXE is a synthetic ester.

How is this product different than the auto-rx product. Aren't they both plant esters that you are adding to oil?

Back