Lubegard Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant - VOA

The last info I had, Auto-RX used two or three separate types of synthesized esters but to my knowledge, no vegetable derived esters.

I have no idea what components Auto-RX is currently using.

The bio-Tech EOA appears to be mostly a friction modifier - the Moly, an Anti-Wear additve - the phosphorus, and some calcium - a detergent, blended into their base oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: fpracha

I bought it to quiet down cold engine noise in one of my cars (they advertise that property heavily) and the net result was more noise.
May be the noise is related to injectors... What car & which engine oil grade were you using ?

LOL, I know what injectors sound like.
It's acceleration under load on cold to partially warm engine that produces a knock. Silent when hot.
GC 0W30 oil, toyota 2GR-FE engine.

I suspect that you have an exhaust manifold leak. It sounds just like the one I had on my 2000 Tundra V-8. A good inspection of heat shields and gaskets will reveal where it is coming from. A stethescope won't work until it occurs at idle.

Bump! Just because.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Bump! Just because.

smile.gif

THANK YOU for bumping this Turk, as I was just about to ask about the boron, calcium and magnesium content of this great product on the other thread in the oil additive forum.
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Turk
Bump! Just because.

smile.gif

THANK YOU for bumping this Turk, as I was just about to ask about the boron, calcium and magnesium content of this great product on the other thread in the oil additive forum.
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

Yep, saw this & just had the feeling to bump it; never really do it...
smile.gif

Any update? I got it in my Red Hot Saturn.

Anyone else run it??

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I don't know what to think. They advertise it a magic ester product while its really loaded with a bunch of AP, AW and friction modifiers.

And it's not ester in the first place according to my oilyser measurements.

I bought it to quiet down cold engine noise in one of my cars (they advertise that property heavily) and the net result was more noise.

Totally false advertizing in my book...

According to their patents, they are using their proprietary erucic acid esters as additional friction modifiers and cleaners, in addition to the boronic esters, calcium sulfonates, moly, phosphorous, etc.

MolaKule:

What type of molybdenum do you believe is used in this product? 1,891 seems like a high level of moly.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I don't know what to think. They advertise it a magic ester product while its really loaded with a bunch of AP, AW and friction modifiers.

According to their patents, they are using their proprietary erucic acid esters as additional friction modifiers and cleaners, in addition to the boronic esters, calcium sulfonates, moly, phosphorous, etc.

I'd love to try this stuff. I can't find it anywhere.

It might be time to shop online,since I can't find it locally and when I ask the counter help looks at me like I've got 3 heads.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

It might be time to shop online,since I can't find it locally and when I ask the counter help looks at me like I've got 3 heads.

Bought mine off Amazon.com. Best bang for the buck is the 32oz bottle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HI8HYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally Posted By: skyship
]

I used to think that adding Moly from a major engine oil company was fairly safe, but the new generation of Moly free oils (Including the last VOA for MAG 0/40)don't like Moly. If you search this site there is a UOA series for Castrol Edge plus Moly with a jump in wear metals and another for LM synthoil showing a big jump in insolubles.

MoS2 is insoluble, and as such would show up in a UOA. The bigger particles (apparently NOT trapped in the oil filter) show up as insolubles, the smaller particles as Moly.

I'll try to search for the castrol with moly analysis.

Quote:

If you are using Moly or any other oil additive in an expensive engine it is worth doing some before and after UOA's to check for an increase in wear metals or insolubles, otherwise you don't know what the result will be of any chemical reactions with the oils own add pack or dilution effects for the base stock.

MoS2 and graphite don't readily react with any of the oil additives, MoS2 can under certain conditions oxidise but the conditions where this happens aren't present in an engine. Graphite won't react period.

What can happen is that polar parts of the oil are attracted to the MoS2 or Graphite particles, covering them with a single or even double layer of molecules. This actually helps to keep the particles suspended. Esters are likely to do this, as are FAMEs should they enter the oil.

Originally Posted By: skyship

Some engines don't form sludge very easily if you change the oil often enough even when it gets contaminated and if you want to chase low fuel economy figures a high Moly content oil might help, although using a thinner oil also makes a slight difference, BUT nearly every high Moly content oil is not defined as a long life oil and there was a good example of an extended OCI recently using a Redline oil that has a lot of Moly included, as the TBN had fallen to 0.5.
Many good long life oils contain Moly but in restricted amounts to allow room for larger detergent and dispersant contents without reducing the base stock concentration. Using more of a good additive does not always improve results and when it does there will often be a side effect like sludge or exhaust system fouling.

I have a big dislike of the term Moly, especally since it's used both to describe MoS2 and MoDTC and MoDTP. The liquid versions need sulphur and heat to transform into MoS2, heat which comes from very high friction and wear. The sulphur comes from ZDDP mostly, which is why you don't often find a lot of "liquid moly" in low saps oils. MoDTC in iself also contains sulphur and MoDTP contains phosphor + sulphur, adding to the saps content.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
MolaKule:

What type of molybdenum do you believe is used in this product? 1,891 seems like a high level of moly.

I think they are using a form of the ester,
Molybdenum di(2-ethylhexyl) phosphorodithioate, owing to the moly and phos content.

Last edited:
MolaKule:

Molybdenum di(2-ethylhexyl) phosphorodithioate, owing to the moly and phos content.

If one were to use a molybdenum additive which would you recommend? This product or Liqui-Moly MOS2.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Amazon
Works for me.

Originally Posted By: richport29
MolaKule:

If one were to use a molybdenum additive which would you recommend? This product or Liqui-Moly MOS2.

I don't know why you would need it with modern oils.

How much do you guys use? I usually use around an ounce per quart. The bottle states 3 oz per quart but I think that's overkill. It also is pretty thin and seems like a 20 weight or even thinner.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Skyship what happened to the idle engine flushes you talked about? And what about you concocting your own engine cleaners for marine engines?

There are still some oil companies putting moly in oil. I think they probably know something. What exactly are your credentials? Do you have a PhD in chemical engineering? Are you a consultant to Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil/Exxon, Redline, Amsoil?

I last I heard Amsoil, a name brand company, still has two engine flushes. I think Valvoline makes a non-solvent engine flush. Golden Eagle or something like that. I am not sure about that.

If I am not sure about something do you see how I can state I am not sure about something. But you seem to be totally sure about everything-even the new high tech synthetic motor oils that you talk about. And you seem totally secure saying that those new high tech synthetic oils cannot have moly added, becaus ein extended use it will caus sludge. So I guess you either helped develop those motor oils or you know people on the research teams.
People buy the flushes and people buy the oil "boosters" that is why they are made.

Back