2012 Mazda5 (2.5L), Liqui Moly Special Tec AA 0W-20, 5134 mi

175,681 total miles on the vehicle. This is the 2.5L MZR L5-VE engine – slightly bigger than in previous Mazda5s and Mazda3s. 6MT.

First UOA on this engine. It's actually had a few oil changes since I bought it with ~157k miles, but those didn't make sense to sample because they weren't all under my control and didn't all use the same oil. I plan to stick with this oil for the foreseeable future, mainly because AFAIK it's the most appropriate 0W-20 that FCP Euro sells (sticking with them for their Lifetime Replacement Guarantee).

I assume this vehicle was meant for people to putter around rarely exceeding half throttle or like 3k RPM. That's.... not what I do. I have zero reservations about going WOT and making the needles swing when it's safe – which is fairly often given how slow this thing is. I do try not to let the revs get past 5k because I assume this engine wasn't meant to spend much time up there; this means I basically never let it make peak power (159 hp @ 6k RPM). I also drive gently and keep the revs low until the "cold coolant" light goes out (it doesn't have an actual temp gauge). But when merging on a highway, or when the road ahead is clean and clear and visibility is good, the loud pedal goes right to the floor and doesn't come up except to shift.

Given that, I have no way to understand how low these wear metals look. I did add 1 L of oil pretty close to the end of the OCI, which isn't insignificant given that an oil and filter change takes 5 L. But even if I multiply all of the wear metals numbers by 5/4, they still seem incomprehensibly low to me given the mismatch between my usage and what I assume the engine was designed for.

I am not taking this to mean the engine isn't wearing excessively. Just seems crazy to me.

Wear Metals

Iron - 10
Chromium - 0
Nickel - 0
Aluminum - 2
Copper - 1
Lead - 0
Tin - 0
Cadmium - 0
Silver - 0
Vanadium - 0

Particle Quantifier (PQ) Index - 12

Contaminant Metals

Silicon - 13
Sodium - 3
Potassium - 0

Multi-Source Metals

Titanium - 1
Molybdenum - 168
Antimony - 0
Manganese - 1
Lithium - 0
Boron - 38

Additive Metals

Magnesium - 461
Calcium - 1397
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 692
Zinc - 802

Other Contaminants

Fuel Dilution - 1.2% (GC)
Soot - Water -

Fluid Properties

Viscosity @ 100º C - 7.9 cSt
TBN - 3.06
Oxidation - 10
Nitration - 10
Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.35.17 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. I have one with 188k that needs no make up oil in 6-7k OCIs on Rural King 0W20 and a Fram filter.

You can probably go the recommended OCI of 7500 miles with those results.

Very trouble free engine. I’ve been running M1 0W-40 in mine. Mine doesn’t burn anything but I’ve owned it and serviced it from day 1.

The MZR / "L" / Duratec engine family is known for being absolute tanks when they are N/A 4 cylinder models. You can't kill them unless you really try, and even then it's hard to. Fantastic engines. Yours certainly seems to be following those footsteps.

Back