Mobil 1 0w-20 5k miles; Honda Accord 59k miles

i apologize, cannot attach the report. i must figure that out.

Original owner, 59,000 miles. honda accord 2012, V6, not direct injection 5,000 miles on Mobil 1 0W20. oil changes done regularly around 5,000 miles.
oil analyzers:
Iron 12
chromium 1
nickel 0
aluminum 2
copper 5
lead 1
tin, cadmium silver vanadium all 0
silicon 11
sodium 3
potassium and titanium 0
molybdenum 79
antimony 2
manganese 1
lithium 2
boron 39
magnesium 724
calcium 1090
barium 0
phosphorus 649
zinc 788
fuel dilute 2.2% by GC
soot and water less than 0.1%
viscosity at 100 C 7.5cSt
base 3.59 KOH mg/g
oxidation 14 abs/cm
nitration 14 abs/0.1mm

How to interpret?

THANKS SO MUCH! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Short trip car or maybe the sample was taken after a short trip? Asking due to the fuel in the sample.
Iron seems high for a 5K NA engine but not high enough to be worried in the short term.

Good report, Thanks for posting. Just keep an eye on the fuel. You probably change oil every 5k so it shouldn't really effect you.

THANK YOU thastinger and fantastic!

OK, the ENTIRE life of that car, 11 years, has been short trips. wife was a teacher in our same town. I DID do tons of Mobil 1 oil changes, about 5000 miles each, did timing belt twice, trans fluid, etc etc etc.
dumb questions:

1. what should the iron be? what does Iron mean? wear of a certain part?
2. assume that the fuel dilution has been 2% for 11 years. is that ok? should I change the oil every 2500 miles? this car STILL only does short trips.

thanks for any and all advice! Want to keep car, willing to change oil more often
best,
Bob

THANK YOU thastinger and fantastic!

OK, the ENTIRE life of that car, 11 years, has been short trips. wife was a teacher in our same town. I DID do tons of Mobil 1 oil changes, about 5000 miles each, did timing belt twice, trans fluid, etc etc etc.
dumb questions:

1. what should the iron be? what does Iron mean? wear of a certain part?
2. assume that the fuel dilution has been 2% for 11 years. is that ok? should I change the oil every 2500 miles? this car STILL only does short trips.

thanks for any and all advice! Want to keep car, willing to change oil more often
best,
Bob
First take a deep breath & realize you have a reliable Honda that will last you a very long time (mileage wise). You've been maintaining it wisely. Your iron is right inline with wear you'd expect at 2.4 PPM/1k Miles. That is nothing out of the ordinary. Iron comes from Iron piston sleeves, valve train components, etc. 2% fuel is very common these days. I advise to stay below 5% fuel & I doubt changing it at 5k intervals would ever reach that high. You could even sample at 6,500 miles & see how much more the fuel rises, IF ANY, to see if you could increase your oil drain interval. If there is very minimal or no fuel increase then you could run further out.

The wear rates in this UOA are within normal bounds; nothing to worry about.
The fuel, as others have said, is likely from the short trips. I'm curious; how short is "short" trips in terms of typical miles for each trip?

You might consider using a lessor cost lube; 5k miles in a Honda isn't exactly stressing the OCI ...
You could save a lot of money and still have similar wear rates.

THANK YOU ALL! I dug out a blackstone report from 2014. 2700 miles on mobil 1 0W20. cSt at 100 degrees C was 7.62
fuel under 0.5% flashpoint 400 degrees. TBN 3.4 I do have a science background, BUT in molecular. biology. I know something about data, but NOTHING about oil chemistry nor mechanical engineering of engines.

today's dumb questions>
1. this oil report, one data point in time: does it tell me the damage and wear of this engine over the last 59,000 miles? I used mobil 1 synthetic about every 5000 miles every time.
2. should I change oil earlier JUST because of 2.2% fuel dilution. especially Mr. Newton. letting the oil go longer, or using cheaper oil, how would that affect fuel dilution. If the fuel gets in so many ml per day, changing oil at 10,000 miles would give me a 4.4% dilution????? linear development?
3. at what point is fuel dilution definitely harmful?
4. would using a "great" oil, HPL or Amsoil allow me to change oil at 7500 miles? this car STILL does short trips. 4 miles and 8 miles. Massachusetts is cold in winter, car likely never warms up.
5. was this 7.5 centistokes OK at 100C?

this is a warmup for my first oil test on new RDX. It is turbo and direct injection, so I am quite curious.

My goal is not to save money on oil, but save the engine. car runs like new. all work done.

My goal is NOT to change oil too often and waste resources. am willing to try Amsoil and HPL and do oil tests.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND HELP!!
best regards,
Bob

No, there is no direct correlation between wear metals in the oil and engine damage. It only gives vague indication of something possibly wrong if the numbers are excessive (and yours are not). Fuel dilution at 2.2% is nothing to worry about and could possibly be mitigated by going on some longer drives where the oil gets up to temp longer. You do not need to use a boutique oil in this car as the excellent Mobil 1 oil you're using is perfectly adequate and they will not give appreciably better wear protection over a 5000 mile service interval.

With what you are doing, the engine will likely last way past the time that the rest of the car is a rolling junk pile. I would focus instead on keeping the rest of the car in good order. Transmission service, coolant, brakes, rust proofing, tires, etc.

The Blackstone report from 2014 doesn't give you a recommended change interval? They will usually say something like "try X miles next time" and that is based on the TBN in the report. If you sent in a sample that has 5K miles on it and the TBN was 3.4 still, that oil could go at least a couple thousand more miles.

Cared for a 2010 Honda w/V6 over 7+ year period. Never did uoa.
Yes to trannie service. I only did a few D&Fs and the fluid remained clean.
Yes to coolant refreshes. Radiator drains exactly 1 gallon. Honda per-mix.
I ask about that "silicon11". Make sure the lid is on the AF box etc.

today's dumb questions>
1. this oil report, one data point in time: does it tell me the damage and wear of this engine over the last 59,000 miles? I used mobil 1 synthetic about every 5000 miles every time.
2. should I change oil earlier JUST because of 2.2% fuel dilution. especially Mr. Newton. letting the oil go longer, or using cheaper oil, how would that affect fuel dilution. If the fuel gets in so many ml per day, changing oil at 10,000 miles would give me a 4.4% dilution????? linear development?
3. at what point is fuel dilution definitely harmful?
4. would using a "great" oil, HPL or Amsoil allow me to change oil at 7500 miles? this car STILL does short trips. 4 miles and 8 miles. Massachusetts is cold in winter, car likely never warms up.
5. was this 7.5 centistokes OK at 100C?
1) you can't use single micro-data UOAs to determine trends; further, you need large groups of UOAs to understand standard deviation and normal bounds. That's something that should be familiar to you if you've had any data training; statistical data processing isn't unique to UOAs. What single UOAs can tell you is if the wear at that time of the sample was in "normal" bounds relative to macro data (general population). It can also ID significant contamination issues (fuel; silica; coolant; soot).
2) Generally most folks agree that while fuel dilution isn't desirable, it's generally harmless below 5%; lower always better of course. We've seen many, many UOAs with fuel dilution higher than yours and still have acceptable wear.
3) fuel is "harmful" when it greatly escalates the wear rates; your data isn't near that by any means
4) any "great" oil could go 7.5k miles. But so could the oil you're using now. And so could several lessor cost lubes.
5) the vis is OK; about the center of the 20 grade range; https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

My goal is not to save money on oil, but save the engine. car runs like new. all work done.
Save the engine? From what? Are you implying that destruction is imminent because you're using Mobil1 every 5k miles?
Sir, you're being overly sensitive here. The lowest cost ST lube would suffice quite well for 5k miles, and very probably give you about the same wear rates.

My goal is NOT to change oil too often and waste resources. am willing to try Amsoil and HPL and do oil tests.
Then consider stretching out your OCIs. Try 7.5k miles the next change and take a sample. If all is good, then 10k miles. Frankly, you are wasting resources in your current OCI plan. Even conventional lubes could easily do 5k miles. Heck, many are capable of doing 10k miles quite well. What you need to understand is that syn lubes do nothing to dissuade the effects of fuel dilution. So using a "great" expensive syn lube isn't going to make you able to extend your resource conservation IF fuel content is your main concern.

You're going to have to make a decision here, because some of your goals are counter-indicative. You cannot say you want to conserve resources, and yet change a syn oil every 5k miles.
- if the fuel content scares you, and you're 100% committed to doing frequent OCIs, then quit using such expensive lube, as any API appropriate house brand would do just as well.
- if you are willing to monitor the fuel level, and are willing to experiment with longer OCIs backed up with UOAs, then by all means do so!

When you get a chance, please read this regarding UOA data analysis:

I posted a UOA that you might be interested in seeing for comparision - 2011 Odyssey with probably the same motor as your Accord has. Reference point on your iron question.

Just a suggestion, it would be beneficial to "exercise" your Accord, say once or twice a week with a good hour highway run at 60-70 mph to heat up the oil, dry out the exhaust system and fully circulate the coolant. The Acura with it's small displacement turbocharged engine does not tolerate short trips especially in cold weather well, you'll likely see higher levels of OD, so watch for oil rising on the dipstick. Again, getting it fully warmed up more often will help. Honda's 1.5t engines are very cool running.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I have no ego about this, and I AM here to learn. from all your comments, I think:

1. I am being safe and conservative with oil changes. Next, I will run the Mobil 1 I just put in LONGER, and test. maybe I can test oil without changing, like use a pump. No one is worried about my fuel dilution or metals. I do not want to waste oil. maybe 7500 miles next. i will check oil level as I go.
2. I will take Accord on the highway every week or 2 for 60 minutes.
3. I will keep up with all fluids, like I have been. Trans. fluid done, radiator fluid done, timing belt twice. brake fluid, etc.
4. I will keep using synthetic oil. from my reading, engine wear occurs also at start up. Mass. is cold in winter.

This is all a warm up for my RDX!!!! I changed the oil at 5,000 miles. using Mobil 1. I kept the factory fill in for that 5000 miles.(more molybdenum?) At 7,000 miles I tried to pump oil out of the dipstick. the hose would not go down far enough. My concerns: this is a direct injection, turbo motor. I will definitely test soon, somehow or other! New 2023 Acura RDX. 7,000 miles.

please send all your advice and comments. I do NOT want to waste oil. Happy to go 10,000 miles on Mobil 1, if my tests say ok!!!!
best regards, bob

@Robert2468 — your analysis looks fine, all things considered. The accord is taking the beating with stride. Carry on with 5k intervals. I see no reason to change until you WANT to extend the OCIs for kicks and giggles of the community. 👍🏼

Back