Looking at my first riding mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
$1500 new won't buy much.

My advice is to look out for an older (late 60's-70's) Wheel Horse. $500-$800ish depending on the condition all day long around here. Step it up a bit for a used G series diesel Kubota. Maybe around $2000-$2500?

Blades and blowers can be found for both, but from what I understand, you are better off trying to find one that comes with what you are wanting so you know you have everything and aren't missing some rare $200 bracket.

He only has 1/2 acre to do, not 3. He can easily get a 42 inch unit for that money. It all depends if you want to spend your time repairing it or sipping lemonade under a tree admiring your newly cut 1/2 acre.

Last edited:
Good grief! Just get a John Deere 210, 212, 214, or 216, give it a good re-conditioning and be done with it already. Plenty of them around and they will outlast any $1500 box store pile of junk, even as old as they are.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Good grief! Just get a John Deere 210, 212, 214, or 216, give it a good re-conditioning and be done with it already. Plenty of them around and they will outlast any $1500 box store pile of junk, even as old as they are.

He is just doing 1/2 acre not 3. With decent maintenance, he will get 15-20+ years out of it and a warranty. Get off your Tim Tool Guy soapbox with your used stuff which likely had a hard life with cracked tires, worn mower bearings,pulleys and a half worn out engine.

Last edited:
The old iron is fun to own if you're into tinkering and wrenching on them. With exception to older 'deeres, most are much more of a chore to mow with than today's lighter, flimsier stuff. They take a city block to turn around, can have the controls in awkward spots and can be all around uncomfortable. Worst I had in this regard was my Case 220. Strong as a tank, but was like mowing with an anvil.

Last edited:
I thik this is a case of asking too much. You absolutely cannot buy a $1500 machine new and expect it to push snow. Most of these are lower end models are belt driven, and that absolutely will not push any snow.

Get a good mower.

Get a good snow blower. Heck, an old beat up truck with a snow plow on it could be found for $1500, and you could sell if for $1500 after your done with it in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back