Long distance Facebook score on a spare tire kit and set of hubcaps.

Been searching FBMP off and on over a month for these and figured it would make a productive rainy day roadtrip to pick them up on a 250 mile round trip as nothing local has come up at any reasonable price.

My Civic R doesn't come with a spare tire or even a jack or tools, so if you get a flat that's got too much damage to seal by the side of the road, you have to call a tow truck to take you to a place that will patch it, or if not repairable, to a tire store to replace it at the "customer over a barrel" rate. That's assuming this happens during normal business hours. Plus this car didn't even come with the can of sealant which Honda charges $92 for. Searched for the spare tire and jack that the base Civics come with and which Honda would charge over $700 if you bought everything from them, tire $110, wheel $90, jack $160, tool kit $350, foam container $150. Picked this up for $50. Locally I saw them for $150 to $250.

civic spare.jpg

Also needed a set of wheel covers for my Subaru Impreza. On the way up for the tire, I got a message from the wheel cover seller confirming they were the 16 inch size I needed. It was just coincidence that he was just 40 miles away from the tire pick up, and for $20, I would have gone a lot further or paid a bit more. Around here they wanted $80 to $150 for a set, because Subaru charges $90 for just one new cap.

hubcaps.jpg

Driving the hybrid, I used less than $15 in gas and you couldn't ship just the hub caps for that much. Plus I'm more than happy to rack up the miles on this car in anticipation of sticking on the 250,000 mile decal pretty soon.

If I get a flat in the front, I can remove the front tire, then remove the rear tire and put it on front, and then put the spare on the rear. Yea, a little more work, maybe 5 minutes, but how often do you get a flat these days?

If I get a flat in the front, I can remove the front tire, then remove the rear tire and put it on front, and then put the spare on the rear. Yea, a little more work, maybe 5 minutes, but how often do you get a flat these days?
You should be doing that anyway on a FWD vehicle.

You should be doing that anyway on a FWD vehicle.
My daughter got a flat on the rear of her VW Golf and ruined the tire. I put a winter wheel/tire on it and she went to sams club and bought and had mounted a new tire. They insisted putting it on the front and moving the existing front to the rear. Why...is that standard protocol nowadays? I have always put the best tires up front. Am I wrong?

My daughter got a flat on the rear of her VW Golf and ruined the tire. I put a winter wheel/tire on it and she went to sams club and bought and had mounted a new tire. They insisted putting it on the front and moving the existing front to the rear. Why...is that standard protocol nowadays? I have always put the best tires up front. Am I wrong?
I think that @zzyzzx is saying never put a donut on the front for a front wheel drive car.

My understanding for where should the best tires be on a front wheel drive car is on the rear. If you're replacing two, put the old ones up front and the new ones in the back and it'll have better traction and reduce the risk of kicking out in adverse conditions.

Back