All-season/all-weather tire with long SHELF life?

My M3 doesn't come with a spare tire. I'm considering buying a full-size spare for the occasional road trip.

I want it to

1. Be usable in a variety of conditions (including snow), and
2. Last as long as possible in storage (100% indoors).

Literally nothing else about the tire matters.

Yes, I am considering a space saver as well. I just don't like the idea of having to stick to 50 mph and 50 miles of range, given the road trips I'm considering.

Default option would be the Michelin Crossclimate 2, though I know that tire has a lot of talents that don't really matter in this context. Might anything else meet the criteria similarly or better?

Last edited:
I'd stick with a space saver. I ran a space saver from Philly to Pittsburgh at normal speed on the PA turnpike without any issues.
Really don't notice your running a space saver in normal driving.

IDK man. I hit the curb doing donuts in the snow, entertaining my daughter. Anyway, I hit the wheel, and bent the subframe, but somehow wheel did not have any cracks, just rash. I still was not confident, so I got another used wheel and bought the cheapest available tire at DT, Sentry UHP, or something else, I put it on that wheel, I hit a curb, and now it is in my trunk as a spare. It says on the wall, "All weather," lol.

IDK man. I hit the curb doing donuts in the snow, entertaining my daughter. Anyway, I hit the wheel, and bent the subframe, but somehow wheel did not have any cracks, just rash. I still was not confident, so I got another used wheel and bought the cheapest available tire at DT, Sentry UHP, or something else, I put it on that wheel, I hit a curb, and now it is in my trunk as a spare. It says on the wall, "All weather," lol.
Now I know why you want UHP on a minivan.... ;) :ROFLMAO:

All tires have roughly the same shelf life. How you keep it may stretch it out a little further, but even in a sealed trunk compartment, once you get much out past 10 years, you are taking a chance with any tire, including an unused spare. Especially if the spare is going to be working harder or carrying a borderline load on the road.

I would resist the urge for a fifth road wheel. Been there, done that. It gets really expensive (especially if you want matched wheels) and is a lot of unnecessary work, and will also soil up the stowage compartment eventually. Stick with a dedicated spare on a car. Drop it in, and leave it there (other than to check pressures).

Start with the premise that a modern spare is for emergency use, so it doesn’t need to top the Tire Rack survey or last for 70,000 miles. It only needs to get you to the next service station. Most today are irregular sized to the road set, and can cause drivetrain issues on some cars if left on for too long. It’s likely not ever traveling more than 15 miles, and probably will be rolling under 45 mph. That thinking can save money.

And most spares never get used. So whatever you spend, there’s a good chance that eventually you’ll be tossing an unused tire as it ages out. If you have an option, compact tires are considerably cheaper than the full sized ones. So you’ll only be tossing $100-125 vs. $200+ six, eight or ten years from now.

There is nothing wrong with a compact spare as long as you maintain it and don’t over use it. Otherwise, a full size spare is good if you want to finish off a trip before repairs, bearing in mind that many spare wheels today are not rated for the full duty life of a road wheel. For instance, a full sized Mercedes steel spare wheel is often only rated for 12,000 miles total, because they are not designed for more than that.

On a full size spare, I always buy the cheapest one that meets the size and load specs from a major maker. They are all warranted to last for 6 years, whether getting salt and gravel sprayed under a truck, or sealed away in a big German trunk. There is nothing wrong with dropping in a $175 Cooper all-season spare for your $300 Pilot Sports or LTXes.

If you are lucky enough to have the same road and spare sizes, you can also toss one of the old ones on the spare when you get a new set. As long as it doesn’t go out much more than ten years, most used ones still have another 15-20 miles in them. Sometimes, a mechanic buddy can even hunt a used one down for you.

Again, you won’t be taking the spare to Watkins Glen, or doing the US80 coast to coast tour on it. You’ll be taking the flattened one for service straight away.

And if you have no spare wheel package at all, there are also a couple vendors that sell complete compact spare packages custom fitted to your vehicle as a turnkey option.

I just went through this nonsense on four vehicles. Most people never crack open the compartment, and after 12-15 years it becomes an archaeological site in there. Useless and often dangerous when you finally need it on the side of the road.

But if you have just one road breakdown, you’ll be glad you invested in decent spares.

All tires have roughly the same shelf life. How you keep it may stretch it out a little further, but even in a sealed trunk compartment, once you get much out past 10 years, you are taking a chance with any tire, including an unused spare. Especially if the spare is going to be working harder or carrying a borderline load on the road.

Don't know about that, the formulations between brands even within the same manufacturer could vary greatly. I've had Michelins that had dry rot cracks in 5 years and also a no-name spare that I kept on the roof (in the sun) that looked fine after 20 years. It's kind of hit or miss.

It's kind of overkill to be replacing a spare that sits in a trunk away from the elements every 10 years though. Just check the air every year and it's probably ok for the life of the vehicle.

Back