Liqui Moly MoS2 interesting sediment pics.

This may be slightly OT but, I am due to start a LONG roadtrip soon. I'm talking about more than 1000 miles each direction, MOST of it long uninterrupted highway cruising with the cruise control on. I will endeavor to swing by NAPA, and add a can of Mos2. For those that don't know, a can is approximately the same size as a 12oz can of Red Bull.

I may even "rinse" the inside of the can one time, as I hear there is a lot of residual Mos2 that stays in there. The stuff is a lot like grease, just pours easier. Slightly.

I will be only ever so slightly above the MAX marks on my oil dipstick and my oil isn't even dirty yet so I think this could be a very good thing for the engine. You all agree?

Oh, and it will be added to hot/fully warmed motor oil too. Not cold. If that matters.
I'd pass and make the trip with a good oil and filter w/o the MoS2.

This may be slightly OT but, I am due to start a LONG roadtrip soon. I'm talking about more than 1000 miles each direction, MOST of it long uninterrupted highway cruising with the cruise control on. I will endeavor to swing by NAPA, and add a can of Mos2. For those that don't know, a can is approximately the same size as a 12oz can of Red Bull.

I may even "rinse" the inside of the can one time, as I hear there is a lot of residual Mos2 that stays in there. The stuff is a lot like grease, just pours easier. Slightly.

I will be only ever so slightly above the MAX marks on my oil dipstick and my oil isn't even dirty yet so I think this could be a very good thing for the engine. You all agree?

Oh, and it will be added to hot/fully warmed motor oil too. Not cold. If that matters.
No need to rinse the can, just shake it up per their instructions and add it hot or cold, nothing complicated needed. Sure, I'm always in the "why not" camp with this stuff. The type of driving you are doing however is not particularly hard on an engine.

No need to rinse the can, just shake it up per their instructions and add it hot or cold, nothing complicated needed. Sure, I'm always in the "why not" camp with this stuff. The type of driving you are doing however is not particularly hard on an engine.

I agree with you there, but I thought it was great to put thousands of miles on the Mos2 so that it can do all its sealing, moly-bonding-with-moly-ing...

Ah ok got it. Proceed to moly! 🤣

If I had money, I'd actually change the oil? Might even try Mobil 1 this time. I don't know what I'm so afraid of. Might even do 5W-30, even if 0W-40 is technically a better oil... Same price... But of course, this week all my $$$ has to go to gas.

I'm thinking the $7-$10 or so on that Moly can will let my oil be so Moly'd up it will be like I changed the oil anyways. My engine runs fine and my oil is spot on to the MAX mark.

I'm just bored.

I also once saw it said that Moly likes a lot of miles and heat to work the best, for whatever added benefit it does, Moly consistently comes up as the one additive people would actually put in an engine, whereas the rest of the shelves at stores are nonsense and you can only really get Lubro-Moly Mos2 from online and NAPA...

I don't think the mos2 causes issues but I also don't like the idea of it settling. That's why I personally switched from that to Biotech.

That's my take on this as well.

I switched to biotech on my last oil change when I started this thread ~2K miles ago. When I do my next oil change, I'll post up a pic of the filter innards to see if we see anything.

I don't know if I'll continue to rotate MoS2 one oil change and Biotech the next, stick with just biotech, or go with nothing but my usual supertech 5w30 synthetic and Champ PH48 filter.

I can agree that my engine probably does not need the Mos2. There would have been a time where I was chasing down almost mythical WS3. Never seen a WS3 additive myself.

But. With only 6k maybe 7k miles on my oil, and it is exactly middle brown... I feel better with a boost of Moly. Especially with about 2500 miles on the car this week. It can do that without breaking a sweat. Doesn't p

I would change my oil with Redline if I had the money. Believe it or not, that oil is oh so smooth and vs something from the store and off the shelf.. no need to ever try out Pennzoil. Just a thought.

I can agree that my engine probably does not need the Mos2. There would have been a time where I was chasing down almost mythical WS3. Never seen a WS3 additive myself.

But. With only 6k maybe 7k miles on my oil, and it is exactly middle brown... I feel better with a boost of Moly. Especially with about 2500 miles on the car this week. It can do that without breaking a sweat. Doesn't p

I would change my oil with Redline if I had the money. Believe it or not, that oil is oh so smooth and vs something from the store and off the shelf.. no need to ever try out Pennzoil. Just a thought.
If you want to use Tungsten, Liquimoly Molygen (they have multiple viscosities available) has it. My UOAs show about 150ppm of it.

If you want to use Tungsten, Liquimoly Molygen (they have multiple viscosities available) has it. My UOAs show about 150ppm of it.

I think I meant to put WS2.

I always top off with Redline oil anyways; my engine *may* use about a quarter quart every 3000 or so miles. I wonder if it should use none.

Now I am wondering if I should give the Mos2 a double shot. (Second can.) 🤔

I say fill the crankcase with it and lets see what happens. I'm thinking the engine will go into ludicrous speed mode.

I say fill the crankcase with it and lets see what happens. I'm thinking the engine will go into ludicrous speed mode.

I topped up my trans fluid level and I was able to bury the speed-o-meter. Was not able to do that before. It may have been a touch low.

It's still not ludicrous speed, though. That would require boost....

I topped up my trans fluid level and I was able to bury the speed-o-meter. Was not able to do that before. It may have been a touch low.

It's still not ludicrous speed, though. That would require boost....
Or a 640:1 mix of gasoline to antimatter in your tank.
The antimatter is a bit dry though so you might want to add some MMO or TC-W3.

Go for it...its good stuff.
I bet your mpgs will go down.

I ran a bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2 #2009 along with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a Napa gold filter in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi for 5300 miles. I accumulated these miles in just shy of 10 weeks. The truck currently has 20660 miles on the ticker.

I know there's plenty of MoS2 threads on here, some with people's experiences with it leaving some type of material or substance behind. I knew this going into it, but you can now count me as one who experienced finding something.

It's a graphite like material left behind on the dirty side of the oil filter. The oil filter on hemi Rams sits with the closed end down, so it's a perfect environment for material to settle.

As you can see from the pics, the material doesn't stick, it will run. If you wipe it on your finger, it doesn't stain, it wipes off with one swipe. The filter element itself looked normal to me. What drained from the truck was a bit dark, but not horrible. I drained it hot.

I can't say what I found is harmful and I doubt it is given how long this product has been on the market. Regardless, given what I found, I probably won't be using it again. I know I personally change oil to prevent stuff that looks like this.

ltuJbs2l.jpg

bK1U0yul.jpg

OXDqzKOl.jpg

GdUUmNRl.jpg

R38mLrZl.jpg

cuN7hbQl.jpg

sUu5HpVl.jpg
I just put a bottle and a half in my new to me Mercedes 3.5. It was black and felt gritty. It didn't say to but I shook it up. Made me question my decision. It went into Liquimoly oil.

Back