For an engine flush would you choose Liqui Moly or Lubegard engine flushes?

Looking for effective but "gentler" flush that can be accomplished while I drop off the car at an local mechanic to get the oil changed (in about 2k miles... currently oil has 1k... Doing a short OCI).

Idea is to drive to mechanic, book an appointment that's 30 min out, pour the flush while at a parking lot. Idle for 20 min and then give the keys to the mechanic so they can drive it into the bay and drain the oil / change filter.

I've use/have used the LM product in several vehicles many times. Certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Dude....

What are trying to accomplish again? You have a whole lot of posts about additives and flushes....what vehicle/what is the situation again?

Edit. Oh. The Volvo. Good God man. Try them all.

Last edited:
Why not just move to synthetic oil and let the oil do some cleaning over time? Any of these flush products are not going to do much for you. If they were strong enough to dissolve varnish and carbon, they would also dissolve your silicone seals, paper gaskets and just about every other seal in the engine.

Why not just move to synthetic oil and let the oil do some cleaning over time? Any of these flush products are not going to do much for you. If they were strong enough to dissolve varnish and carbon, they would also dissolve your silicone seals, paper gaskets and just about every other seal in the engine.
10-15 years ago there was much love for Kreen, what with dozens of multi-page threads on peoples successes. That's no more the case? Just a few randon examples for a few months:

So what kind of deposits are you seeing and where? Varnish? Sludge? And on the valvetrain or on the bottom?

Or is this just another mental exercise with imagined issues?

Looking for effective but "gentler" flush that can be accomplished while I drop off the car at an local mechanic to get the oil changed (in about 2k miles... currently oil has 1k... Doing a short OCI).

Idea is to drive to mechanic, book an appointment that's 30 min out, pour the flush while at a parking lot. Idle for 20 min and then give the keys to the mechanic so they can drive it into the bay and drain the oil / change filter.
The LM stuff is basically C11-C13 Hydrocarbon Alkanes, basically a solvent for varnish and lacquers. You might as well dump some kerosene in without paying for the German-engineered price tag.

The HPL is a gentler flush, but... will not work in the manner you're expecting. It's something that you replace a quart of (in a 5 quart crank), and go for a short OCI (about 2k miles), in a manner similar to the previous BITOG popular engine flush, AutoRX.

My experience with the gentler flushes is that they really don't do enough. If that is what you are looking for, then I would recommend LiquiMoly, as it very well known and used alot by owners of German cars without issues.

You may wish to use the gentler flushes like LiquiMoly to do some cleaning, and then eventually use stronger flushes.
The flush I've found most effective is: BG EPR 109. It is likely the most effective engine flush as it is one of the few flushes that targets piston ring cleanliness (in addition to sludge/varnish). It has very different ingredients and odor than other flushes I've used. You can find it on Amazon: 4 cans sold together for about $45 total.

Use the flush, you have nothing to lose but a few bucks, many folks have reported improved oil consumption after using some of these products. I'd probably do it a few times with v. short OCIs and cheap (ST) oil/filters. Clearly the slow/long game is using an oil like the BITOG-popular HPL wtih lots of esters/ANs that promote deposit removal. Their EC is not going to do this for you in a 1 qt shot.

Back