Liqui Moly MoS2 interesting sediment pics.

JTK

I ran a bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2 #2009 along with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a Napa gold filter in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi for 5300 miles. I accumulated these miles in just shy of 10 weeks. The truck currently has 20660 miles on the ticker.

I know there's plenty of MoS2 threads on here, some with people's experiences with it leaving some type of material or substance behind. I knew this going into it, but you can now count me as one who experienced finding something.

It's a graphite like material left behind on the dirty side of the oil filter. The oil filter on hemi Rams sits with the closed end down, so it's a perfect environment for material to settle.

As you can see from the pics, the material doesn't stick, it will run. If you wipe it on your finger, it doesn't stain, it wipes off with one swipe. The filter element itself looked normal to me. What drained from the truck was a bit dark, but not horrible. I drained it hot.

I can't say what I found is harmful and I doubt it is given how long this product has been on the market. Regardless, given what I found, I probably won't be using it again. I know I personally change oil to prevent stuff that looks like this.

ltuJbs2l.jpg

bK1U0yul.jpg

OXDqzKOl.jpg

GdUUmNRl.jpg

R38mLrZl.jpg

cuN7hbQl.jpg

sUu5HpVl.jpg

Ehhh....some sludge +MoS2 particles...

Sludge will be there anyway....as filter is soposed to filter that...

Could be, but I've probably cut open 100 oil filters and have never found this type or amount of material.

The filter on the last oil change (without MoS2) had nothing like this.

I used the whole 10.1oz bottle of MoS2. Hemi sump holds 7qts.

I like the filter cutter. I'll watch this thread and post up my filter can contents after my next oil change. I just did a flush and filled with Mobil 1 05W 30 and MoS2. It's probably going to be a year or more for mine to accumulate OCI mileage. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for that post. I used the stuff once and had a drop in gas mileage the whole time. Won't be using it again.

I guess I am scratching my head; i am not a regular user of this product, but I recall it looking exactly like the finger tip picture when i poured it into the engine (i.e. that's what it look like)

Thanks for that post. I used the stuff once and had a drop in gas mileage the whole time. Won't be using it again.

You can't be serious; 49 other variables that were not controlled.
That being said, I'm not defending use of the product, just indicating the product didn't cause your mpg loss.

I guess I am scratching my head; i am not a regular user of this product, but I recall it looking exactly like the finger tip picture when i poured it into the engine (i.e. that's what it look like)

MoS2 is for sure black right out of the bottle. You can see a contrast of different colors in the first two filter pics. The lighter color is what the drained oil looked like. The blacker, greasier stuff is what settled in the bottom of the filter can. I have seen bits of sediment in other used filters I've cut open over the years, but it always had a sooty feel to it and there was very little of it. This was just like a grease or thicker oil and it covered the whole filter bottom.

Thanks for sharing. I stopped using it years ago when Trav posted pictures of it settled in his oil pan. The vehicle had been started prior and moved to work on dropping the oil pan.

What? Dude, it's a 2019 with 20,000 miles on it, it shouldn't have ANY sludge. What you are seeing is all from the additive.
What if filter media of that Napa Gold oil filter is so good that it has Actually filtered the biggest MoS2 particles out of the suspension?
Filter media alone doesnt look sludged at all....
Anatomy_Oil_Filter_Flow.jpg

Regarding the oilflow of oil in filter....that MoS2 sludge is where it is supposed to be (on the top of the filter)!

Last edited:
moly disperson it is a solid and will settle out so normal

I wonder how long MoS2 takes to settle? My unscientific test of premixing it in the oil the day before showed it was still fully mixed and no sediment in the bottle after it was poured. Years ago I would just pour it straight into the motor. That cut open filter after running MoS2 is interesting. I have never cut open a filter before. Since becoming an injured "posting member" here I have a lot of time on my hands. So I'll start cutting them open and checking.

What if filter media of that Napa Gold oil filter is so good that it has Actually filtered the biggest MoS2 particles out of the suspension?
Filter media alone doesnt look sludged at all....
Anatomy_Oil_Filter_Flow.jpg

Regarding the oilflow of oil in filter....that MoS2 sludge is where it is supposed to be (on the top of the filter)!
In either instance, it's from the product and clearly not desirable. If the product has particles large enough to get filtered out, that's loading up the filter and that's a problem. If the product is separating and settling out in an area of high flow (the filter) that's also a problem.

In either instance, it's from the product and clearly not desirable. If the product has particles large enough to get filtered out, that's loading up the filter and that's a problem. If the product is separating and settling out in an area of high flow (the filter) that's also a problem.

That's the weird thing about this. You can't see/feel any particles by eye like you would typical sediment on the dirty side of a used oil filter. Also, the skin on my hands is pretty beat up and will typically stay stained no matter how hard I scrub them afterwards. This greasy substance wipes right off. Like you say, the big unknown is, is there a build-up left behind in the nooks and crannies of the engine and will it continue to build up if you continue to use MoS2? Maybe this is per design. Could it be the magical moly gift that keeps on giving?

I refilled with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a 10oz bottle of Lubeguard biotech and used a Champ PF48 filter. I'll add to this thread or post a new one with that filter cut open once I put 5-6K miles on it.

Looks like the oil with some MoS2 in it which is what you would expect. I used it once and it's a dark grey colored with a "shimmery" appearance when you add it new and the used oil I drained for that interval looked to be similar to your pictures. It's a solid so I suppose none of this surprises me/what did you expect? I don't see any sludge. Just because something is different than you are used to seeing doesn't mean it's bad. If you took the new MoS2, dabbed your finger in it, and wiped it on a paper towel would you get a similar result? All the years this stuff has been on the market/used has there ever been a case of an issue caused by the supposed build up etc. that always is part of this discussion?

Looks like the oil with some MoS2 in it which is what you would expect. I used it once and it's a dark grey colored with a "shimmery" appearance when you add it new and the used oil I drained for that interval looked to be similar to your pictures. It's a solid so I suppose none of this surprises me/what did you expect? I don't see any sludge. Just because something is different than you are used to seeing doesn't mean it's bad. If you took the new MoS2, dabbed your finger in it, and wiped it on a paper towel would you get a similar result? All the years this stuff has been on the market/used has there ever been a case of an issue caused by the supposed build up etc. that always is part of this discussion?

Like I mentioned above, there were two totally discernible colors of materials left behind in the oil filter. The oil that drained from the engine and the darker, thicker grease like substance. I wish I would have taken the photo right after I cut the filter open. The pics you see is after the cut pieces and parts sat draining out for 10-15min.

Like I mentioned above, there were two totally discernible colors of materials left behind in the oil filter. The oil that drained from the engine and the darker, thicker grease like substance. I wish I would have taken the photo right after I cut the filter open. The pics you see is after the cut pieces and parts sat draining out for 10-15min.
I suggest you contact Liquimoly - they are v. responsive. Include the pics. and details V. curios what they say.

[email protected]

Back