Cleaning experiment

I just started an experiment with the sister vehicle (same year, similar mileage, same engine, same fleet and same maintenance) of the vehicle that I ran HPL 4.3L GDI silverado and got a bunch of carbon material in the filter after running HPL.

So for this 2nd vehicle it had 190k miles, and lives on dealer and instant oil changes its whole life always followed maintence minder you can see the varnish in the drain hole but no sludge. Internals look similar as the HPL vehicle.

Instead of running HPL I am using RISOLONE and will cut the filter open at the same 3K miles to see if there is any carbon. I am using the same oil(RGT 5w-30) as I did when I ran the HPL.

Vehicle has 500 miles since experiment started.

Interesting enough, devils advocate would suggest HPL cleaned everything up first time resulting in little carbon for this experiment. That or HPL loosened everything up and made the work easy for Risolone to do better than it normally would.

I'm honestly wondering what two bottles for an OCI would do, stuff seems to primarily be ester, I know they recommend a short OCI with 2 but I can't see it being that strong.

I heard that Redline oil is the bee's knees for engine cleaning. Apparently very aggressive.

Interesting enough, devils advocate would suggest HPL cleaned everything up first time resulting in little carbon for this experiment. That or HPL loosened everything up and made the work easy for Risolone to do better than it normally would.

I'm honestly wondering what two bottles for an OCI would do, stuff seems to primarily be ester, I know they recommend a short OCI with 2 but I can't see it being that strong.
My understanding is that he’s using Riselone on a similarly used vehicle of the same make etc. Not the actual same vehicle.

I wonder that also about using 2 bottles of Riselone for a full oci. I think they only recommend 100 miles because it could clean to much at once. In most cases it would probably be just fine.

This is a different vehicle. The two vehicles were put into service at the same time.

My understanding is that he’s using Riselone on a similarly used vehicle of the same make etc. Not the actual same vehicle.

I wonder that also about using 2 bottles of Riselone for a full oci. I think they only recommend 100 miles because it could clean to much at once. In most cases it would probably be just fine.
It is a 7 quart sump so I used 1.5 bottles of Rislone.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I would hope to see some carbon materials, maybe not as much as the HP EC but have some to indicate there is some cleaning.

If I don't see any materials in the oil filter then I would have to think it is snake oil.

This is a different vehicle. The two vehicles were put into service at the same time.
Fair point, my bad.

Still interested to see as well.

I have used the YB 32oz Rislone in several vehicles and it does clean up varnish and sludge. It has helped reduce the oil consumption in my Elements 2.4l over several oil changes. A piston soak, several changes w Rislone and then 5oz of Gumout Multi-System Tune Up for the last 500miles of an oil change brought it from close to 2 qts in a 5k mile oci down to little over a 1/2 qts/5k oci. HPL EC30 got it down to just a few ounces
My point is you will clean some sludge in one run of Rislone but don't expect a miracle cleaner. It has ~ 10% esters in it so it will clean and is not snake oil by any means. It will take time and for the price is worth the money. As far as comparing to HPL EC not as fast but will still get the job done eventually.

I heard that Redline oil is the bee's knees for engine cleaning. Apparently very aggressive.
Some people on here have reported according to Amsoil itself says it is the opposite. Who knows where the truth lies. For me never used it so no first hand experience.

Running 2 bottles of Rislone concentrate in my 2005 ‘Barra’ engined Falcon. Put 800 kms on it last weekend and it just gets better…

I just started an experiment with the sister vehicle (same year, similar mileage, same engine, same fleet and same maintenance) of the vehicle that I ran HPL 4.3L GDI silverado and got a bunch of carbon material in the filter after running HPL.

So for this 2nd vehicle it had 190k miles, and lives on dealer and instant oil changes its whole life always followed maintence minder you can see the varnish in the drain hole but no sludge. Internals look similar as the HPL vehicle.

Instead of running HPL I am using RISOLONE and will cut the filter open at the same 3K miles to see if there is any carbon. I am using the same oil(RGT 5w-30) as I did when I ran the HPL.

Vehicle has 500 miles since experiment started.
Any update on this?

Update: Just changed oil with slightly under 3K miles. 2934

Cut the filter open and there were also carbonaceous deposits, though I would say bit quite the same amount as the HPL.

It appears the Rislone also does some cleaning. Although the deposits felt grittier than with the HPL which would disolve in you hand. These stayed more solid like a fine sand almost.

Back