Liqui-Moly Class III??

There is some kind of fascination for everything made in Germany here in America. And in Europe it's a fascination for everything made in USA. Exotism.
It's because they're seen as a competitor in manufacturing. Especially higher order goods.

LM ist the Nr. 1 brand here in germany for 10 Years in a row. A lot of my Co-workers and frinds use it. And, by the the way, nobody complains oil consumption with LM. In contrast, Castrol is the least beloved oil brand here in germany among gearheads.

Go figure.
That's interesting. It's my perception that here in the US Castrol and Mobil hold the top spots for Euro cars. Both Castrol's and Mobil's 0w40s are darlings here on BITOG as well.

That's interesting. It's my perception that here in the US Castrol and Mobil hold the top spots for Euro cars. Both Castrol's and Mobil's 0w40s are darlings here on BITOG as well.
Go to any VW/Audi forum or FB group and read through the oil posts etc. LM is a big name in that world regardless of what folks here use or think is better. Just stating what I've seen/read. They market heavily in that community through the large online Euro vendors (just look at FCP Euro, BMP, shopdap, ECS, Urotuning, Euro events like Alpine Volks Fair, the list continues...) as well as through their racing team sponsorship/partnerships with the big tuners (Unitronic) and it's to a point where I've read posts to the effect "What oil should use to top off..my LM won't be here for a week." with the responese "You can use M1 0W40 but only for topping off, get that LM in as soon as possible." Always cracks me up. To be fair, plenty of responses will be from the Castrol/M1 folks and in the end they have to have the larger market share overall as their 0W and 5W40 offerings seem to be the gold-standard and these groups/forums are only pulling a fraction of the overall ownership of these cars.

basically says it all

Attachments

• 257458C5-654E-461A-8389-1DE1F5695C35.jpeg
    257458C5-654E-461A-8389-1DE1F5695C35.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 76
While it's true that LM gained some increase in popularity in Germany last 20 years I'd say Castrol is still the best known brand for oil. I feel Mobil and LM come next, then Shell. Ravenol, Fuchs, Rowe, Motul, Total/Elf, Penrite, Redline, Amsoil and Millers aren't that well known, the average Joe in Germany probably won't even ever have heard of them. Despite that Mobil, Ravenol, Motul, Penrite, Redline, Amsoil, Fuchs and Rowe are highly regarded among car enthusiasts. It's different compared to the US, but not that much different. In particular Castrol and Mobil are popular on both sides of the pond.

While it's true that LM gained some increase in popularity in Germany last 20 years I'd say Castrol is still the best known brand for oil. I feel Mobil and LM come next, then Shell. Ravenol, Fuchs, Rowe, Motul, Total/Elf, Penrite, Redline, Amsoil and Millers aren't that well known, the average Joe in Germany probably won't even ever have heard of them. Despite that Mobil, Ravenol, Motul, Penrite, Redline, Amsoil, Fuchs and Rowe are highly regarded among car enthusiasts. It's different compared to the US, but not that much different. In particular Castrol and Mobil are popular on both sides of the pond.
I have to believe that M1 is the most well-known oil in the world.

Go to any VW/Audi forum or FB group and read through the oil posts etc. LM is a big name in that world regardless of what folks here use or think is better. Just stating what I've seen/read. They market heavily in that community through the large online Euro vendors (just look at FCP Euro, BMP, shopdap, ECS, Urotuning, Euro events like Alpine Volks Fair, the list continues...) as well as through their racing team sponsorship/partnerships with the big tuners (Unitronic) and it's to a point where I've read posts to the effect "What oil should use to top off..my LM won't be here for a week." with the responese "You can use M1 0W40 but only for topping off, get that LM in as soon as possible." Always cracks me up. To be fair, plenty of responses will be from the Castrol/M1 folks and in the end they have to have the larger market share overall as their 0W and 5W40 offerings seem to be the gold-standard and these groups/forums are only pulling a fraction of the overall ownership of these cars.
Einstein once said:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not so sure about the universe."

Einstein once said:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not so sure about the universe."
I responded with "you are kidding right?"...hahahahahah

M1 and Castrol can be found in car oriented stores only. Along with Yacco, sometimes Repsol, etc.
The "biggest" car parts online retailer sells Total/Elf Castol and Petronas I believe, although that's changing rapidly.
I don't remember ever seing LM, only in some smaller online stores.

Interesting. That's how it looks in German hardware stores:

Motoroelkauf-Baumarkt-169Gallery-5900bd67-861623.jpg

Motoroelkauf-Baumarkt-169Gallery-8f80a6c0-861624.jpg

Motoroelkauf-Kfz-Fachhandel-169Gallery-6bc53203-861627.jpg

Motoroelkauf-Kfz-Fachhandel-169Gallery-e7ca0c42-861626.jpg

Motoroelkauf-Auswahl-169Gallery-36a91ac7-861622.jpg
Wait, are they are organized by group 3 or 4? AHAHAHAHA

She is clearly struggling trying to find the PAO content of the various brands. She is also concerned that there is no moly in the Liqui-Moly and may be ready to speak to the manager.

Last edited:
Not in my country. Total/Elf, Shell and Motul would be. You can't find Mobil in supermarkets.

Which one, France or Canada? Because in Canada, it definitely is. Globally, it most likely is as well. Mobil 1 is, per the point you replied to, probably the most well-recognized synthetic oil brand globally.

Back