Liqui-Moly Class III??

If they are labeled full synthetic they have to be 75%. If they are labeled differently they can be less.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30 is labeled in Germany as SHC oil. in France as fully synthetic, both made in France or Finland.
I think that 75% requirement is an old wive's tale. It is clear that anything that is a distillate comes from petroleum. PAOs and Esthers don't require distillation.

Well first off OldCowboy is hardly a newbie, he's been on here for ten years.

And where am I arguing? I answered his questions with correct answers. There is in fact someone who is actually arguing in this thread, perhaps your criticism should be directed elsewhere.
DA44D5CC-1CF3-4EE7-857E-7F4EA7821F80.gif

At this point, people just believe whatever makes them feel better.
It is always around Liqui Moly. People buy it bcs. Made in Germany, you tell them that matters as much as Made in Zimbabwe and they go fishing for people to agree with their confirmation bias. No German vehicle manufacturer uses anything Liqui Moly as OE. That should tell them something.

It is always around Liqui Moly. People buy it bcs. Made in Germany, you tell them that matters as much as Made in Zimbabwe and they go fishing for people to agree with their confirmation bias. No German vehicle manufacturer uses anything Liqui Moly as OE. That should tell them something.
There is some kind of fascination for everything made in Germany here in America. And in Europe it's a fascination for everything made in USA. Exotism.

I'm not getting this on
There is some kind of fascination for everything made in Germany here in America. And in Europe it's a fascination for everything made in USA. Exotism.
I think it’s because of the long ago ruling about synthetic oil definition. Germany was the only place that kept going with the original definition of synthetic oil. So people are interested in getting real synthetic oil by the old standard and there’s no clear way to tell.

But now we're falling into the trap this thread insinuates about GrpIII. Being HC doesn't disqualify LM from having some excellent GrpIII products. Regardless of their marketing being somewhat over-the-top.

Perhaps a call to the company will end all the speculation. Or you'll get the typical oil company response and be in the same boat you're in now, which is not knowing for sure. There are 53 posts above this one, and still no definitive answer.

Last edited:
I have seen it said on BITOG that Liqui-Moly synthetic oils are Class III. This is the oil I plan to use for my next OCI.
It is made in Germany and labeled "fully synthetic." I was under the impression that oils labeled as "fully synthetic" in Germany had to be Class IV or Class V oils. Has this changed?
LiquiMoly has 2 types of oil, Fully Synthetic and Synthetic Technology.
Fully Synth is what the name says and the Synth Tech is not group IV, but III
The reason for this is that for some engines a grp III base works better with the additives used for that engine.
Frankly in today's oils the difference between the 2 is mainly on paper.

Perhaps a call to the company will end all the speculation. Or you'll get the typical oil company response and be in the same boat you're in now, which is not knowing for sure. There are 53 posts above this one, and still no definitive answer.
There is a definintive answer to the OPs question which has been presented several times in this thread. The oil in his OP, the Top Tech 4210 0W30, is a Group 3 HC oil. This oil bottled for the NA market will be labeled as being "fully synthetic", in Germany, it will be labeled "synthetic technolgy" due to their law on this matter w/r needing XYZ% of Group4 which this oil clearly does not have. I don't see the confusion here.

Last edited:
The german LM Homepage show 17 oils sold and labeld here as "Vollsynthetisch" - Group IV. Here are screenshots:
The only one I see you can get in the U.S. is the Synthoil Energy 0W40 which doensn't have approvals...I wouldn't bother just to be able to tell folks at Cars and Coffee that you have "fully synthetic oil bro...you know...Group 4 base stocks".

Back