Liqui-Moly Class III??

There is a definintive answer to the OPs question which has been presented several times in this thread. The oil in his OP, the Top Tech 4210 0W30, is a Group 3 HC oil. This oil bottled for the NA market will be labeld as being "fully synthetic", in Germany, it will be labeled "synthetic technolgy" due to their law on this matter w/r needing XYZ% of Group4 which this oil clearly does not have. I don't see the confusion here.
It appears there's lots of confusion, three pages worth now. When I want to be 100% certain I make a call and ask, or reach out to members I'm sure will know, sometimes that helps a lot.

It appears there's lots of confusion, three pages worth now. When I want to be 100% certain I make a call and ask, or reach out to members I'm sure will know, sometimes that helps a lot.
I'm not confused..hahahaha. I just answered it definatively in one post. Others have posted that this oil is not shown on the German site as being fully synthetic.

BTW: Motul tried to label their oils as "Fullysyntehtic" (Group IV) here in germany, what clearly was wrong advertising according to german law.

A competitor sued Motul and they lost the case on court here in germany. Motul was convicted to re-label all their oils in Germany.... its now called "Synthese-Technologie" here. Annother marketing Buzz word. In contrast to LM, Motul dont have a single one "Fullsyntethic" Group IV oil in their product range.

But here on BITOG, LM allways get critisized for wrong advertising, while Motul is praised for their "Fullsyntethic" oils.

Oh Boy.... :unsure::rolleyes:

And there lies the confusion. ;)
No confusion, only people that can't read. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning. HAHAHAAHAH

OP - email LM. Those folks are v. nice/respond quick. They can tell you what everyone here has - it's not group 4 and the labels are different depending on where it is sold.

BTW: Motul tried to label their oils as "Fullysyntehtic" (Group IV) here in germany, what clearly was wrong advertising according to german law.

A competitor sued Motul and they lost the case on court here in germany. Motul was convicted to re-label all their oils in Germany.... its now called "Synthese-Technologie" here. Annother marketing Buzz word. In contrast to LM, Motul dont have a single one "Fullsyntethic" Group IV oil in their product range.

But here on BITOG, LM allways get critisized for wrong advertising, while Motul is praised for their "Fullsyntethic" oils.

BITOG be like:

5iycdx.jpg

No confusion, only people that can't read. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning. HAHAHAAHAH

OP - email LM. Those folks are v. nice/respond quick. They can tell you what everyone here has - it's not group 4 and the labels are different depending on where it is sold.
I'm on my second cup. ;) Email LM, now you're talking! FTR, I can read, quite well in fact. I also know who to ask when I have any doubt. It saves a lot of time and useless debate imo.

Most people know their oils top out at like
LM developed a cult in america by making deals with euro parts houses with and begging shops to use their products, it kinda became the european amsoil.

Motul is certainly trying to get into the american market as well, this is their recent attempt with the turbo corvette girl. You’ll probably see more influencers promoting their oil.

Attachments

• D2D65816-AD47-4A48-AA3C-2C09C7D707AF.jpeg
    D2D65816-AD47-4A48-AA3C-2C09C7D707AF.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
TIP: ROWE. German Oil with, so far, stellar UOA results in the german forum "Oil club de".
They also have a Group IV PAO 5w-40 oil that is regarded extremly well

Who ever posted here that Motul is “real” synthetic?
As for “full” synthetic, what does that mean? I don’t see people tripping over INA/MOL Millennium 5W40 oil that has tome of PAO yet only recently got MB229.3 approval. So, it is absolutely irrelevant, nor Liqui Moly based their marketing on that. They base their marketing on Made in Germany and before that trying to sell HC technology as best thing after sliced bread. Yet, they cannot sell single product to German or any other manufacturer as OE product. So if marketing is “German oil for German car,” it is telling that no German vehicle manufacturer does business with them.

Most people know their oils top out at like
LM developed a cult in america by making deals with euro parts houses with and begging shops to use their products, it kinda became the european amsoil.

Motul is certainly trying to get into the american market as well, this is their recent attempt with the turbo corvette girl. You’ll probably see more influencers promoting their oil.
The difference, in my mind at least, is that Motul has always had real racing pedigree. LM has always struck me as more grassroots.

they have a couple

$45/5L here in the states. or a whopping 78 euros if you live in the eurozone

It's 78 € on LM's own website, but it's like 45 € at independent vendors for 5 l.
True btw, it's one of the very few fully synthetic (PAO based) LM offerings. Pretty outdated approvals though.

The german LM Homepage show 17 oils sold and labeld here as "Vollsynthetisch" - Group IV. Here are screenshots:

That selection sadly doesn't only show group IV products. In fact very most are group III based.

The difference, in my mind at least, is that Motul has always had real racing pedigree. LM has always struck me as more grassroots.

ed7d6f432840aa567611bbd98bbeb184.jpg

Porsche-935-J-133077.jpg

387827.jpg

1985-Manfred-Winkelhock-Hockenheim-Porsche-962C-110-1440x997.jpg

It's 78 € on LM's own website, but it's like 45 € at independent vendors for 5 l.
True btw, it's one of the very few fully synthetic (PAO based) LM offerings. Pretty outdated approvals though.

That selection sadly doesn't only show group IV products. In fact very most are group III based.

ed7d6f432840aa567611bbd98bbeb184.jpg

Porsche-935-J-133077.jpg

387827.jpg

1985-Manfred-Winkelhock-Hockenheim-Porsche-962C-110-1440x997.jpg
Yeah, I mean I hear you.

Just sharing my opinion/impression. Personally when I think racing Mobil 1, Castrol, and Motul jump straight to the front of my mind.

LM ist the Nr. 1 brand here in germany for 10 Years in a row. A lot of my Co-workers and frinds use it. And, by the the way, nobody complains oil consumption with LM. In contrast, Castrol is the least beloved oil brand here in germany among gearheads.

Go figure.

LM ist the Nr. 1 brand here in germany for 10 Years in a row. A lot of my Co-workers and frinds use it. And, by the the way, nobody complains oil consumption with LM. In contrast, Castrol is the least beloved oil brand here in germany among gearheads.

Go figure.
We used a lot of Royal Purple in Germany because it was cheap at the PX 🤣

Buddy that built my G60 had a shelf full of Ravenol. The bottles were rectangular back then.

We used a lot of Royal Purple in Germany because it was cheap at the PX 🤣

Buddy that built my G60 had a shelf full of Ravenol. The bottles were rectangular back then.
Royal Purple is unavailable here. :) And unknown beside a few gearheads that hang around around at US forums like me.

Ravenol has come a long way. Today, they are in the Formula 1.
Looks like this is the actually Factory of Ravenol: https://www.dol-oil.de/de/
One guy in the german Oil Club forum has figured out all the sub companys of Ravenol, but take this information with a grain of salt.

Back