Liqui-Moly Class III??

I have seen it said on BITOG that Liqui-Moly synthetic oils are Class III. This is the oil I plan to use for my next OCI.
It is made in Germany and labeled "fully synthetic." I was under the impression that oils labeled as "fully synthetic" in Germany had to be Class IV or Class V oils. Has this changed?

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 77
I have seen it said on BITOG that Liqui-Moly synthetic oils are Class III. This is the oil I plan to use for my next OCI.
It is made in Germany and labeled "fully synthetic." I was under the impression that oils labeled as "fully synthetic" in Germany had to be Class IV or Class V oils. Has this changed?
If they are sold in Germany they have to be 75% GrVI or V. But, oil you want to buy is sold here.

The oil I bought was made in Germany. Show me proof that it's not the same as that sold in Germany. Sounds like BS to me.
Then why would it be sold with English on the label and marketed in quarts? It may have been made in Germany but not sold there. Germany makes a lot of synthetic technology Group III base stock oils.

If it was a majority Group (not "class") IV or V oil sold in Germany then it would have a German label and say "vollsynthetisch" on the label. It would also be sold in liters.

Then why would it be sold with English on the label and marketed in quarts? It may have been made in Germany but not sold there. Germany makes a lot of synthetic technology Group III base stock oils.

If it was a majority Group (not "class") IV or V oil sold in Germany then it would have a German label and say "vollsynthetisch" on the label. It would also be sold in liters.
If you look closely, you'll see the package is 5 liters (5.28 qt). And it says fully synthetic on the label.

If you look closely, you'll see the package is 5 liters (5.28 qt). And it says fully synthetic on the label.
The oil in that container is being sold in quarts, not liters. It is a package destined for a market other than Germany and likely the US.

You're still conflating where the oil is being manufactured and where it is being sold. Many Group III base stock oils are manufactured in Germany and are sold as "full synthetic" everywhere else in the world.

The oil in that container is being sold in quarts, not liters. It is a package destined for a market other than Germany and likely the US.

You're still conflating where the oil is being manufactured and where it is being sold. Many Group III base stock oils are manufactured in Germany and are sold as "full synthetic" everywhere else in the world.
Look closely at that picture. It say 5.28 U.S. Qt (5 L). It is a 5 L container.

That is US Market packaging.

"High-tech low-friction motor oil based on synthetic technology. "

People on here say Castrol 0-40 made in Belgium is mostly group 3 PAO. It’s sold in the US. So what gives? You can’t have it both ways.

I don’t want to hear anything from kschachn.

I presume "Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic" are Group III oils while "1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated" are Group IV or Group V oils.

If that is the case, then the Top Tec 4210 0W30 marketed in Germany is a mixture of 20-40% Group III and 20-40% Group IV or V. This is off the German version of the LiquiMoly web site.

Last edited:
Back