Legal Question: Do "Rights cards" actually "work"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Those cards are for idiots. As I police officer, I was handed similar cards on occasion. I would say on average I ticketed about 10% of the cars I stopped, but everyone that hands me a card like that gets SEVERAL citations and a full complimentary vehicle inspection to include checking the tint with a tint meter, the tire tread left on the tires, and all the running and brake lights. Also a call to the insurance company to verify that the coverage is still in effect, because 90% of the folks that hand out these cards honestly dont have a valid insurance policy either.

Well, there you go.

Now the last time I was pulled over was in downtown San Diego, for no brake lights. When the officer approached, I had my hands on the wheel. I was actually shocked when he told me I had no brake lights, and told him so. I also told him about the electrical work I had already done on the vehicle to make sure all of the exterior lights worked (which was true). He was very nice about everything, took my word that I would fix it ASAP, and said have a nice day. I thanked him sincerely.

On the other hand, I was at the beach a few years ago, burning wood (legally) in a fire ring provided for that purpose, when a bubba-type officer showed up. Without so much as a how-do-you-do, he told me that I was burning pressure treated wood, and I would have to stop. I told him that I didn't have any pressure treated wood, an obviously true statement. He pointed to an ordinary 2x6 and said, "You better have that thing in the back of your truck when you leave, or I'll cite you. I'll be waiting." I said OK, since I felt like I might have my head knocked off at any moment. I'm probably not conveying how much of a jerk he was being, but since he was an armed jerk, I backed down quickly.

My son once refused a search of his car, so they got the dog. The dog "alerted", and the subsequent search with probable cause turned up a half-eaten, somewhat dessicated cheeseburger.

So, while usually if you're obeying the law, and keeping your head down, you'll be alright, there's always a chance that you'll run into some clotpole who's either power happy or having a bad day.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

On the other hand, I was at the beach a few years ago, burning wood (legally) in a fire ring provided for that purpose, when a bubba-type officer showed up. Without so much as a how-do-you-do, he told me that I was burning pressure treated wood, and I would have to stop. I told him that I didn't have any pressure treated wood, an obviously true statement. He pointed to an ordinary 2x6 and said, "You better have that thing in the back of your truck when you leave, or I'll cite you. I'll be waiting." I said OK, since I felt like I might have my head knocked off at any moment. I'm probably not conveying how much of a jerk he was being, but since he was an armed jerk, I backed down quickly.
Every organization has bad seeds, I'm sorry that you had a bad encounter.

I personally make a point of never arguing with Johnny Law. If I need to make a case for myself, I'd have to do it before the magistrate. It is what it is, arguing just turns a "4" up to "11" so to speak.

My dad practiced in the state of Ohio as an attorney and is now retired. Yes to being polite with the officer.

LEO's like to play god when they pull people over.

You may get off with a warning if your nice and respectable to the officer if you admit you was speeding or you might not.

Never admit any contraband such as heroin, marijuana, crack... is yours. Most misdemeanor possession charges in Ohio are dismissed if the person charged denies the crack, heroin, stem, kit is there's and pleas not guilty. My dad knows a few judges and judges think cops need to look the other way when they catch someone with some weed. In fact, Ohio quietly made possession of less than 100 grams of weed a MM charge and a few cities decriminalized small amounts all together.

PM me if you wanna see people charged with drug possession that was dismissed.

Every city cop has let me go without a ticket cause:
- I was respectful
- Had a clean driving record
- Didn't play dumb and deny the violation
- Didn't call the cop a [censored] trying to meet their weekly ticket quota

The only tickets I did get were from highway patrol cause I was driving 25 miles over the speed limit and they never cut anyone slack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont bother with props. Just be polite, don't incriminate yourself and ask frequently if you're free to go.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

The only thing that card doesn't warn them against is their psychological trickery in the phrasing of their words.

This x2. An officer will "appear" to ask you to do something innocuous, but then rephrase his request to have been a lawful order that you then chose not to obey, putting you in the category of "interfering with an official act" or whatever they call it in your state.

The psychology will be to get you to incriminate yourself. If you're guilty of anything over speeding, just stay quiet.

Cops are salesmen. They appear to be selling your freedom back to you but are actually hoping to take it.

If they are going to whack you, they will whack you with that card, too. Look at the Philando Castile case, he did everything by the book and they whacked him in front of his 4 year old daughter.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Wait the cards are to be used by handing them to the officer?

I did not know that. I thought it was just a card that you should read to know your rights and apply when needed. I don't think I would want to actually hand it to an officer lol.

the first bullet point advises for the civilian to stay silent.

Considering Miranda warnings (and similar things in other countries) have been codified for years, I'm not sure what the point is. If a police officer has no clue what a citizen's rights are, or is intent on ignoring them, I'm not exactly sure what a piece of paper that isn't produced by his own department or department of justice is going to accomplish.

its less about rights but that a cop can always find something, and its the application of the law that's unfair. if a cop let off 90% of the people they stop, why did the 10% get singled out to get dinged? It shouldnt be subjective but it is.

So the card is a surrender for someone who knows that there is secret handshake or password that gets them a pass, and law is applied unfairly. They aldo know they may get 2x the penalty for doing something wrong. so ultimately try the card to at least save them from getting 2x tricked.

Last edited:
Show that card and the cop will teach you a lesson about showing that card. Know your rights, don't let the cops know you know them. Be polite and firm, and remember they're just like the F&I manager at the car dealer.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Is it true that when a police officer asks you "Do you understand?", in reality it means "do you stand under?" (their authority)?

They want you to respect the law and their authority while they violate the law and your rights.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
its less about rights but that a cop can always find something, and its the application of the law that's unfair. if a cop let off 90% of the people they stop, why did the 10% get singled out to get dinged? It shouldnt be subjective but it is.

An acquaintance just got 6 tickets thrown at him from a simple speeding violation. Got tickets for window tint(which he knows is legal), license plate covers, etc... Anyways, he played it cool and will fight all but the speeding ticket in court where officer powertrip probably won't show up.

I was a police officer, now happily collecting my pension. For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

-If you handed me this card during a traffic stop, no way am I going stand by your car and read it. I'd politely hand it back to you and again ask for your license and insurance card. Yes, you have to give them to me. You don't have the right to drive on the road; its a privilege. The state can revoke your license with a hearing.

Some things to remember on a car stop:

- You know you've committed no crime. The police officer has no idea whether you've just robbed a store, committed a murder, etc. Just keep your hands on the steering wheel, and if it's dark, turn on your dome light.

-Tinted windows are unsafe for an officer walking up to your car. If they can't see in, they can't protect themselves from a threat. Not hard to figure out.

-Some of you may not like it, but the officers job is to sign out at the end of tour. If he or she does or says things to control a situation that you are offended by, by all means, make a complaint later or get over it. Yes, there are a few guys that have problems; guys that just ain't right. Most however, are just trying to make a living and provide for their families.

If I was a cop and someone I pulled over handed me that card I'd probably start laughing out loud uncontrollably haha!

"Hey everyone, please unquestionably accept all responsibility and consequences for MY OWN PARANOIA"
Seems legit. How does anyone know if anyone they see in life hasn't just robbed a store or committed a murder? Can we start pushing random people around and subjecting them to 'investigation' just because of the ideas we conjure up in our own heads? How safe is too safe; when everyone is detained, locked up in a cage or facing scrutiny, fines and legal battles? Is that the world we hope for?

There are always two sides of these interactions but only one side apparently deserves- no matter how unreasonable- protection; protection that comes at the expense of the accused.

I used to go riding with my brother's friend that was a cop about 25 years ago, I had to sign papers releasing the PD from any liability if I got hurt or killed.

Was down in the Homestead / Naranja / Goulds / FL City area with lots of poverty, crime and drugs. Not an easy job to do and no way I'd be able to last a month as a cop.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
"Hey everyone, please unquestionably accept all responsibility and consequences for MY OWN PARANOIA"

Officer safety isn't about paranoia. And no one said anything about investigating someone pulled over for speeding for an armed robbery instead.

I'm not here to fight internet strangers on a board that's mainly about motor oil but really, some of you guys don't have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back