Leaf free gutters...

Does anyone have experience with these in a northland heavy winter? You know, 8-12 inches of snow, then partial thaw, then freeze, than rain, then repeat..... some ice damming despite excellent attic insulaltion and venting.

Originally Posted by va2001ss
Debris still gets into the LeafGuard system, it just doesn't clog it. I just replaced my roof 6 weeks ago and prior to that I was getting the "stones" from the old roof in the LeafGuard gutters. The difference is the debris that does find its way in, doesn't clog the oversized gutter bottom and downspouts. The system has been maintenance free for the 4 years I've had it.

I went with Gutter Topper several years ago and have had the same experience with debris- what does get in doesn't clog anything up- I have 6 inch gutters with 3X4 inch downspouts.

After a few years, tried gutter guards (don't remember the brand) to keep out pine needles. They got caught in the guard holes. Finally removed gutters. Single story house.

Ok BITOG, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the LeafGuard gutter system. The quotes were all actually pretty similar in nature, and they appear to have the best product, and were certainly the most knowledgeable about my questions. I'll let you know how it goes.

Does anyone have experience with LeafFilter? It seems like a good design. Best features are you could clean under the cover if debris collects, and it looks like you don't have to replace your old gutters.

How does water get through the cover? What's it made of?

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Does anyone have experience with LeafFilter? It seems like a good design. Best features are you could clean under the cover if debris collects, and it looks like you don't have to replace your old gutters.

How does water get through the cover? What's it made of?

I got a quote from both...LeafFilter was withing $100 of LeafGuard, and LeafGuard will replace all my gutters and downspouts to an upgraded size. Seemed like a no-brainer, as my gutters are already 20+ years old. They are not in the best shape, and the LeafFilter guy said they were fine...which they are not.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Thanks. Good to know.

LeafFilter also had a very "used car sales" type approach. They offered a 12 month quote, and a "take it now" quote that was ~$1K cheaper. I don't play games like that, so even if it had been more competitive, I would not have taken the deal.

Back