Roof Replacement

Whoooooo.

We are going to need the roof replaced in the next 12 months. Shingles are looking pretty worn. Currently there's a 20 or 25 year architectural shingle on there, 1 layer, no leaks. House is about 2500 sf, 1 part is 12/12, most of it is 9/12 with two of the famous mid-90's dormers in the front. Lotta plain-jane hammer-time real estate to make time/money on, but there's the dormers and two shingled valleys.

I don't know how many squares, maybe 40.

I've gotten three quotes in 48 hours, waiting on two more. All 3 so far are $19,000, $19,500, $20, 633.

$20,633 - 30 year Owens Corning Arch shingle
$19,500 - 50 year GAF Arch shingle
$19,000 - 50 year Owens Corning Arch Shingle with all new gutters and downspouts. I suspect this is going to be my lowest number and who I will probably choose (not solely because of price).

I'm a little shocked at the pricing, I was hoping for $13-15k.

Whoooooo.

We are going to need the roof replaced in the next 12 months. Shingles are looking pretty worn. Currently there's a 20 or 25 year architectural shingle on there, 1 layer, no leaks. House is about 2500 sf, 1 part is 12/12, most of it is 9/12 with two of the famous mid-90's dormers in the front. Lotta plain-jane hammer-time real estate to make time/money on, but there's the dormers and two shingled valleys.

I've gotten three quotes in 48 hours, waiting on two more. All 3 so far are $19,000, $19,500, $20, 633.

$19,000 - 50 year Owens Corning Arch Shingle with all new gutters and downspouts. I suspect this is going to be my lowest number and who I will probably choose (not solely because of price).

I paid 10000.00 for a 1200 sq foot house with a 6/12 roof pitch..Just like everything else prices had gone up like crazy....My roof is a basic simple roof and is easy to walk on....so your quotes are not far off for your roof type and size...

Order an eagle view 3 d report and it will give you the squares.

Is any of it 2 story? 12 and 9 makes the while thing steep.

South of metro Atlanta is a big area but if you're in the southern arc check with DuckBack and Eagle Watch.

I would try to find out who does the highest quality installation. Get the best quality parts and the best quality installers the roof barring tragedy, will last a long time.

Consider solar too, if your power prices are high or you’re considering an EV soon.
Great point. I'm not a roofing expert but I see people in my neighborhood putting solar panels on top of 20 year old roofs. Doesn't seem prudent to me.

Wow, those prices seem high to me for a 2,500 sf house. I paid $23,000 two years ago - and that included a little bit of trim work/carpentry - and my house is 6,000 sf.

Then again it was a horrible experience. The guys showed up unannounced on a Saturday morning (my wife’s birthday), and two seconds later people were on the roof, shingles flying, nails banging, tarps thrown over the windows. No one speaker English. They were there till 7:00 at night. Roof was stripped and paper lashed down. Asked them when they were coming back, couldn’t get an answer. They showed up two days later. Did 90% percent of it, then I didn’t see them for three weeks. Luckily I hadn’t paid them a single dime at that point. Around a week later the “contractor” shows up, drops some supplies/wood off in the driveway...figured, arraign the it’s going to be finished. Didn’t see him for another week. Then he shows up, asks me why I hadn’t payed him anything yet. I say, I haven’t seen you in over a MONTH! The carpenter shows up, they argue in the front yard. He tells me they aren’t going to do something we agreed upon, so we argue in the front yard. Good thing is, I hadn’t payed him yet, so I won that argument. Finally finished a week later. Never heard from the guy again. Paid the company, done.

All my estimates were around $22,000-$24,000 thousand. I hate houses.

I would try to find out who does the highest quality installation. Get the best quality parts and the best quality installers the roof barring tragedy, will last a long time.
I agree, and most importantly, got someone that will come back and fix a mistake (and has good customer service). They all use people that can’t speak English, and that’s fine, but you’ll need a contractor there that you can also talk to. My roofing company did not have that, it was extremely frustrating to have to ask questions and not be able to get answers, like...when are you guys coming back? I asked for ice and water shield on that spot, is someone going to put it there? When do you think you’ll finish? I need to go out, do you need me here?

And have no one be able to answer anything.

Good luck HD. I suspect whatever you are promised, more likely than not you will have an underwhelming experience. Roofs are a "tin man" industry.

Shingles can add a significant enhancement to the cosmetic appeal to a home. I think the eye appeal of the shingle is a criteria to consider, especially if you may want to sell the home in the next decade.

Last edited:
Roofing is really not difficult, I've done some basic shingle installs in the past. When you add up the materials cost, and the labor hours, it becomes quite clear, they are either paying the workers $600 per hour, or they are making insane profits.

I feel your pain… on the bubble myself (18 yo house goes on the market next month. Imminent inspection is daunting)

I guess you can pray for a hail storm and get ins. To pay at least half

(Thread drift. Personally. I think these inspections (done by companies whose job it is, is to sell you a new roof are a crock)

Great point. I'm not a roofing expert but I see people in my neighborhood putting solar panels on top of 20 year old roofs. Doesn't seem prudent to me.
and wait till you need a new roof again...the added labor for the solar panel removal and reinstall...

I am considering solar. It's a shame, we have 10 acres, but the house is situated to where we don't have a good space to put a ground-mounted solar array up unless we cleared a good bit of forested area, which would also require a good bit of feeder wire. Our only option right now is to put a ground-mounted solar array in THE FRONT YARD, which even I won't tolerate.

Other than that, it's roof-mounted. I'm not sure I'm willing and ready to be the guinea pig for the solar shingles, so I would go with panels mounted above the roof. There's enough good, modern mounting systems out there that I'm not concerned about leaks/etc.

As far as power rates, everybody lives in an area where your rate is going to increase a minimum of 2x over the next 4 years. Some areas will be higher. Investing in solar or other means of power production on your own right now is a smart move IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Whoooooo.

That's all you were quoted! Wow my parents were quoted $25 grand to $40k for a new roof. I noticed that the 30 year is most expensive is it a better material? From my experience nobody where I live will warranty a roof for 50 years. I'd look at the synthetic shingles that look like wood but are significantly more durable.

Whoooooo.

This is a great opportunity to make sure they add kick out flashing where required. With the amount of rain we receive in the SE I can't wrap my head around the fact that roofers rarely install them. My own neighborhood is full of areas which don't have it and it causes so many problems. Especially on brick.

kickout-flashing.jpg

Get a standing seam metal roof. It will last a lifetime, and if you ever go solar, it will outlast the solar installation.

While not so important in Atlanta, snow just slides off of it. And rain pours off too.

Get a standing seam metal roof. It will last a lifetime, and if you ever go solar, it will outlast the solar installation.

While not so important in Atlanta, snow just slides off of it. And rain pours off too.
Metal roofs are nice, especially standing seam, but if you live in an area with a lot of snow fall, the sliding, falling snow and ice is incredibly destructive. It will bend over and/or tear off anything in it's way on the roof and create piles that require heavy equipment to move on the ground.

I had an Amish metal roof installed over my old shingle roof a few years ago. The roof itself is great. I had to have additional snow bars installed later on due to the snow issues.

Not sure I can get the kick-out flashing added. My home is stucco.

30 and 50 year shingle warranties are from the manufacturer. The company I work for does work for all three shingle makers - GAF, Certainteed and Owens-Corning. I am going to go with OC shingles, everybody considers their product as being the best right now (and have for the last several years). 30 and 50 year shingles have been around for several years. I'm pretty sure it's the same shingle, what you are paying for is a little insurance money to the manufacturer; they are counting on you not being in that house for 30+ years.

I'm not doing a metal roof. They fade and look like crap after 6-10 years. BTDT.

I'm 52 years old. We are on 10 acres in a very, very sought-after area. This area is going to be the next Roswell/Alpharetta of the Atlanta suburbs, just on the south side. I have no doubt that within the next 15 years, we will see extremely tempting offers from developers wanting our property. If not, we should be able to sell quickly and walk away with a nice retirement fund selling to an individual who is looking for some "space" in a growing area. Either way, I don't see us making a claim on a 30 or 50 year shingle, I am wanting a job and product that holds up for the rest of our stay here and we have zero dollars in roofing in the next 15+ years.

The current roof has been on for 18-19 years, it's probably a 20 or 25 year Architectural shingle. It's not completely done, but it's done it's job. The only leak we've had is where I removed the gas flue piping when I moved a furnace from an upper attic to a lower attic. Somehow water was getting into the pipe/boot area, I had a handy man come out and fix that.

Back