Laundry detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olds394
I switched to the little packs. Probably the best decision I've ever made. The savings are amazing, plus it's easier.

I still loved the Sunlight Tabs the best, then they were discontinued, and now packs are all the rage again. I guess they were ahead of their time.

Merk: I don't mind some of the fragrances in detergents, but yes, most are over the top. I buy a lot of "free" types, too, to avoid that. The tabs that I mentioned above had just the right amount of fragrance. They smelled fresh, but you didn't gag from sensory overload walking into the house while the washer was running. The original Tide with Bleach was worst for that; it's much better now.

Wisk if I can't find any Tide coupons. That Persil must be new because I did not see any the last time I bought detergent in Walmart. I will give the Persil a try just as long as I can get a coupon. Otherwise, I will just use Wisk or Tide.

I use the cheapest liquid that can be found at Walmart, Ollie's, or Aldi. And I typically use much less than the recommended dose. Water alone is the universal solvent, and does a fine job on its own in a pinch. I don't see any need to overspend on detergent, and my clothes are very clean.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Water alone is the universal solvent, and does a fine job on its own in a pinch.

I actually tried that once, didn't workout well.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I use the cheapest liquid that can be found at Walmart, Ollie's, or Aldi. And I typically use much less than the recommended dose. Water alone is the universal solvent, and does a fine job on its own in a pinch. I don't see any need to overspend on detergent, and my clothes are very clean.

Yep. Xtra brand detergent is very low cost and cleans very good. CVS sometimes has it on sale + plus store coupon. I've never bought brand name liquid detergents in 35 years.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is this in a top loader washer? Front loaders like HE detergent which is low-sud.

IMO there should be enough suds to float the dirt off the cloth but too many can make the machine (technique?) choke on the foam.

Yes it is a top loader.

Check out a box of Tide some time. It has a ton of patents and is a terrific detergent. Some folks simply use an extra rinse to remove more scents and residues that they may be sensitive to.

Suds are not needed for any detergent mixture to be effective...

My pure guess is your water may have some hardness/minerals to it. It causes soaps to not dissolve properly or work effectively.

Also do you put soap in first into washer and let it fill/dissolve or on top. doing first and waiting can help dissolve it better.

I make my own. I usually have about $8 and 30-45 minutes into a 5 gallon batch that I pour into a bucket and store next to the washer.

It's really easy to make. It works INCREDIBLY well. And it's SUPER CHEAP. I love being clean, having things done correctly. This soap that I make performs as well as any.

I've banned powders due to them not always dissolving even in warm water. Currently finishing a Sam's Club jug of All Free & Clear packs, and have a bottle of Persil waiting in the wings to try out.

When I had an old fashioned top loader my favorite detergent was powdered Arm & Hammer, the one that is sans perfume and dyes. http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-care/...d-dye-free.aspx

About 18 months ago I got a top-of-the-line Maytag front loader that has a detergent reservoir. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It dispenses the detergent according to the "soil load" that you select on the panel when starting the machine. I've been using Tide HE liquid, and my wife is astonished how little detergent we go through with this new machine. 90% of the loads that we wash we select "low soil" on the panel, and apparently the machine dispenses only a small amount of detergent. Our clothes have never been cleaner. I've come to the conclusion that most people use way too much detergent in their washing machines. Unless you're washing stuff that is really dirty or greasy, you can probably get away with using half the amount that is recommended on the detergent bottle's label.

Good point. I use just a small amount of detergent because in an office environment, my clothes don't get all that dirty. The only time I go anywhere near the recommended dosage is if I'm washing clothes that I wore while doing yard work and even then I don't use the recommended amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back