Laundry detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Kirkland's liquid detergent for the past year. Prior to that I was using the powder form. I found the powder detergent did not dissolve completely and left granules in between folds of clothing.
I've tried Gain and Tide powder detergent before and felt that they both dissolved.
I've recently tried adding some Dawn dishwashing detergent and found the load to be sudsier than usual. Lots more surfactant I guess. For some reason I feel that the sudsier the mix is, the better it cleans. Opinions?

My current fave is Woolite Everyday liquid. Had a very light smell and leaves clothes really soft. I always use the absolute bare minimum amount of soap.

Is this in a top loader washer? Front loaders like HE detergent which is low-sud.

IMO there should be enough suds to float the dirt off the cloth but too many can make the machine (technique?) choke on the foam.

Persil. Europe's favorite. New to America. Owned by Henkel, who owns Dial Soap. Their attempt to dethrone Tide. Works great, wife loves it more than her Tide.

Last edited:
We use the Tide Pods free and clear. Wife likes them and that's what counts.

HE washer, cold water and powder don't work together well.

I've used the Costco pods, they work well. Lately I've been buying liquid, I do small loads and sometimes I feel like an entire pod is too much detergent.

Switch to liquid. Only time i think powder is good is in dishwasher. Liquid mixes better. I buy Purex on sale (big costco jug). Gf is allergic to tide and any others..purex surprisingly doesnt cause allergic skin issues. I find it works fine, if it was just me I'd use tide sport with febreeze.

Not a fan of the pods. Have caught a few not dissolving in warm or cold water. Not to mention you can't control dose like you can with a power or liquid. Currently we have Kirkland in the cabinet. Seems to clean well.

Also have Persil from Walmart - the granules and the liquid. Both seem to work well.

Although I'm more inclined to use the powder - just seems to work better and less messy. We do hardly use cold water though - always warm or hot.

We use HE liquid, usually just whatever's on sale, and usually the free and clear type. We've found that of all places, Walgreens has great sales on laundry detergent from time to time.

I use the All free and clear pods or occassionally the equivalent free&clear Tide version. Seems to work great in our washer and keeps the wife from making a mess with the powder or liquid.

Me too
Purex 54 load bag- $8.50- great stuff

Originally Posted By: Olds394
I switched to the little packs. Probably the best decision I've ever made. The savings are amazing, plus it's easier.

I'm a discount shopper so typically I buy what's on sale, has a coupon, or best of all, what has both.

Right now I've got the big Kirkland jug and it seems to work just fine.

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
Opinions?

Yes, I think the use of any laundry detergent with perfume/fragrance added should be made illegal.

1st offense - $100 fine.
2nd offense - $500 fine.
3rd offense - death penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back