Late 40's and I wanna ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Motorcycling is, of course, dangerous for many reasons. It all depends on what you and your family think and if the risks are worth it to you. A simple rear ender isn't a big deal...unless you are on a bike. Being in Florida, I'd be a bit concerned about the driving skills of retired folks. But if you avoid those areas...and most high traffic places...your would be more safe.
Since you live in such a warm climate year round....ever thought of a compromise and get a watercraft? They are much safer in general and offer as many thrills as bike riding does.

I know a woman from work that her husband was killed when an elderly driver made a left turn in front of him and they guy crashed into side of car. He was killed and only 52 years old.

The guy was just out for a Sunday morning ride and was in the middle lane minding his own business..

And?

I can list off numerous people I know or have known, who have been seriously injured or killed while riding a Motorcycle. I've even witnessed a few fatalities of people I knew. I know a gentleman who right now is in an ICU, likely paralyzed from the neck down, because drivers made some poor choices. This happened the day before Thanksgiving. There's a Go Fund Me page, I would link it, if I knew the family was okay with doing so.

My best friend died peacefully in his sleep, at the young age of 35. Leaving behind his then 5 year old Son.

The reality is we are all going to die. The only question is how do we want to live?

My greatest fear is living a life where I'm afraid to do anything, for fear it could kill me. To me, that's not much of a life.

Motorcycling is, of course, dangerous for many reasons. It all depends on what you and your family think and if the risks are worth it to you. A simple rear ender isn't a big deal...unless you are on a bike. Being in Florida, I'd be a bit concerned about the driving skills of retired folks. But if you avoid those areas...and most high traffic places...your would be more safe.
Since you live in such a warm climate year round....ever thought of a compromise and get a watercraft? They are much safer in general and offer as many thrills as bike riding does.

I know a woman from work that her husband was killed when an elderly driver made a left turn in front of him and they guy crashed into side of car. He was killed and only 52 years old.

The guy was just out for a Sunday morning ride and was in the middle lane minding his own business..

Mr. Nice,
Yep...it's dangerous every time we take a drive...and especially so for motorcycling. You can be as safe as possible yet if some idiot simply rear ends you, you could be seriously injured or die. My wife was just rear ended last week while sitting at a traffic light. Thank God she wasn't on a bike or she would be dead now.
I occasionally ride my little Vespa scooter around town or on country farm roads. I know that I am taking more of a chance getting hurt than if I was to drive. I take that risk because I truly enjoy riding every once in a while. But....I do admit that the fools out there that don't drive safely could very well kill me someday.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

And?

I can list off numerous people I know or have known, who have been seriously injured or killed while riding a Motorcycle. I've even witnessed a few fatalities of people I knew. I know a gentleman who right now is in an ICU, likely paralyzed from the neck down, because drivers made some poor choices. This happened the day before Thanksgiving. There's a Go Fund Me page, I would link it, if I knew the family was okay with doing so.

My best friend died peacefully in his sleep, at the young age of 35. Leaving behind his then 5 year old Son.

The reality is we are all going to die. The only question is how do we want to live?

My greatest fear is living a life where I'm afraid to do anything, for fear it could kill me. To me, that's not much of a life.

Understandable and fair post. But....I don't think that finding safer alternatives to motorcycling is being afraid to "do anything". I like riding, but now I have chosen to only ride a scooter and ride on safer streets. I've come to realize that riding to work in traffic (on a scooter or a full size bike) is WAY too risky. Besides that, it's not even fun so why do it? That's why I suggested to the OP that he consider a watercraft (jetski) as a bit safer alternative. He lives in Florida after all. Riding those things is even more fun that motorcycling in my opinion.

I just ride from time to time in nice weather. Very Early Sunday mornings only. I never ride in everyday traffic or at night.

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Looking for advice. I am in late 40s in great shape. Always interested in a street bike but never bought one. Rode smallish dirt bikes as a kid. Looking at a midsized adventure type bike. Specifically a suzuki vstrom 650. Seriously doubt any epic trips on it just generally riding back roads etc. But ultimately worried about getting hurt or worse. Got a family too so that plays into it.
I love M/C and for several years wanting another bike I was bent on a Suzuki GSX 100 because I like big power ever since I bought a brand new Kawasaki 500 Mach III H have riding been riding a friends Suzuki 600 crotch rocket for a while ,,I had a friend that owned the Suzuki dealership. But then and a big but I saw an ad for a Harley Roadster and being 64 years old that was my bike. I love its looks and what is a Sportster other than an adult mini bike ? I went to the Harley dealer and yes it was beautiful so I asked If I could sit on it,it was a yes . As I went to lift the bike off the kick stand my left knee which I tore something in years ago had a stabbing pain like it was being pierced with a knife and I prayed as to not drop the bike in a man's territory [the Harley dealer] No the bike wasn't dropped and after a while of faking the look of getting the feel of the bike I made sure the kick stand was down set the bike back on the kick stand and went home crying inside. I didn't renew my M/C license. M/C are fun yet dangerous. Can you afford being laid up for quite a while? Also wear a quality helmet and protective clothing.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I just ride from time to time in nice weather. Very Early Sunday mornings only. I never ride in everyday traffic or at night.

This is similar to what I do. I think it's a good compromise for safety reasons.

02SE,

You always try to minimize risks, especially some [censored] hole drivers on their cellphones.

The cars are out to get you !

02SE,

You always try to minimize risks, especially some [censored] hole drivers on their cellphones.

Of course.

I was just wondering why you felt it necessary to tell us about an unfortunate fatality, that happened while riding?

People die every day, for all sorts of reasons.

People that ride know the risks. If you don't feel that riding is worth the risk to you, then by all means you shouldn't ride.

This is similar to what I do. I think it's a good compromise for safety reasons.
Absolutely. Stay safe!

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I know a gentleman who right now is in an ICU, likely paralyzed from the neck down, because drivers made some poor choices. This happened the day before Thanksgiving. There's a Go Fund Me page, I would link it, if I knew the family was okay with doing so.

After a month in the ICU, he passed away yesterday.

Rest in peace, Jeff.

Sad to hear.
frown.gif

I ride the type of bike you are interested in, a V Strom 1000. Been riding most of my life with no accidents, but many close calls. My safety record is in part because of choosing where and where not to ride, and the times associated with these places. I try to stay out of busy areas during rush hours, I don’t ride at night unless absolutely necessary, and I minimize my riding in rural areas while deer are in rut. As others have said, take a safety course. My town offers one for free, and I re-take it every few years to keep sharp.

Always buy a one owner used bike...not a new bike.

I've enjoyed both but looking at new this time.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The advent of the cell phone has, in my opinion, added significantly to the risk of motorcycling.

Very much agreed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Cujet
The advent of the cell phone has, in my opinion, added significantly to the risk of motorcycling.

Very much agreed.

+1

The advent of tourists has increased the risk to motorcyclists here...pretty scary wondering if someone with no experience of driving on our roads will come around a corner on the wrong side of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back