Late 40's and I wanna ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Despite what most riders will admit, shifting a motorcycle SUCKS. Very few people wanna buy a car with a stick, but it's 10X easier
to shift a manual in a car than pegging the shifter up and down on a bike.

I know you mentioned this before. I just thought I'd add an opposing point of view... to me personally shifting gears on a bike is as easy, or even easier than shifting gears in a car.

this..i hate when people try to force their thoughts about manual transmissions on others. i love shifting a bike..i dont even think about it. im pretty hardcore about manuals in vehicles too tho.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
I ery strongly recommend taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) riders course or something very similar. If you don’t have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver’s license, take the test and get one. I don’t know if it’s possible to live a full and rewarding life without risk so I say make sure your training and skills are up to date and start riding.

This X 1000.

For the beginner's class helmet/bike is provided. Great way to get exposure in a controlled environment. When I took the course, half the time on the range I was thinking "this is great" and the other half was "I don't see myself doing this in Chicago traffic." A coworker with 20 years of riding experience took the class with a friend of hers who didn't want to go alone, and she said that despite her experience, even she learned some things.

Worst case, you decide it's really not for you and you're out the 20 hours or so of class time. Best case, you go and hit the streets better prepared. And remember, there are two types of riders; those that have dropped the bike, and those that will drop the bike.
wink.gif

I've had the same itch for years! Unfortunately I have a family ranch in the mountains and there have been so many motorcycle accidents including 2 fatalities over the last 20 years. This is on about a 5 mile stretch of road. The last fatality was a retired motorcycle cop on vacation. He wiped out his Harley on some road sand and ended up between the bike and a tree, very sad, he wasn't even speeding. His partner left a really nice BMW adventure bike at my ranch for a month. He was done with riding. That being said my dream, like yours, for a 650 isn't dead but it probably won't happen for me.

If I was in OP's point in life, I wouldn't take up riding yet. Was in same general point in life in late 90's when I stopped riding (actually we: wife rode an 883). I only started up again 5 yrs ago after my wife killed herself and I was looking for anything to get away from my thoughts about the suicide, and maybe... just maybe there was also a small motivation to engage in something dangerous again (used to fly too) because for a long time after it I had a "I don't give a chit what happens" attitude. In those 5 years I've dropped my bike in an off-road situation (adv bike) no damage to bike but minorly re-separated (old sports injury) a shoulder and had to sling arm for week or so, hit a deer fortunately at slow speed no injuries (full gear), and earlier this year crashed hard and 1 week hospital 1 week phys rehab, 12 weeks off work and surgical metal implants in right arm and left ankle.

I'm still riding, guess you can't fix Stupid...

Been riding 50 plus years still going. Had my share of crashes and close calls. The worst ones always involved an inattentive car or truck driver. We all will die. I'd rather go doing something I like than live to be a nursing home cash cow. I recommend get a used 250 dirt bike first and get your instincts back before going to that dream bike. Some one already said but worth repeating "assume you are invisible to other drivers" if you ride very long you will learn this is your #1 strategy for staying rubber side down.

I haven't owned a motorcycle in 20 years but have put 2,700 miles on an E-Bicycle in 8 months. I'm gonna buy a 250 dual-sport come spring, assuming I make it to 70
thumbsup2.gif

My wife says I should buy a red sports car instead.

My friend, a good driver, calm, mature, a professional guy bought a big bike. Drove it for a few years. Used to take his wife on long biking holidays. Until the day he laid it down on a curve on a mountain road and had all the following cars drive right by his and his wife's head. He could not find any explanation for why it happened. So he gave up the bike.

There are lots of scary stories. Better to buy a red sports car.

Despite what most riders will admit, shifting a motorcycle SUCKS. Very few people wanna buy a car with a stick, but it's 10X easier

I disagree with that. Fine motor skills are easier with our hands than our feet, and motorcycle clutch control is easier than car. The part that's worse on a bike is the cost of failure. For example you're making a right turn at a stop sign. Get sloppy engaging the clutch on a car and it will lurch a bit and maybe stall. Get sloppy on a bike and it may run wide or stall and tip over. Though when I was learning, all that happened when I did that was fishtailing wildly.

Most of my cars have been manual. Most of my bikes too. Though I currently have a DCT bike (as well as one of the other kind). I agree that Honda's DCT is awesome, but regular shifting is fine too.

I wouldn't steer a new rider one way or the other. But it's good to let them know the options.

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Looking for advice. I am in late 40s in great shape. Always interested in a street bike but never bought one. Rode smallish dirt bikes as a kid. Looking at a midsized adventure type bike. Specifically a suzuki vstrom 650. Seriously doubt any epic trips on it just generally riding back roads etc. But ultimately worried about getting hurt or worse. Got a family too so that plays into it.

For riding 1-up on paved roads, I recommend a Versys 650 over a Vstrom 650. More fun. Easier to service as well. For carrying a passenger, exploring dirt roads etc, the Strom is better. This comes from 57k miles on a Versys I bought new, and a couple of demo rides on Stroms. OTOH whatever suitable bike you get a good deal on should be fine. Your first street bike won't be your last.

If you want one then that's okay. Just wait a month before you make the purchase. See how you feel after a month. Feeling are funny things. They change.

Rode from age 15 to around 35. I loved it when I was a kid. By luck or good management, I never had an accident. Known a lot of other riders, all of which ended up going down. Every few years I get the itch. Then I ride somebody's bike for a few minutes and the wonder "What was so great about this?" Also, have hit three deer so far and think about what would have happened if I was on a motorcycle. I just talked to a retired guy who was riding his GoldWing. Deer ran along side and jumped into his windscreen. He got away with a broken ankle. Now he's selling his GoldWing.

Read some stats on motorcycle accidents. Good luck.

I've been riding since the age of 6, and started racing shortly thereafter. The first 10 years were almost all on dirtbikes. A foundation which I am grateful to have, as tires moving around under me on low-traction surfaces don't bother me, and something I can instinctively compensate for (most of the time).
smile.gif

You will no doubt be told that Motorcycles are dangerous. Well, they are. Get good riding gear, and all the rider training that the MSF-USA.ORG offers. Then I'd suggest looking into advanced rider training offered by various riding schools and Trackday organizations.

Even if riding on a roadracing track isn't what you want, having a better understanding of your and the bikes limits, and knowing how to control a bike at speeds you won't see on public roads, will make you a better and much more in-control rider on the road.

On the road, I always assume I am invisible. People will look right at you, and either not see you, or not care. Always ride accordingly.

Riding isn't for everyone. But for those of us who genuinely enjoy riding, no car will ever compare. I have a couple nice, and fast cars. They are fun, but for me, they're just not the same as leaning a great handling bike over, and carving through a twisty stretch of road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
My wife says I should buy a red sports car instead.

My friend, a good driver, calm, mature, a professional guy bought a big bike. Drove it for a few years. Used to take his wife on long biking holidays. Until the day he laid it down on a curve on a mountain road and had all the following cars drive right by his and his wife's head. He could not find any explanation for why it happened. So he gave up the bike.

There are lots of scary stories. Better to buy a red sports car.

At least you can have a wife that cares lots of them would encourage you to get one right after they bought a million dollar term insurance on you with triple indemnity!

I would love to ride a bike like a HONDA 450 again and would enjoy it immensely. How ever; my balance isn't as good as it once was and if the unexpected happened, I would be in for a serious fall or worse. Ed

I'm 83 and been riding 60 years; 16 years ago geared down to 650 and 400cc Burgmans; then in '11 went with Can Am Spyders. Point being, they are good handling 3 wheelers, use paddle shifter, and in '14 changed to a 3 cyl Rotax...fine motor. If you can afford one, look for used. Quite a few can be found with low milage.

Like several posters have shared, get good training and read some of the the good books available. (David Hough and Nick Ienatsch have both written good ones, Keith Code, too) Track days, in my opinion, are invaluable for learning where the comfort limits of you and your chosen bike may be. That experience will make anyone a much more competent and safe street rider. Riding is very easy to do, and much more difficult to do very well. This is the magic and reward of the activity. If you feel the desire, go for it!

Somewhat unrelated: I'm always disgusted by the phobic reaction that some people have to motorcycles. It's irrational, and a possible sign of some sort of mental illness that they should keep to themselves at least and seek help for at best. Seriously.

Just try it out. Yes there are obvious risks and as long as family if any on board try it.

I rode dirt bikes as kids. The next time I rode a motorcycle was a road trip at 27 no road experience with cousin on a BMW R50? Colorado to Washington state and then took a ferry up coast of BC and Alaska exploring inland a bit and then taking ferry to next stop up. We definitely took back ways of nothing to get me oriented but I did not think it was terribly hard but had some experience.

I just started riding again after a ~25 year hiatus.
Rode from age 12 off road and got my license when I was 15. Stopped riding shortly after getting married and selling my bike to pay for school.
For the past 5 years or so, I have really been wanting to ride again. My brother has an 883 that I would ride on occasion and made me miss it more.
Wife has been saying no since we had young kids.
For my 48th birthday this year, my wife said I could have another bike.

I agree with all the others, if you have never ridden a street bike, or just been a long time since riding, take a motorcycle safety course.
They also have some more advanced courses that help even experienced riders. My brother did one a while back and said it helped him a lot, so he gifted me one when I got my bike (still need to set it up).

Despite what most riders will admit, shifting a motorcycle SUCKS. Very few people wanna buy a car with a stick, but it's 10X easier to shift a manual in a car than pegging the shifter up and down on a bike.

Why would I admit something that is not true?
I rather enjoy the mechanical interaction while riding a bike. It is different than shifting a car.
I was debating getting a 2007-2010 manual Mustang before my wife said OK to the bike. Getting a 3rd car is hard to justify, but a bike is easier (and a lot less expensive).

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

At least you can have a wife that cares lots of them would encourage you to get one right after they bought a million dollar term insurance on you with triple indemnity!

Funny, one of the stipulations of me getting a bike was to have a good life insurance policy.
I am worth more dead than alive.

Finally, yes riding a bike on the street is dangerous. I have been down a few times on my bike, but luckily nothing serious so far. I have had several friends die in bike wrecks over the years, I worked in EMS for years and saw many nasty motorcycle wrecks, and in the ER now I see them often. I have also seen the difference between someone who gears up and those that don't. Injuries (and fatalities) can still happen with proper gear, but I have seen many more with improper (or no) gear that would probably have walked away just banged up instead of in the hospital is serious condition.
As the saying goes, dress for the slide, not the ride.

1994 Honda VT1100C: 8,000 miles, Peak 15w-40, Fram Tough Guard filter, 2.5k OCI
2002 Ford F150: 192,000 miles, Havoline High Mileage 5w-20, Ecogard filter, 5k OCI
2004 Ford F150: 160,000 miles, Castrol GTX Syn-Blend 5w-20, Bosch D+ Filter, 4k OCI
2007 Saturn Vue: 131,000 miles, Valvoline 5-30 Syn-Power, Fram Ultra Filter, 8k OCI
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe: 155,000 miles, PP 5w-20, Fram Tough Guard Filter, 10k OCI
2012 Scion xB: 41,000 miles, QSUD 0w-20, Car Quest Blue (Wix made) filter, 5k OCI

Originally Posted By: justintendo
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I know you mentioned this before. I just thought I'd add an opposing point of view... to me personally shifting gears on a bike is as easy, or even easier than shifting gears in a car.

this..i hate when people try to force their thoughts about manual transmissions on others. i love shifting a bike..i dont even think about it. im pretty hardcore about manuals in vehicles too tho.
Geeeze! Shifting a motorcycle sucks? 59 years old with bike number 7. My current bike is the best I've ever owned. 2016 Versys 650 LT. Does all I want it to do, and I enjoy all 6 gears. Another bike I really liked was a 2003 Suzuki Volusia. It's current name is a C50.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Somewhat unrelated: I'm always disgusted by the phobic reaction that some people have to motorcycles. It's irrational, and a possible sign of some sort of mental illness that they should keep to themselves at least and seek help for at best. Seriously.

Yeah, lots of people on here telling others how to live their lives. I don't get why they even look at the motorcycle section if they're anti-bike? Makes no sense. I'm not into guns, for example, so I stay the [censored] out of the gun section, and I definitely wouldn't post anything negative there!

OP, good luck, the V-Strom 650 is an awesome bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back