Late 40's and I wanna ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: WANG
Somewhat unrelated: I'm always disgusted by the phobic reaction that some people have to motorcycles. It's irrational, and a possible sign of some sort of mental illness that they should keep to themselves at least and seek help for at best. Seriously.

Yeah, lots of people on here telling others how to live their lives. I don't get why they even look at the motorcycle section if they're anti-bike? Makes no sense. I'm not into guns, for example, so I stay the [censored] out of the gun section, and I definitely wouldn't post anything negative there!

OP, good luck, the V-Strom 650 is an awesome bike.

HPB- Thank you for some reason and level headed thinking! If you don't like a certain type of inanimate object, IE; guns, motorcycles, power tools, etc, then keep your worthless opinions to yourself and don't even bother reading, let alone posting in those sections.

OP- Forget the naysayers and do what makes you happy. I started riding at 20 years old, having wives, kids and mortgages ever since. I took the basic MSF course but I am pretty much self taught other wise. I have been riding for 12 years now and at least 60,000 miles and I have never been down. I have only had one close call in that time and a quick, hard stop was all it took to avoid the collision. I do know several people who have been seriously injured or killed on motorcycles but every single one of them was speeding, not wearing any gear AND new to riding.

I highly support your like for the adventure bikes. Adventure bikes are pretty much all I have ever ridden and they are all I really like. The best part to the adventure sport market is that all of the offerings have been very refined over the years and all of them are pretty much excellent at this point. The only downside to them as I see it is the tall seat height. If your inseam is at least 32 inches, you will be just fine on any of them. The V-Strom or Versys 650 will make an excellent first bike in your situation. I started on a Kawasaki KLX 250 and while it was a great little bike, I would NOT do it again. Sure it was light weight and easy to ride but I was 100% out grown of it in 3 months, a total waste of money. A 650 or 800 adventure bike will work well for a beginner provided you are tall and strong enough to handle it and have the self control to not speed and out run your riding skillset.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about motorcycling without all the naysayers and pandemonium.

I've been riding on and off my entire adult live. I bought my first motorcycle at 20 years old. I have a Harley Dyna now and ride it on errands around town and it really saves gas (that's the excuse you tell your wife, anyways). Don't let anyone discourage you. Riding is fun and as always with a lot of things in life somewhat of a risk.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Despite what most riders will admit, shifting a motorcycle SUCKS. Very few people wanna buy a car with a stick, but it's 10X easier
to shift a manual in a car than pegging the shifter up and down on a bike.

I know you mentioned this before. I just thought I'd add an opposing point of view... to me personally shifting gears on a bike is as easy, or even easier than shifting gears in a car.

I agree; shifting is dead easy on my Triumph Speed Triple.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The vast majority of motorcycle deaths are:

-drunk
-driving at high speed
-racing
-being idiots

If you can be a mature adult driver, and lay off the booze, your chances are much higher. Still have to look out for the texting idiots though.

I go out for night rides now (10pm to 1am or so) I prefer it as the weather is cooler, there are far less people on the road, and I can stay farther away from other drivers easily by just slowing or picking up my pace.

^^^This; I'm also a proponent of All The Gear All The Time- Snell full face helmet, gloves, armored jacket/pants and boots.
And definitely take a MSF Rider Course!
I'd also recommend reading David Houghs's Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling.

Originally Posted By: hpb

Yeah, lots of people on here telling others how to live their lives. I don't get why they even look at the motorcycle section if they're anti-bike? Makes no sense. I'm not into guns, for example, so I stay the [censored] out of the gun section, and I definitely wouldn't post anything negative there!

Isn't that the truth? Something similar often happens in threads involving a specific brand of car- someone who has never even sat in a particular brand of car will offer negative opinions based on fifth-hand hearsay.

I'll be 74 soon.
Just replaced the front disk pads in the 150 yesterday.
Patiently waiting for spring ....
cool.gif

started riding again at 50....most fun I've had in a long, long time...you only live once....what the h*ll, go for it!

(take the MSF course, ride responsibly and wear ATGATT)

Motorbikes can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Not as dangerous as a car, truck, aircraft, let alone guns.
Playing sport has inherent risk, hiking has inherent risk, Riding a bicycle has inherent risk.

So wrap yourself up in cotton wool, don't go outside, don't have any fun at all, don't switch on your tv in case of electric shock. Live a long and miserable life.
Or buy a motorbike, learn how to ride it as safely as possible, and enjoy life.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
A neighbor rode right off cliff on the Blue Ridge! I really thought he understood how his bike handled and what the limits were. Apparently not.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Cujet,
What happened to your neighbor, motorcycle accidents can happen in a blink of a eye.

He was maybe 45-50 years old Brit who has lived here for decades. Purchased a Harley and did the MSF course. Rode all the time and did a number of cross country trips. One day his wife tells me that he's in the hospital. He was riding the blue ridge parkway, and like so many others, leaned his bike into the corner, failed to lean far enough, and rode off the corner. He and the bike went down a cliff, he was severely injured, spent 6 months in the hospital. Came home and never again left the house.

From what I understand, he simply failed to understand his limits and the motorcycles capabilities. Here is a video that is very much like the crash he suffered.

This is not him, but from the description, that's what he did. He failed to lean enough, hit the brakes and off he went. I truly believe that some older inexperienced riders sometimes just don't react quickly enough, or properly enough, for even simple situations.

The problem that I have is that if I, an ex racer, feel at risk, what are these inexperienced people doing?

Last edited:

The problem that I have is that if I, an ex racer, feel at risk, what are these inexperienced people doing?

In the video? The most common Motorcycling mistake: Lack of ability, and then panicing and target fixating.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

In the video? The most common Motorcycling mistake: Lack of ability, and then panicing and target fixating.

Rather than increasing their lean angle-which is almost always possible-inexperienced riders inevitably just slam on the brakes(usually the rear only(they don't want to be "thrown over the bars")- and down they go...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: 02SE

Rather than increasing their lean angle-which is almost always possible-inexperienced riders inevitably just slam on the brakes(usually the rear only(they don't want to be "thrown over the bars")- and down they go...

Oh I know. I used to see the guys that had ridden for years, but had no clue how to ride, on a regular basis at the advanced riding school I used to help teach. To their credit, at least they were there to improve their skills, and ultimately, they did.

That guy is lucky a vehicle wasn't coming around the corner. First mistake he made is he passed in a spot that was too risky.

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Looking for advice. I am in late 40s in great shape. Always interested in a street bike but never bought one. Rode smallish dirt bikes as a kid. Looking at a midsized adventure type bike. Specifically a suzuki vstrom 650. Seriously doubt any epic trips on it just generally riding back roads etc. But ultimately worried about getting hurt or worse. Got a family too so that plays into it.

Take the MSF basic course to brush up on your skills and have at it. A lot of the adventure bikes, including the V-Strom, are pretty tall and top heavy if you are short. As long as you are tall enough to deal with it, the V-Strom is a fine bike. I prefer something with a 17" front wheel for street riding.

It is a fact riding a motorcycle is dangerous, but you can do a great deal to mitigate that risk with good sense and good gear. I ride 15-20k miles most years and have had one crash that was completely my fault. I walked away relatively unscathed, but the bike was totaled. Many friends and family members came off a "I-guess-you-finally-learned-your-lesson" attitude like the naysaying pansies in this thread. I got a new bike three weeks later. I would rather die living than live dying.

Motorcycling is, of course, dangerous for many reasons. It all depends on what you and your family think and if the risks are worth it to you. A simple rear ender isn't a big deal...unless you are on a bike. Being in Florida, I'd be a bit concerned about the driving skills of retired folks. But if you avoid those areas...and most high traffic places...your would be more safe.
Since you live in such a warm climate year round....ever thought of a compromise and get a watercraft? They are much safer in general and offer as many thrills as bike riding does.

Forget Adventure bikes,too high cog. Take a MSF course and get a street bike.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Forget Adventure bikes,too high cog. Take a MSF course and get a street bike.

Most ADV bikes are very capable for normal street riding. If you're more than 6' tall an ADV bike is a better fit ergonomically in most cases.

I'm pushing 70 and still ride. Been at it since I was 13. Yeah, I been down a time or two, oil in corner on a rainy night where a dump truck lost the rear end ... Me over my head in a corner with unexpected gravel. But that ain't bad in 57 years of riding
smile.gif

If you want to, go for it. Take a defensive riding class. Learn from those who know. Apply what they teach you and you'll be fine. It's about 1/2 knowing what to watch for and the other 1/2 getting the right fit.

Ergonomics can make or break any bike ride. If you are uncomfortable, you will not be on your A Game. Not a good place to be behind the bars ...

Brand does not matter. Local dealer might... If they've been around a long time and are stable (business wise), that's an asset. Get a bike that fits, learn the do's and don'ts and enjoy
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Motorcycling is, of course, dangerous for many reasons. It all depends on what you and your family think and if the risks are worth it to you. A simple rear ender isn't a big deal...unless you are on a bike. Being in Florida, I'd be a bit concerned about the driving skills of retired folks. But if you avoid those areas...and most high traffic places...your would be more safe.
Since you live in such a warm climate year round....ever thought of a compromise and get a watercraft? They are much safer in general and offer as many thrills as bike riding does.

I know a woman from work that her husband was killed when an elderly driver made a left turn in front of him and they guy crashed into side of car. He was killed and only 52 years old.

The guy was just out for a Sunday morning ride and was in the middle lane minding his own business..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back