Knockoff Oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just kind of curious (probably me just overthinking) is there a market for knockoff filters?

Just curious if we ever have to worry about getting a deal on filters and them not being genuine.

I just bough a 6 pack of Fram XG3600 (FL400s) for $26.99. That makes the filters $4.50 each which is considerably cheaper than anywhere else.

So like I said just curious if that's something we need to look out for. Thanks in Advance
[Linked Image]

There have been many that have bought these 6 pack deals off ebay for the Ultra and none have been a fake that I have heard of.
There have been a few that received a dented can or so, but usually the seller takes care of it (some have received credit for the bad one, others have had a replacement shipped to them).

Since it appears from the pic you got it on Amazon, if its fraudulent, just refund your money. Personally, I get really leery of eBay stuff, lots harder to get back your money.

Thanks guys.

I did buy them on eBay from a seller that has 62,xxx+ feedback with 99.9% positive.

I will compare them to a known good one but sounds like I don't have much to worry about

prices vary a LOT + with many things OVERPRICED buying more at once from someone with low overhead a lower price is common. NEVER an issue from fleabay especially using paypal, but not with any visa i used. i buy for the best delivered cost + if a high possible return like shoe fitment i look for a free return unless its REALLY cheap!!

There was a post a while back of someone that was looking at some supposed Honda OEM filters on Amazon, they were definitely counterfeit.

I got a dozen STP Maximum Life filters for around 1/3 of the MSRP recently and all were legitimate. I've never personally seen a counterfeit oil filter and I am always buying mine on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Goodwill, Garage Sales and I almost never pay full price. I also bought some Wix filters on eBay for $6 each, shipped. All legitimate.

I'd be very careful buying any automotive products, especially Toyota and Honda from Flea Bay. Counterfeit parts are running rampant, let the buyer beware. Earlier this week I thought I scored a good price for 3 Toyota oil filters which turned out to be counterfeit. I turned it over to Flea Bay for a refund. I won't be buying anything like that again online.

and conterfiets is why i go to the dealer to buy the filters for my hyundais. its a little more ,but i have a receipt for it and i know its real. i don't want a oil issue tracked to a fake oil filter and warranty denial

Here's my turn at over-thinking this.

Baldwin filters (red paint with simple graphics) put out an illustrated bulletin featuring real and faked filters. Here and there the red color was off and sometimes the printing was crooked and plain didn't match the original layout.

I conclude that simpler artwork loans itself to counterfeiting. While it seems to me that painting a filter alone is hassle beyond belief, setting up a roller printer for the cans' graphics is just another step.

Can you see painting a filter gold, adding graphics then adding non-slip coating? Where is the money? It'd be like printing fake $1 bills.
Better to print fake $50's and $100's.

Oh heavens! My Hastings filters are basically white with one "roll" of printing.

Another thought.....counterfeiting takes place during the night shift when "the cat's away". They say pirated movies come out of the studios a lot of the times. They're not all shot from movie theatre balconies.

Thanks. I agree with you, it wouldn't be worth it for the person making them. Just wasn't sure if it was something worth watching out for

Originally Posted by Nexoidian
Thanks. I agree with you, it wouldn't be worth it for the person making them. Just wasn't sure if it was something worth watching out for

The reality is that it's not a person making these but a factory. There are many factories in China and other places that manufacture what a customer wants. Counterfeiting is a huge business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back