Does Toyota 2.5L 2AR-FE have ADBV in the oil filter canister? or none at all

hey all, i was doing some readings and saw some people convert the cartridge filter to a spin on filter with companies lile baxter and some people were doing it since they said spin on has adbv while some cartridge filters don't have any. i did some reading any was curious, do we have a adbv built into our canister/cartridge? or do we have no adbv? if so, that kinda sucks for dry startups eh?

IMO, most toyota last a long time in excess of 200K, a lot goes till 500K+.
In the grand scheme of thing, there is really any affect if there is adbv or not.
I know, it is suck because of dry start up but it really does not matter in this case.

It may be more important for other brand of cars, though.

On the 2.5L 2AR-FE, does it need an anti-drainback valve? I mean, when I pulled mine off, it would always be full... because it's held that way. It's not upside down and on top of the engine, where it would drain--here, if anything, it'd fill up as other stuff drains off. Seems to me that any can that installed from the bottom of the engine, not at any angle other than threads-up, doesn't need this valve.

Or am I missing something here?

Now on my current vehicles, all the cans are sideways, so they could drain halfway (maybe more). More important here. But my 2AR-FE and 2UR-FE(? Tundra V8) has everything up.

IIRC, the car with horizontal oil filter needs the ADBV but not on the vertical oil filter such as this.

IIRC, the car with horizontal oil filter needs the ADBV but not on the vertical oil filter such as this.
I an oil filter is mounted low with the base up, an ADBV is still going to hold oil above the filter from draining down through the filter and leaving the galleries empty of oil.

It doesn't have one nor does it need one. Filter location and circuit design keeps the housing filled at all times.

1693207267810.jpg

1693207333122.jpg

It doesn't have one nor does it need one. Filter location and circuit design keeps the housing filled at all times.

1693242487718.png
Looks like a cartridge filter setup. Could be there is a built in check valve (ADBV) in the housing, even though the schematic don't show one. Even in this setup with the filter down low, if the oil pump is not tight enough to prevent oil back flow when the engine is off (ie, acting like a ADBV), it's possible that the oil in the galleries above the oil pump level could drain down given enough time.

Fowvay thank you for the diagram of of the oil circuit. Guys who have filter basket should bite the bullet and get one of these:

Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota Camry, get an oil filter drain tool also Once I got over having to pay 45$ for these, I had the cleanest filter R+R so far on the Camrys.​

Anti-drain back valves are only meant for filters that are mounted upside down and some that are sideways. The canister does not need one as mentioned. No, they do not. They do have bypass valves of course.

Anti-drain back valves are only meant for filters that are mounted upside down and some that are sideways. The canister does not need one as mentioned. No, they do not. They do have bypass valves of course.
As already mentioned, look at all the galleries located above the oil filter in the diagram in post #8 - also shown below. An ADBV prevents those galleries from draining down and back through the filter to the sump. All of those galleries above the sump oil level want to drain down to the sump level under the force of gravity. This is one of the on-going misconceptions on BITOG that filters mounted like in post 8 don't need an ADBV of some kind.

Only other thing that would stop the galleries from draining down would be the oil pump, if its clearance was tight enough to do so.

1702183718891.jpeg

Last edited:
Back