Kitchen Sink Gauge Thickness

Oooh interesting question...my Elkay undermount is 18 gauge....back in 2004 I redid our kitchen with Corian (anyone remember that)
:ROFLMAO:

Anyway I selected the components for the hardware, and I went online for them. They were about half of today's prices. I wanted to go deeper but they recommended I didn't as it would need support from underneath. I don't know which of these models it was, but web says 18 gauge.

I can say this, so many things have been dropped over the last 19 years, yet it still looks great and no dents. I just dropped a bowl the other day while washing and was annoyed with myself. When it was brand new, these girls came over and spent the weekend and cooked. I heard my Wusthofs among other things banging on the sink--it was like a Kohler commercial, I wanted them to leave temporarily, so I could check for scratches lol
I have that sink too. Good results and I see 18g.

Hey Jim. I have a white double bowl drop in cast iron sink sitting in the barn you can have and like new. No flexing there. FREE.....

Finally some factoids and I appreciated all responses. Thanks John 😊 I will be requesting 30 day suspensions for you and Walt.
I don't think you get faucet related sink flex with an under-mount sink 😆 😂
That aside great brand info..thanks..
ah right, because the faucet is mounted through holes drilled through the Corian 😊

I have another sink I need to do. Stainless Steel single bowl. 33x22 inch.
Specific question?
What is the minimum gauge required not to get faucet flex when you use the faucet.
I hate the flex..
Drop in style.
My guess is 16 gauge is the minimum?
Maybe @walterjay
I have an option to 11ga but that's probably a huge @OVERKILL 😅
Here's a guide about stainless steel sink gauge.
16.vs 18 gauge sink

Get as heavy a gauge as possible. Most sinks now have a rubberized sound deadening material spray coated on the bottoms.
One advantage to a heavy gauge sink is it doesn't pop and bang from the thermal shock of pouring boiling water suddenly into it like when draining a big pot of pasta.

I have one of those trendy farmhouse sinks in my home. I hate it. It is thin gauge and drains poorly. I have to remove the drain rack that I use for hand washed dishes a few times a week to clean the food particles that collect in the corners rather than washing down the disposal. The other issue is that I rarely have enough dirty dishes to run the dishwasher so I do the dishes by hand and then set them in a stainless drain rack. Not being a divided sink means that running the faucet often means splashing water or debris from dirty dishes over on the clean dishes that are in the drain rack. I never had that problem with a conventional divided sink. I say phooey on those farmhouse sinks. At some point I'll measure the one that is installed and see if a drop in replacement is available.

Back