$256 Delta Kitchen Faucet is a Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.amazon.com/Single-Handle-Kitchen-Pull-Out-Stainless-4153-AR-DST/dp/B00A39FT2M

Plastic fantastic as far as the eye can see with this one. Delta 4153-AR-DST. This thing is the biggest cheaply made p.o.s. I've seen, but admittedly I haven't bought any plumbing fixtures in a while. Worst of all, it features permanent PEX tubing for it's supply piping. And as it turns out, the PEX piping on this thing is way too long to fit up to the copper supply lines under the sink, which rise about 10 inches above the interior deck in the cabinet. So in the instructions, Delta basically says you just might have to cut the PEX down to get a proper connection but if you do, then you risk leaks and it's your problem not ours blah blah blah.

My wife ordered this online, I think Amazon. My fault for not reading the description first, since it may have cited that the fixture (and I use that term loosely) features permanent PEX supply tubing.

It's getting sent back tomorrow. I'm not trying to cut the PEX and retro-fit the fittings back on, I don't have a tube cutter. I was expecting the normal kind of fixture that has copper supply pipes which you can use steel braided flex supply lines on. And, I was expecting more ... brass ... somewhere in the construction instead of such a prevalent use of Plastic Fantastic.

What a piece of junk. Not worth anywhere near $256. Not even $150. $89.95... maybe.

[Linked Image]

You cut them with a pex cutter,or bend them in a roll like an oil line at the boiler. They won t bend tightly but a loop is easier than you think. The faucets today are a lot of plastic,this is so finish won t pit or rust. High end faucets are where you find brass,or go with commercial grade faucets ,function over style.

We just finished a kitchen remodel. We replaced our 49 year old chrome Moen faucet with a stainless single handle Moen faucet for roughly the same $ as your Delta from Home Depot. I contacted Moen a couple of years ago about replacing our dripping bathroom stems. They sent us two new stems free with free shipping. I have used Delta in a couple of rental houses.

You can pick up a Hansgrohe from Costco for a lot less than that. It'll be all metal and include braided supply lines.

Originally Posted by dishdude
You can pick up a Hansgrohe from Costco for a lot less than that. It'll be all metal and include braided supply lines.

You mean Ghroe? My home which was custom built has Grohe plumbing fixtures.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by dishdude

You mean Ghroe? My home which was custom built has Grohe plumbing fixtures.

https://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/

I can't speak to your faucet but I'm a converted true believer in PEX. I think it is a superior supply line than any other type, copper included. I used to get angry seeing it and considered it second rate but many years of exposure have changed my mind.

Pex is the tubing of the future, very easy to install and repair. Planning on replacing some hydronic lines in the boiler with Pex!

My opinion of PEX is positive. Now about Delta? Not so much. My recent experiences with Delta several years ago told me they are not the same as they used to be. That might be said more the other common brands as well. The focus is on style and convenience versus durability. Pfister seems a bit better.

Originally Posted by wog
You cut them with a pex cutter,or bend them in a roll like an oil line at the boiler. They won t bend tightly but a loop is easier than you think. The faucets today are a lot of plastic,this is so finish won t pit or rust. High end faucets are where you find brass,or go with commercial grade faucets ,function over style.

It's the torsion when looped that would concern me. They seem very rigid.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by wog

It's the torsion when looped that would concern me. They seem very rigid.

Believe it or not Pex was engineered......

Last edited:
Our $250.00 Delta starting leaking the first yr. Starting chasing parts, frustration and $$ for the next couple yrs.

Ended up buying a CHEAP $70.00 faucet at Ace Hardware and it been perfect the last 3-4 yrs of so.

Originally Posted by PimTac

My opinion of PEX is positive. Now about Delta? Not so much. My recent experiences with Delta several years ago told me they are not the same as they used to be. That might be said more the other common brands as well. The focus is on style and convenience versus durability. Pfister seems a bit better.

My opinion of PEX is high, but of the crimp connections lasting 50-80 years is dubious.

Granted, Ive seen copper soldered connections fail too, but they have more going for them, IMO.

For long runs, PEX makes sense to me...

For this application, I guess why not just use replaceable flexible connectors? IMO the PEX and its termination just leaves another unknown there which is less user repairable after the first many years.

Good faucets are $$$. Learned that when re-doing our kitchen.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by PimTac

My opinion of PEX is high, but of the crimp connections lasting 50-80 years is dubious.

Granted, Ive seen copper soldered connections fail too, but they have more going for them, IMO.

For long runs, PEX makes sense to me...

For this application, I guess why not just use replaceable flexible connectors? IMO the PEX and its termination just leaves another unknown there which is less user repairable after the first many years.

Good faucets are $$$. Learned that when re-doing our kitchen.

I agree on the connections. The big box stores all push the Sharkbite stuff but if you don't have good cuts then it doesn't matter.

Plumbing fixtures isn't one of the items that I would buy online. I have Delta faucets in my 5 year old home and they work just fine. Of course they were purchased at the local plumbing supply dealer. Kohler makes some fine faucets, too. Just go to your local plumbing supply shop. Lowe's and Home Depot doesn't make the grade either.

I just installed a new Moen pull down faucet in our kitchen. It feels very high quality, and most of the construction is stainless steel.

[Linked Image]

My house came with Delta kitchen faucet..Never again. Small sink has a 40$ Lowes single lever. Total chinesium. Easy install, still working fine 4 yrs later.. Grohe in the large sink weighs much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back