Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

Alright guys I'm all in I have followed a low carb diet for years exercise 6 days a week 6'1 175 few years ago I was about 270. This will be interesting for me and will give it a go for at least 8 weeks and report progress.
Workouts will be interesting for first few days eating will be not much different just a few changes and give up my 1day beer day. I will not sacrifice my workouts they have to happen no matter what we will see how lean I can get this will be good test.

Originally Posted by dave123
Alright guys I'm all in I have followed a low carb diet for years exercise 6 days a week 6'1 175 few years ago I was about 270. This will be interesting for me and will give it a go for at least 8 weeks and report progress.
Workouts will be interesting for first few days eating will be not much different just a few changes and give up my 1day beer day. I will not sacrifice my workouts they have to happen no matter what we will see how lean I can get this will be good test.

Cool, I look forward to the results!
thumbsup2.gif

Have you calculated your BMI? 6'1" and 175 pounds sounds pretty good.

Edit: I just ran the calculator. You are 23.1 which is normal weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Have you calculated your BMI? 6'1" and 175 pounds sounds pretty good.

Edit: I just ran the calculator. You are 23.1 which is normal weight.

Yes about right little lower BMI not always accurate I have bit more muscle mass than most at 46 yeas of age.
The Keto For me is to see if I can do It i have tremendous will power. Most interesting is to see if I can get my body to use dual fuel in time cut a bit fat to get leaner while keeping and or build muscle mass on Keto.

I lost 5lbs only this week (still good though), but I had a lot of corporate lunches where I had to eat with the group instead of fasting.
So while still great weight loss I'm kinda bummed it's not the 10lbs a week I had been used to.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Diets = WASTE OF TIME

Its a convenient excuse to be lazy and not eat right, also a massive profit maker for people touting diets!

Come on already, if you want to lose weight, cut the BS and eat right. Its that easy.
Two meals a day of healthy food of the right portions, NO SNACKS and your weight will fall to the proper weight.

My god, cant be more simple but of course, people like to feel good about things and do nothing about it.
(think about that)

Last edited:
alarmguy,

Some folks mechanisms in their brain that allows them to eat normal portions including carbs and feel satiated is broken all together or causes them to over eat more than they require and this is why Keto and low carb diets work for them. It doesn't help that a lot of what you buy at the grocery store today has unnecessary sugar added to it.

Eating plans like Keto and other low carb ways are balanced and healthy when done properly and with whole foods. I have blood work over the last year and a bit to prove it. Blood sugar decreased with out medication, cholesterol fixed itself, weight loss and my skin has never looked and felt better.

What isn't healthy is folks eating that "diet food" from a box on programs like Jenny Craig, or lying to themselves about Weight Watchers "low points" foods like reduce calorie ice cream sandwiches with a chemical list on the box a mile long. Then cheating when they are hungry all the time and can't stick to this fake food diet and then let the depression about the cheating make the problem worse until they give up and resolve to just be fat and/or unhealthy.

My mom was prime example of this and struggled for decades to keep her weight under control using this traditional nonsense, she even considered lap-band and gastric bypass and now she is almost at her weight loss goal thanks to Keto in just a year and she did it eating what she loves but just cutting out things like Pasta, Bread, Rice, Potatoes, Sugar and anything else considered a carbohydrate. She doesn't miss it either.

21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Diets = WASTE OF TIME

Its a convenient excuse to be lazy and not eat right, also a massive profit maker for people touting diets!

Come on already, if you want to lose weight, cut the BS and eat right. Its that easy.
Two meals a day of healthy food of the right portions, NO SNACKS and your weight will fall to the proper weight.

My god, cant be more simple but of course, people like to feel good about things and do nothing about it.
(think about that)

There is more to having a diet than just losing weight. For diabetics like myself, a low carb diet is essential. Many will go the easy route and use pills and injections so they can eat whatever they want. That is a bandaid on a huge problem and a expensive one at that.

The ones who successfully get their glucose numbers down are the ones who realize that a new life discipline has to be undertaken. Diet, exercise and other habits all contribute to this new discipline.

(think about that)

Given that "healthy food" likely means an absence of processed junk, alarmguy I think may well have just defined a (almost) keto diet + intermittent fasting very well. Just because a keto diet has a name doesn't make it a novelty.

UC50, Steve, Pimtac ..

Steve,
I think we pretty much agree, hope my words weren't taken too personal, we all know people who diet all the time, year in and year out.
If someone uses a vehicle as a diet to get there and it works for them that is great, we all know for most it doesnt but glad it did for Steves mom.

Pimtac,
Im kind of passionate about the subject because I know intimately the effects of heart disease, being overweight and diabetes.
My father suffered and died decades ago from all three above, my brother currently suffers from the same.
They always had this diet or that diet..but never stuck to any of them.

UC50 - I always tried to eat right, fruits, maintain my proper BMI weight for the most part throughout my life, but was no angel about it in my younger years about eating low fat foods all the time.

Fast forward to the last decade, without any type of "diet" or reading up any type of diet, I would say the same as you.
I do not eat until evening and 5 to 6 days a week, home cooked meal, with MANY portions of fruit and broccoli.
Fish 3 times a week, chicken/turkey 2 to 3 times a week and Saturday nights are anything goes at whatever restaurant my wife and I decide.
I NEVER eat fried food anymore, do not drink soda anymore.
Its water, with MAYBE one beer/glass of wine on any evening, once or twice a week.

I eat no less then 4 fruits a day and normally a serving of broccoli.
I have been blessed with blood test results that my own doctors say they wish they had as they as textbook perfect. I take no meds for anything.
With that said, I guess as I get older, I wonder what it is that will strike me down as something gets all of us sooner or later, I hope its later.
:eek:)

Lets face it, people know what to eat and they know what is good for them but everyday, everyday I see the lines, cars backup to the drive through windows of fast food restaurants.

Last edited:
UC50, Steve, Pimtac ..

Steve,
I think we pretty much agree, hope my words weren't taken too personal, we all know people who diet all the time, year in and year out.
If someone uses a vehicle as a diet to get there and it works for them that is great, we all know for most it doesnt but glad it did for Steves mom.

Pimtac,
Im kind of passionate about the subject because I know intimately the effects of heart disease, being overweight and diabetes.
My father suffered and died decades ago from all three above, my brother currently suffers from the same.
They always had this diet or that diet..

UC50 - I always tried to eat right, fruits, maintain my proper BMI weight for the most part throughout my life, but was no angel about it in my younger years about eating low fat foods all the time.

Fast forward to the last decade, without any type of "diet" or reading up any type of diet, I would say the same as you.
I do not eat until evening and 5 to 6 days a week, home cooked meal, with MANY portions of fruit and broccoli.
Fish 3 times a week, chicken/turkey 2 to 3 times a week and Saturday nights are anything goes at whatever restaurant my wife and I decide.

I eat no less then 4 fruits a day and normally a serving of broccoli.
I have been blessed with blood test results that my own doctors say they wish they had as they as textbook perfect. I take no meds for anything.
With that said, I guess as I get older, I wonder what it is that will strike me down as something gets all of us sooner or later, I hope its later.
:eek:)

Good points and it does show that diets and treatments have to be customized for each person. I call my diet a low carb diet because a keto diet includes fats. I am trying to keep those down a bit.

Exercise is also key. I saw a show on NHK this week that showed a particular squat exercise that is useful for lowering blood sugar. I've started to try this and I can say it's hard. I'll slowly work into it.

The only time the Keto diet has shown any long term efficacy is in the treatment of pediatric epilepsy that has been refractory to anti-epileptic medications. I know people like it because of the weight loss... There are even a few docs on board with it(and many more who oppose it).
You will lose weight with it of course. Any diet that puts you into ketosis will cause weight loss while you are in that state. This is a fools errand.
Do not confuse weight with health. Weight and health are bed-fellows but one does not prove the other.

~55% of your calories should come from carbs. Obviously if those carbs are made in a factory you will have problems. If however, you eat as you should and live in the produce section of the grocery store...you will find that you have both an optimal weight and the best health possible.

Fact: there have been ZERO cases of protein based malnutrition in North America in the last 50 years. (don't confuse starvation with protein starvation, plenty of people have the former) Protein is totally overrated. Keto sells though because you can eat so many of the "foods you love"...so many books to write and money to be made.

If the food you are looking to buy has a nutrition label you should look critically and suspiciously. Focus on eating the foods that do not have labels i.e., all of the things in the produce section. Our bodies are the same as they were 50,000 years ago. It's the modern factory produced food that is largely responsible for our endocrine dysfunction (diabetes), our CV illness (ischemic heart disease), and many of our cancers.

Why do you think the following is true:
I can take two groups of 100 people. Put the first group on a good keto diet and give them vitamin supplements in an effort to replace the what they do not get from living on fruits and vegetables. The second group just actually lives primarily on the fruits and vegetables. The outcome of my study, the first group has cancer and CV disease at roughly the same rate as the general population. The second group shows marked reductions in both. Already been studied plenty of times over.

My advice:
Try to not love food. If you need love get a lover, or a hobby, or pass the time telling me I'm an idiot. Food is a means to a healthy life, it should not be the thing you long for in itself.
Live in the produce section. If it has a nutrition label try to buy things with a few ingredients as possible.
Avoid milk and dairy. Milk is designed by a mother cow for the explicit purpose of turning a 200 lb baby calf into a full grown 2000 lb cow (turns out it does the same thing to humans). There is simply no reason for a human over the age of 1-2 to consume it. Drink water to hydrate. No weekend Arnold you don't need Gatorade because you just finished your second mile on the treadmill. If the workout is going into the second hour with a high ambient temp you MIGHT justify something beside water. I prefer my own concoction of apple/celery/spinach juice.
Protein intake only needs to be 10-15%, more is just a job for organs of secretion to breakdown and process.

Originally Posted by Cardiobuck
The only time the Keto diet has shown any long term efficacy is in the treatment of pediatric epilepsy that has been refractory to anti-epileptic medications. I know people like it because of the weight loss... There are even a few docs on board with it(and many more who oppose it).
You will lose weight with it of course. Any diet that puts you into ketosis will cause weight loss while you are in that state. This is a fools errand.
Do not confuse weight with health. Weight and health are bed-fellows but one does not prove the other.

~55% of your calories should come from carbs. Obviously if those carbs are made in a factory you will have problems. If however, you eat as you should and live in the produce section of the grocery store...you will find that you have both an optimal weight and the best health possible.

Fact: there have been ZERO cases of protein based malnutrition in North America in the last 50 years. (don't confuse starvation with protein starvation, plenty of people have the former) Protein is totally overrated. Keto sells though because you can eat so many of the "foods you love"...so many books to write and money to be made.

If the food you are looking to buy has a nutrition label you should look critically and suspiciously. Focus on eating the foods that do not have labels i.e., all of the things in the produce section. Our bodies are the same as they were 50,000 years ago. It's the modern factory produced food that is largely responsible for our endocrine dysfunction (diabetes), our CV illness (ischemic heart disease), and many of our cancers.

Why do you think the following is true:
I can take two groups of 100 people. Put the first group on a good keto diet and give them vitamin supplements in an effort to replace the what they do not get from living on fruits and vegetables. The second group just actually lives primarily on the fruits and vegetables. The outcome of my study, the first group has cancer and CV disease at roughly the same rate as the general population. The second group shows marked reductions in both. Already been studied plenty of times over.

My advice:
Try to not love food. If you need love get a lover, or a hobby, or pass the time telling me I'm an idiot. Food is a means to a healthy life, it should not be the thing you long for in itself.
Live in the produce section. If it has a nutrition label try to buy things with a few ingredients as possible.
Avoid milk and dairy. Milk is designed by a mother cow for the explicit purpose of turning a 200 lb baby calf into a full grown 2000 lb cow (turns out it does the same thing to humans). There is simply no reason for a human over the age of 1-2 to consume it. Drink water to hydrate. No weekend Arnold you don't need Gatorade because you just finished your second mile on the treadmill. If the workout is going into the second hour with a high ambient temp you MIGHT justify something beside water. I prefer my own concoction of apple/celery/spinach juice.
Protein intake only needs to be 10-15%, more is just a job for organs of secretion to breakdown and process.

Ok so you have a opinion just like every other so call expert nothing more.

It's working for me when everything else failed. It's working for my mum when everything else failed. It worked for my cousin in a wheel chair when everything else failed.
It works for the lady in the video on Doctor Oz (above) that has been on it for 10 years and it works for Thomas DeLauer in the video quoted earlier who was 280lbs and now is a body builder.

I guess I'll take my chances that my diet doesn't need to come from 55% of carbs especially when I don't need medication to control blood sugar and loose weight as a side effect.

Last edited:
This blew my mind... 26:50 he talks about the metabolic rate is higher in those eating low carb high fat diets versus those on caloric restriction.

The science in the beginning can be a bit overwhelming but it comes together a litter further on and makes sense and then it's really mind opening so I wanted to include it in this thread.

Back