Fasting

With GON's recent thread about losing weight I started thinking about my weight loss/gain journeys over the years.

One thing I've done off and on is fasting, I've done intermittent fasting, OMAD and a hand full of 48hr and 72hr fasts and have had good results from all of them.

I'm currently about 40hrs into what will be a 48-50hr fast, yesterday on day one of the fast I was reminded how much mental clarity you get while fasting. It's amazing really. Today I'm a bit jittery but still have a very sharp mental focus.

It really goes to show how much of feeling "hungry" is metal as I don't feel hungry at all. Even with the 72 hr fasts I didn't feel hungry. Keeping busy helps.

Anyone else have experience with fasting?

Mine is intermittent fasting, i.e. only 2 meals a day usually, sometimes OMAD. I've tried 2 days fasts but it's not frequent.

With GON's recent thread about losing weight I started thinking about my weight loss/gain journeys over the years.

One thing I've done off and on is fasting, I've done intermittent fasting, OMAD and a hand full of 48hr and 72hr fasts and have had good results from all of them.

I'm currently about 40hrs into what will be a 48-50hr fast, yesterday on day one of the fast I was reminded how much mental clarity you get while fasting. It's amazing really. Today I'm a bit jittery but still have a very sharp mental focus.

It really goes to show how much of feeling "hungry" is metal as I don't feel hungry at all. Even with the 72 hr fasts I didn't feel hungry. Keeping busy helps.

Anyone else have experience with fasting?
As you know the longer you go without food it seems you don't get hungry at all. Good luck

i have been at two meals for a few years + the second is light + mostly to absorb the fat soluable vites i take although i am NOT really hungry!! after a good healthy fat lunch usually about 1 pm. i eat until satisfied but NEVER feel full!

Have tried fasting but for me it is miserable. Fuzzy mind, weak body. I need regular fuel. My annual blood tests are all in spec so I won't be fasting again anytime soon.

I do fine fasting, then my wife starts baking.

Seriously, once I get past a certain initial period, I can roll along just fine and it turns out, it whips my innerds into shape.

not really a fast, I try to eat between 11AM-8PM. I'm losing weight verrry slowly. Since I retired, I've lost ~ 50lbs and 6'' off my waist. Currently 188 lbs an a 34" waist
Intermittent fasting works because after 12-14 hours of fasting the body switches from burning blood glucose to burning body fat for energy. This mechanism is inevitable even if the exact amount of time required varies between individuals. If you can fast for 16 hours it will be even more effective than if you fast for 15 hours. You will be in fat-burning mode for one extra hour. Additionally, a caloric deficit is obviously required if weight loss is the goal. 2MAD in combination with nutritional adjustments should be for most people an easy method of weight maintenance and some weight loss. OMAD in combination with nutritional adjustments is a great way to lose a good amount of weight quickly. And exercise if of course important, even if only a 15-minute walk after every meal.

One thing to avoid is kicking the metabolism into starvation mode. The human body isn't stupid. When faced with a constant caloric deficit the body will try to, hold on to its fat reserves and rather burn muscle tissue for energy. This can be avoided by carb cycling. Carb cycling is done by restricting carb intake pretty severely and by adding more carbs every three ir four days. This will trick the metabolism into not going into starvation mode. The increased carb days should be combined with additional exercise.

For people with metabolic syndrome and diabetes, it gets more complicated and the help of a competent endocrinologist and nutritionist is pretty much required.

The 48hr fast was successful. I broke the fast yesterday evening with a banana while driving home from work. Let that settle for about a hour and then had a Cobb salad and a chicken wrap.

Feels good to fast again as it's been a couple years since my last, I would like to do a 24hr or 48hr fast once a month moving forward.

If anyone is thinking they would like to try fasting but worry it will be too hard it really isn't bad at all. Prep yourself the day before with electrolytes and continue to do so during the fast. If you find yourself feeling hungry it will pass. Like I said before, if you can keep yourself busy that will help more than anything.

I regularly fast 12-16 hours everyday, eating the first meal around noon and last around dinner time. Sometimes I will fast for longer but no more than 24hrs. I don’t get jittery but I do get real hangry so it loses its utility.

I regularly fast 12-16 hours everyday, eating the first meal around noon and last around dinner time. Sometimes I will fast for longer but no more than 24hrs. I don’t get jittery but I do get real hangry so it loses its utility.
I don't usually get jittery until into the 2nd day(30-34hrs in).
Surprising I seem to be calmer when fasting and have more patience. I would think that isn't the norm for most thou. Being easily irritated is suppose to be a side effect of fasting.

not really a fast, I try to eat between 11AM-8PM. I'm losing weight verrry slowly. Since I retired, I've lost ~ 50lbs and 6'' off my waist. Currently 188 lbs an a 34" waist
I'm getting close to retirement and plan to eat between 11-5. I dropped 17 lbs a few years ago with intermittent fasting but really struggle with this due to my truck driving hours. Some mornings I'm up at 3 an some at 7 with everything in between. Good job on the disciplined approach.

Up until about 3 years ago, i Hovered in the 212 to 216 lb range. 5'10", Thick build, 34 inch waist.

Tried the intermittent fasting thing. Was hard. Way too hungry by midday and even when willpower won the battle, and average caloric consumption was down significantly, there was little results in loss of body fat.

Friend said, try drinking your coffee black.
I was using a moka pot , making strong as eff coffee, with a lot of skim milk so I could drink it quickly, get on with things.

Switching to Black coffee, allowed me to eat just one meal a day, at least 5 days a week.
It was convenient and economical.
I lost 30 lbs.
Was rather amazed I could go all day just on coffee and on the dinner from the night before, day after day.

I've kept it off 3+ years now.

I Am down to the 185 lb range, and most days, manage to eat only dinner but a pretty huge portion. Id gotten down to 178 at one point, but was not exercising enough, eating enough protein, and some of that loss was muscle.
Ive been working core muscles relentlessly, and lately rotator cuff and am ashamed i did not do this in my 20's when it woukd have been far easier, and far more beneficial in each and every facet of my life.

I've Still somes stubborn belly fat to lose, but new washed fresh from drier 32 jeans are loose. The guy in the mirror has a flat stomach and thick ripped shoulders, and more salt than pepper in my facial hair, a goatee not needing to disguise a double chin anymore.

Attractive women, half my age have been flirting with a very confused me, in the grocery store, as I am used to being invisible.

The temptations to overeat are worse, the worse I eat.
If i eat frozen pizza for dinner, im starving and weak by midday, and have to eat something to make it to dinner.
If i eat a more balanced less processed healthier dinner I can usually go 23 hours without eating.

Sometimes come dinnertime I am still not hungry, but I am living with and taking care of elderly parents, and have to feed them at their regular hour, and have to taste food as I cook.

Putting milk, or half and half in my morning coffee made intermittent fasting ineffective, or nearly impossible for me. I'd have to eat breakfast, then would be ravenous by lunch, andthannhave the same appetite as always by dinner, but eliminating the dairy made it far easier and more effective.

I got a ways to go, but ive found a formula which works for me.

I just want the belly fat gone. Im not so concerned with what the scale reveals or day to day variations.

My blood pressure went from a regular 136/94 when I was 215lbs to 122/82 now that I am 185ish.

Id like to switch up the fasting a bit more.
Go without eating, for far longer, every once and a while but the current livin sitch makes it difficult, being the family dinner cook.

One thing,.... if and when the hunger pangs kick in, they make me angry.
I punish my abdominal muscles with crunches and variations there of, and drink nearly 2 liters of water, and 8 times out of ten can make it the 23 hours between meals without feeling hungry, but if i give in, even a little, the eating machine, excuse makjng machine can take over and can easily undo a week's worth of effort, in one day.

I think the ' 3 square meals a day' thing is more or less BS foisted on us as youths, as it yields the highest profits for the few who can profit from it.

The temptations to overeat are worse, the worse I eat.
Great post but this line really rings true with me.

When eating a balanced meal of whole foods I find it hard to over eat, I get full and stay feeling full for a long time. However with processed carbs it’s like you can’t eat enough to feel full.

Long term fasting like this will definitely make you lose weight, as you'll be in an extreme calorie deficit overall.

But you'll probably lose quite a bit of muscle overall too since you aren't getting protein in. I'm down 114 pounds and the only thing I regret is not keeping my protein high as I've lost a bit of muscle strength.

Long term fasting like this will definitely make you lose weight, as you'll be in an extreme calorie deficit overall.

But you'll probably lose quite a bit of muscle overall too since you aren't getting protein in. I'm down 114 pounds and the only thing I regret is not keeping my protein high as I've lost a bit of muscle strength.
Very good point. I’ve been eating lots of chicken and eggs to help with that.

More importantly thou I need to start a exercise routine again…

Back