Jiffy Lube And Oil Filters????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife once took our daughter's car to Midas for an oil change, against my advice and wishes.
The next day, they got in touch with me at work and said the car was hard to start after school, which freaked me out!
I hustled over and verified that there was sufficient oil in the car...I then noticed that the oil filter (top mounted on an Impreza) was really small and didn't have a brand name that I could find.
Later on at home, I swapped the oil filter with one from the stock I had for my car and I was able to figure out with some guidance from this site that the one from Midas had no ADBV.
My only guess was that the lack of ADBV made the car just a bit more "dry" on the start after a day of classes and the difference was noticeable enough to make an impression on my daughter.

I don't think the filter Midas used was necessarily a piece of junk, but I suspect that it was just the cheapest possible that would screw onto that car and did not really match the application. I know that there are some engines for which filters with no ADBV are recommended as that function is provided internally, but that sure wasn't the case with the Impreza.

Hmm, it shoulda had an adbv. I don't think it would be that noticable though, that it's gonna caus a noticeable hard start.
Are you gonna cut that filter open?

Originally Posted by RamFan

In fact, you can go to Rock Auto and buy the same jobber filters these lube shops use. Many on this site (myself included) do just that! Champ, Premium Guard, Ecogard, etc. are all available for purchase to you and they're no different than the ones used in shops..

I don't even bother with buying "cheap" oil filters from RockAuto...

I can usually get plenty of "PREMIUM" oil filters from them on clearance/closeout,

- - - including the recent Champion COS line for only $1 each (obviously a Mobil 1 filter in a diff labeled black can)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back