Difference between on Jiffy Lube sold filter and a Fram Ultra on a Ford 6.2l engine

So, prob same reason why I see f-250 with 6.2 gas engine with a PH 500 instead of correct FL-820S eh?
Ford changed the filter spec on the Coyote 5.0L V8 from the FL820S to the FL500S starting in 2015. Both those filters are pretty close in size. Could be that something is different between them, like the bypass valve setting maybe. Some people still use the FL820S for some reason even though the FL500S is specified, but the FL500S seems to be a more robust filter in terms of media tearing in use.

Places like that are famous for multiple application tiny filters, all in the name of wringing every last penny of profit out of the sale.

Would be interesting to see it cut open.
KCJeep,
You couldn't have said it better. Not sure why the oil filter industry allows this to happen.

KCJeep,
You couldn't have said it better. Not sure why the oil filter industry allows this to happen.
It doesn't really matter to the filter industry, since they are probably making the same amount of profit. Honestly, as long as the filter doesn't fail, the only real difference to the engine will be a slight decrease in oil capacity. The manufacturers make several different filters with the same specs for packaging reasons. Not all vehicles with the same engine have room for the largest spec filter.

Changed the oil on a 2016 f350 with the 6.2l gas engine earlier this evening.

Jiffy Lube changed the oil last for the previous owner. This is the first oil change I have done on this truck since buying the truck last December. I have not used the truck except for test drives.

A bit surprised on the size difference between the jiffy lube filter on the Fram xg2.

View attachment 165421View attachment 165422View attachment 165423View attachment 165424
The smaller filter is that same as the MC FL500 used on the 5.0L motor. Same gasket base and thread pitch as a FL820 that’s called for on the 6.2L motor. Try using a Purolator Boss filter next oil change I think you’ll be impressed

Fl500s is longer and crosses with a fram 10575. This service champ crosses with a fram 10060. Threads and gasket diameter are the same, but a significant length difference.

The 10060 is used on the 6.2L LS3. So it shouldn't have hurt anything.

If it has nothing in common as you say then how did it even screw on to the engine
There are dozens of different brand oil filters with nothing in common that will also screw onto the engine ... but those are not the "same oil filters" just because they screw on to the engine.

Reactions: GON
There are dozens of different brand oil filters with nothing in common that will also screw onto the engine ... but those are not the "same oil filters" just because they screw on to the engine.
Yep
Got that part figured out. Just another good reason to do your own oil changes. Just because it fits doesn’t make it right 👍

Reactions: GON
Changed the oil on a 2016 f350 with the 6.2l gas engine earlier this evening.

Jiffy Lube changed the oil last for the previous owner. This is the first oil change I have done on this truck since buying the truck last December. I have not used the truck except for test drives.

A bit surprised on the size difference between the jiffy lube filter on the Fram xg2.

View attachment 165421View attachment 165422View attachment 165423View attachment 165424
I experienced the same issue, the filter they use is much smaller and no markings. Also, the correct filter will not screw on to the car anymore, I suspect they also changed the filter intake or added an adapter.

I experienced the same issue, the filter they use is much smaller and no markings. Also, the correct filter will not screw on to the car anymore, I suspect they also changed the filter intake or added an adapter.
I doubt Juffy Lube changed the filter mount in any way. They most likely screwed up the threads, or you got a filter with the wrong threads.

Back