I’ve got the flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Have you been to the doctor?

That's the best way to catch something even worse.

Agree with you. Went last year to the Doc for a bad sinus infection and a couple weeks later came down with the flu. I wish the best to anyone fighting the flu.

Get to a doctor.

My grandmother is in the hospital right now with pneumonia and the flu, the hospital is jam packed full of people with the flu, I'm not kidding. I've spent a week at the hospital with her and we almost lost her yesterday, tomorrow they're draining her lungs because of the pneumonia.

We get our flu shots around Halloween.
Have done fine last few years but now I'm sick (took today off), wife & son, friends, co workers.
Saw on news California has had 27 deaths so far this flu season. They say the flu season hit about a month early.

I just take whatever the wife has in the cabinet (Theraflu, Advil, Alka Seltzer cold & flu), or whatever just to ease up the feeling somewhat.
I rest but don't want to sleep on/off all day. Watch TV, listen to radio, internet, anything to keep me from to much sleep or I'll be up all night just in case I feel better to make it to work in the morning.

Consumer Reports had an article about colds & flu. If it comes on in an hour or two, fever, muscle aches then it's most likely the flu.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Errtt
I just take whatever the wife has in the cabinet (Theraflu, Advil, Alka Seltzer cold & flu), or whatever just to ease up the feeling somewhat.

A long time ago Theraflu had GelCaps; those were killer. They quit making them for some unknown reason.

I don't know what to think. If I could avoid the flu or pneumonia, I would be happy mostly because I'm in the risk bracket. Worst. I have grandchildren, and Mum is 97. I sure don't want to spread it. Last spring, I got a flu shot and 2 wks later caught a different strain. I was laid up for about 3 wks with it. Mebbe I should just get a pneumonia shot.

anecdotally, when I was having chemo, then radiation, I didn't have a sniffle
grin2.gif

I have Tamiflu on the counter in case it hits. Texas has had people die this year, and not all of them are old & feeble. In SE TX it is everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Bud
[Agree with you. Went last year to the Doc for a bad sinus infection and a couple weeks later came down with the flu. I wish the best to anyone fighting the flu.

Weird you mention that. A few months back I went to the dr with an ear infection. Three days later I have strep throat!.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Try oregano oil remedies. google it.

Oreganol P73 drops and Oreganol Nasal spray. This stuff burns like well, you can imagine, but I really think it works.

The real Sudafed (you have to sign for), Afrin and Motrin.

There is a codeine cough syrup that you can sign for as well that works. IF the cough is really bad, 1/2 tab of hydrocodone will stop the cough at night. It's terrible but it seems "everybody" has a little of this drug lying around left over from a dental or surgical procedure.

I appreciate all the advice guys. Pretty sure it’s the flu as it hit me like a ton of bricks and I feel like I’ve been in a street brawl. Feeling a little better, using Advil to keep the shakes down. Did not get a flu shot, I remember as a kid my dad getting a flu shot , then he went down with the flu for over a week. I think I picked this up visiting a friend in a hospital/recovery center. It seems to me that hospitals are loaded with sick people and I just got caught being there when there was lot of this going around. There’s a reason hospitals have hand sanitizer stations every 20 feet or so. What I hate the most is how weak I am - I couldn’t bring in a half cord of wood if my depended on it.

Stay away from doctor's offices, hospitals, malls and other places where people share the flu virus. Avoid airplane flights if you can, don't shake hands and do all the stuff that you know to stay healthy, yourself.

Flu shots may not have the magic promised by their manufacturer or distributors and no one is going to settle the argument for or against them to you get to choose.

Here in Southern California, the flu is really bad this year. The flu shot missed the target. It's as if it did nothing. There are at least 3 businesses in the San Diego area are on minimum staffing because so many employees are sick and others are going the same way.

Where I've been working we're all working from home right now. The physical building is closed.

I was advised to get the flu shot because I'm defective, recovering from cancer and a senior citizen. I passed on the shot and I'm glad I did. I'm one of the few people from work that has not been hit by the flu. If this keeps up I'm going to take a vacation and stay home.

If you don't feel like cooking many grocery stores makes some good chicken noodle soup made in house. Bought a fair amount of it recently for my mom. Hang in there and drink lots of liquids.

If you've got the chills & shakes, that indicates fever; which means your digestive system has shut down and you might have trouble keeping anything down. When coming out both ends you're at a high risk of dehydration in addition to throwing your electrolytes out of balance.

I go with at least 2 liters/day of gatorade and cherry/grape/etc. popsicles. Clear beef/chicken broth/bouilon might also help. No dairy, no meat: Can't digest that with a fever.

If you can get to a "doc in a box", they'll have prescription-strength drugs.

My "doc" was real sympathetic when I had 103°F fever and was very weak: GO TO THE ER!

Once the fever breaks (you'll know it), you can move up to jello.

Nothin to eat day one couldn't keep anything in. D2, a 2 liter bottle of gingerale. D3, crackers and chicken soup. Nausea, headache, 102 ish fever, chills. Kinda scared because I got pneumonia in '08 and it came on kinda like that. Got driven to ER and was admitted and on oxygen I was down to 60% O2 in blood. On an IV and anti-biotics too. Nurses waking me up to check my vitals. I got up to 104. Drenched the sheets, had fever dreams, embraced the fever, using it to cook the bacteria. I broke the fever at about 3 AM. Lotsa outside help. Without the fluids and drugs and O2, I wouldn't have lasted the night. Flu is a precursor of pneumonia. It is what you die from. Its in your body, but kept at bay by immune system. Fever is the body's defense against viruses. You can burn off a cold by raising your body temp in a sweat til your skin is flushed with blood trying to cool your body and you are sweating from every pore. A hot bath in a hot bathroom and a hot toddy consisting of strong hot tea, honey, lemon, couple fingers of rum or whiskey, not much just enough to help with the flush. Towel dry sorta, cover your head, get under a stack of blankets and sleep.. I dunno where Alphonse got the process, but I used it more than once to stop a cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back