Shingles -The Illness

Who has had a Shingles outbreak? Did you feel muscle pain, headache, and generally like it’s a bad case of the flu?
How long did that last?

Never had it but know some that went through it. I hear it’s brutal and painful.
Like anything severity greatly varies.
I’m planing on the two step vaccine shortly or after the holidays.

Look forward to hearing from those who had it.

remember my grandpa getting it... it is not fun.
I get the shot when the doctor offers it to me..

That sounds like Covid. I tested + for covid yesterday and have those symptoms.

Shingles is a very, very painful rash. There is a vaccine for shingles and nearly all health plans cover it since the cost for the vaccine is so much less then the the cost for medical care for a shingles patient

One of my BILs had it and from what he said it sounded quite painful and persistent.
There is an efficacious vaccine available, two doses three month apart, IIRC.
Wife and I both got the vaccine at the same time a few years back.

I had a moderate case several years ago; a bit of pain and itchiness. I would have rated my experience about 4 out of 10; I knew it was there but it certainly wasn't debilitating. Went to the doctor, got some steroids and just rode it out for a week.

I've had the vaccine shots since then as a preventative measure. Though I suspect I may have had a really mild case one time since the shots, it was so minor I didn't even bother going to the doctor. Perhaps the shots muted the effect?

Shingles can be horrid; much of it simply depends on each unique case.

Thankfully have not had it, knock wood. I've read and as can be seen in the recent comment, symptoms and results are no joke.

I have gotten the shots within the last year. Other than some mild arm soreness with first shot, no side effects.

My wife and I both had the vaccine several years ago. It was two shots. I remember one of the shots was uneventful, the other shot was very painful, like they were injecting boiling water in me. The needle is much bigger than the one they use for a flu shot. My mom had a mild case of shingles a few years ago. It was somewhat painful, but not terrible. My ex-SIL got a case of the shingles a few years ago and it went into her eyes pretty bad. She was legally blind for about a year and still hasn't fully recovered.
I'd say it's best to get the vaccine.

It can be a nasty, debilitating condition. In her 70's my spouse contracted shingles above one of her eyes and in her scalp. It was a close call that it didn't damage her eye--it took several trips to the ophthalmologist. Now 3+ years later she still suffers daily episodes of the burning and itching that comes with post-herpetic neuralgia. For years she had been advised by her physician NOT to have the vaccine due to another health condition. Now she pays for that advice every day. It seems that people with strong auto-immune systems fare better than those without.

Last edited:
Just got my second shot of the vaccine last week. Arm hurt for 4 days. I did get the flu shot at same time though.

I'll take the arm pain after seeing what a retired co-worker went through and is still going through from after affects of having shingles.

Since I had chicken pox twice as a kid.. I'm planning on getting the vac.. eventually.. not quite in the age bracket yet.

I've had it. It was...uncomfortable. It manifested itself on my left forehead and scalp. Did some nerve damage and I was close to losing vision out of my left eye. No permanent damage that impacts me.
When I had it around 35 years ago on my scalp and in my mouth, I ended up quarantined in the hospital and on an IV with Aciclovir for 10 days.

The day I left the hospital, a paralysis of the left side of my face developed; the next day, there was no movement of any muscle, including my eyelid.

It went away after about a month.

There's not much you can do, just wait and hope. Either it's gone after a month or it'll take a long time to disappear.

Definitely no fun; even just touching the hair on my head resulted in the worst pain.

I can only recommend the vaccination, even if your arm might hurt for a day or two. It's not comparable to the nerve pain and only being able to eat mashed food for weeks.

Back in the 80's my Boss got it. He was always in good shape, but they treated him with steroids and he gained 50+ lbs. Was off for 6 months. SIL got it a few years ago above her eye and pretty much lost her sight in that eye. Wife and I both got the 2 vacs a few years ago. Uneventful for us.

I got the shingles vaccine on August 21 at CVS. No appointment needed. Fully covered by my medical plan. I didn’t even feel the shot, it certainly was NOT a big needle as some have said. I was a regular Pheresis donor and those of us who did that know what a big needle is. I was achy for one day from the first shot. A second shot is required 2 months later. I got the second shot on October 23 and had no symptoms at all.

Get the shingles vaccine! I always told people I was more afraid of coming down with Shingles than Covid. I was right, I’m on day two of Covid. Just chills and aches. Maybe I’m fortunate to have such mild symptoms. The dr says just take a regimen of vitamins and the symptoms likely will go away in a few days.

Back