Shingles -The Illness

My father suffered Shingles in his early 60's. That was almost 40 years ago. I don't know if his case was worse than average, but he was covered in sores and in a good deal of pain for some days. I had all the childhood illnesses including the Chicken Pox.

I was working in a medical clinic in administration when the old Zostavax Shingles vaccine came out. There was a big clamor to get it and it was scarce. Very perishable, so you had to go to central locations to get it. It was later deemed largely ineffective (so I've heard) and eventually discontinued. Very pricey if your insurance didn't cover it. The two-part Shingrix vaccine came out, which was effective. There was a very long line to get it for the first year or two. One small producer. I think that I waited 7 or 8 months for the first dose. After that you were prioritized for the second one a few months later. It's said to not be a guarantee that you won't get Shingles, but a big deterrent.

My father suffered Shingles in his early 60's. That was almost 40 years ago. I don't know if his case was worse than average, but he was covered in sores and in a good deal of pain for some days. I had all the childhood illnesses including the Chicken Pox.

I was working in a medical clinic in administration when the old Zostavax Shingles vaccine came out. There was a big clamor to get it and it was scarce. Very perishable, so you had to go to central locations to get it. It was later deemed largely ineffective (so I've heard) and eventually discontinued. Very pricey if your insurance didn't cover it. The two-part Shingrix vaccine came out, which was effective. There was a very long line to get it for the first year or two. One small producer. I think that I waited 7 or 8 months for the first dose. After that you were prioritized for the second one a few months later. It's said to not be a guarantee that you won't get Shingles, but a big deterrent.
Yes, the Zostavax was ineffective. That was the vaccine that he got and still got the Shingles.
I highly doubt that the Shingrix vaccine is as effective as claimed.

Yes, the Zostavax was ineffective. That was the vaccine that he got and still got the Shingles.
I highly doubt that the Shingrix vaccine is as effective as claimed.
I concur. I have a friend, the Psychologist, who had the Shingrix vaccine and she had a second round of it (also after the second round of vaccine) on the back of her neck up into her scalp. She was miserable until the anti-viral drug kicked in.

A guy I work with got shingles in his late 30's. From his shoulder, up his neck, one side of his face and into his scalp. He was miserable for like two months. Nope, no thank you.

I got my Shingrix shots this year (at 52).

I’m getting Shingrix vaccine next week.

If I can avoid miserable blisters I will get vaccine.

5 minutes today at CVS (with online appointment) and we got the Shingrix vaccine. (y)

I will do anything to avoid the nasty shingles blisters and pain.

Last edited:
I had a case over 10 years ago when my parents (500 miles away) were trying to downsize and get rid of stuff (stress)

Not fun; it was on my stomach left, I still have nerve numbness like you might have with frostbite; there is a post infection syndrome that can be diagnosed.

That being said there is some evidence that manuka honey is effective in battling the virus.

I should being queuing up the vaccine in the next few months

People should realize if you have some (probably skin) disease only one side of your body it could be shingles. Get to DR or urgent care and get the medicine within 48 hours and you will be able to have a short lived illness.

Also getting shingles does not really protect you from getting it again. I have asked and was told that. I have gotten the older shingles vaccine and the newer one.

At the first sign of an outbreak call your doctor to get a Valtrex AKA Valacyclovir. It is supposed to help reduce symptoms. Heck even go to an urgent care. Load up on the stuff and keep it in reserve.

"Valacyclovir works best if it is used within 48 hours after the first symptoms of shingles or genital herpes (e.g., pain, burning, or blisters) begin to appear. For recurrent outbreaks of genital herpes, valacyclovir works best if it is used within 24 hours after the symptoms begin to appear."

I got the Shingrix vaccine last year along with my wife. We are both in our mid-50s, and both had chicken pox when we were young.

I was motivated by a conversation earlier last year with a neighbor down the street, and we got on the subject of Shingles. He got it and the virus attacked the optic nerve in his left eye, and he lost all his vision in that eye (apparently this happens in 1-in-a-million Shingles cases).

Combined with other symptoms of Shingles, that's all the motivation I needed to make an appointment to get the vaccine.

I had the chicken pox vaccine so don't think that I can get shingles.

I had the chicken pox vaccine so don't think that I can get shingles.
If you had chicken pox your chances are greater in contracting shingles. Google is your friend on this. Have you had Chicken Pox?

Back