Is this oil filter ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Overthinking. It's a Mann from Germany. Use it.

I've never seen a Mann in a cardboard colored box like that, and I use Mann all the time. Furthermore, the VW branded oil filter boxes don't look like that either.

Scott

VW branded oil filter boxes DO look like that. I can confirm as this is what they look like from the dealer.

Yup:

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

The white boxes are older I believe, I remember getting those in the past.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Did you get the new filter yet?

It looks like that whole pleat is loose. May be just the way they glue the seem on this filter. The Mann filters for her Volvo have the seem glued back to back and overlapped like this model.

I received the new filter today, it looks the exact same. Going to dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix what they messed up when doing a recall recently. I'll pick up a filter from them and compare.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Did you get the new filter yet?

It looks like that whole pleat is loose. May be just the way they glue the seem on this filter. The Mann filters for her Volvo have the seem glued back to back and overlapped like this model.

I received the new filter today, it looks the exact same. Going to dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix what they messed up when doing a recall recently. I'll pick up a filter from them and compare.

It'll be interesting to see a difference if any.

I forgot the word not in my previous post btw. ***And not overlapped like this model.

Well, it appears both of the Rock Auto filters are duds. Thats my take on it anyway. I purchased another OEM filter today, but it was from the VW dealer. It looks normal. I think Rock Auto may have received a bad batch. I'm glad I didn't use the questionable filters.

Here are some pics of the filter I got from the VW dealer.

Of note: this filter is made in Czech Republic, the ones I received from Rock Auto were manufactured in Germany.

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back