Used oil filter from a bmw with multiple tears.

On my 135i, I have noticed that when torqued to spec, the pleats will be twisted a bit. Not to that extent to rip them open, just a tiny bit. But it happens. I’d say it’s an over torque issue…
It's most likely a high dP issue (filter bypass not working right?), and maybe weak media on top of that. Slight twisting won't cause media to tear/fail like that.

How much slop (air gap) was between that filter cage and the inner diameter of the filter cartridge?

Is the built-in filter bypass valve working correctly? If not, could be why the media blew-out/tore like that.
No air gap to speak of. I don't have a way to check the bypass . Car is gone, picked up by the owner. I do about 5 a day right now

It's most likely a high dP issue (filter bypass not working right?), and maybe weak media on top of that. Slight twisting won't cause media to tear/fail like that.
Mine never tore. Point was that they will twist in some filter cap designs, or with manufacturing variability in length.

I’m not a big fan of the filter/housing design on the B48/58 engines. It’s almost a guarantee the filter will twist, I only use OE or Mann on those engines.

No air gap to speak of. I don't have a way to check the bypass . Car is gone, picked up by the owner. I do about 5 a day right now
Did you reset the maint interval on the DIC? Miles in use should be there I would imagine.
It doesn't look ancient, but it wasn't filtering much either to make it "dirty".

Did you reset the maint interval on the DIC? Miles in use should be there I would imagine.
It doesn't look ancient, but it wasn't filtering much either to make it "dirty".
Yes I do on every car. It said it was overdue but that's pretty common when they go to jiffy lube or Walmart and they don't reset the thing.

Yeah I only use MANN, Mahle, or Hengst on BMWs. My guess is a combination of cheap filter + over-torquing + long oil change interval.

I bet the variable oil pumps have something to do with this.

"Old style" pumps gradually increased pressure with engine rpm. I have seen the pressure in our 2020 Jeep move from 18psi to more than 45psi in less than a second.

These repeated surges might be contributing to filter media failures.

Can't really over torque it as once the cap is down it stops
You're right, it isn't from the cap being over torqued, but the filter being the wrong size and getting squished/twisted as the cap is tightened down. This is very common on the BMW forums from some filter brands, and can even cause an oil pressure light.

Back