Used oil filter from a bmw with multiple tears.

Pulled this from a customers x5 this morning. Unknown brand. Unknown miles. Has multiple tears. I put a feeler gauge in one for looks. The whole center is torn... Every pleat.

Judging by the outer seals it's not a Hengst or a Mann.

I put a Mann back in.

IMG_20240301_092655575.jpg

IMG_20240301_093302064.jpg

IMG_20240301_093315241.jpg

IMG_20240301_093345589.jpg

I recently changed the oil in my 535d after 10300 miles. The Mahle filter that came out looked as good as new, just oily. Glad mine didn't look like this one.

How old was the X5? If it's anything like a lot of the X5s around where I live they are bought by people who can just about afford them, then never bother to service them (or at least way too infrequently).

Always used Mann on my N52. You did the right thing.

How old was the X5? If it's anything like a lot of the X5s around where I live they are bought by people who can just about afford them, then never bother to service them (or at least way too infrequently).
And they can't fathom that it needs more attention (and more expensive parts) than an old Accord, Camry, or Civic.

I'm going to say, not BMW OEM. Seen before this sub forum several aftermarket cartridges for BMW with issues. Fram OG Ultra comes to mind because seen a few. When it comes to cartridge filters, in my observation fit in housing an important factor. That's why depending on application, favor OEM. In BMW case, that would be one.

This one looks bad, but be nice to know fci with it.

Was the plastic cage on the filter cap still present? Was the customer made aware and did they respond? I would lose my mind if I saw a filter like that. IMO that's as bad as what @Astro14 had to deal with on his Volvo in Colorado.
The inner one that the filter slips over? If so yes. I told the service manager so I don't know how they responded.

Man, I have seen a few torn filters in my life, but this is the worst one. Probably an amazon special filter, but who knows for sure.

I have no proof & am not trying to name shame here but doesn't fram use those flat end caps mostly? That's what it looks like is a Fram tg.

Most cartridge filters use that style of end cap. The seal is around the center hole and is " fluffy" for lack of better explanation
You're probably right..I just seen another WIX just posted that had those flat plastic end caps... Yeah that "fluff" is probably best described as "Velcro" type of material. It's not actually velcro of course though.

On my 135i, I have noticed that when torqued to spec, the pleats will be twisted a bit. Not to that extent to rip them open, just a tiny bit. But it happens. I’d say it’s an over torque issue…

The inner one that the filter slips over? If so yes. I told the service manager so I don't know how they responded.
How much slop (air gap) was between that filter cage and the inner diameter of the filter cartridge?

Is the built-in filter bypass valve working correctly? If not, could be why the media blew-out/tore like that.

Back