Is the 6.0 liter powerstroke worth buying now?

You could still get it part way through the 2003 model year. 2003 was also the first year for the 6.0L.
That's because the 03 model comes out in September, so they were floating around still at the beginning of the year. People were actually excited about the 6.0 until they realized it had a few kinks lol

That's because the 03 model comes out in September, so they were floating around still at the beginning of the year. People were actually excited about the 6.0 until they realized it had a few kinks lol
They quit making them about half way through 2003 so it was past the beginning of the year. 6.0 had a lot of issues. I know a lot of people who had them and still do.

I personally like 6.0s and would still have one if I could find one rot free. But I also work on them quite a bit.

I am a ford guy, and really like diesels (my favorite being the 6.9L IDI) but I would not touch one. You need to love wrenching yourself to death as you must pull the engine out and do all of the upgrades at once in order to be able to leave town and trust it. That includes rebuilding the FICM on your in house electronics workbench, not some resale center on ebay that polishes the aluminum and resolders a few joints.

Then have a spare parts stock for on the road.

Years ago a diesel was worth it over a gas truck for many people with heavy duty pickups. You could buy a basic truck with a 5.9 cummins or 7.3 powerstroke for not much more money over the V8 or V10 gas option. The diesel engine lasted longer, obtained better fuel economy, and diesel fuel was not much more than gasoline. Every landscaper, municipality, horse breeder, or weekend warrior seemed to have one of these diesel pickups.

Now emissions system repairs and difference in purchase price exceed any long term fuel savings for most people, the only real benefit is if you are towing heavy loads very often, which most are not. Most of the people in the above categories now opted for V8 gas trucks.

I am a ford guy, and really like diesels (my favorite being the 6.9L IDI) but I would not touch one. You need to love wrenching yourself to death as you must pull the engine out and do all of the upgrades at once in order to be able to leave town and trust it. That includes rebuilding the FICM on your in house electronics workbench, not some resale center on ebay that polishes the aluminum and resolders a few joints.

Then have a spare parts stock for on the road.
All that gifting from phord considering the new price ;) GM had similar endowments.

Years ago a diesel was worth it over a gas truck for many people with heavy duty pickups. You could buy a basic truck with a 5.9 cummins or 7.3 powerstroke for not much more money over the V8 or V10 gas option. The diesel engine lasted longer, obtained better fuel economy, and diesel fuel was not much more than gasoline. Every landscaper, municipality, horse breeder, or weekend warrior seemed to have one of these diesel pickups.

Now emissions system repairs and difference in purchase price exceed any long term fuel savings for most people, the only real benefit is if you are towing heavy loads very often, which most are not. Most of the people in the above categories now opted for V8 gas trucks.
I LOVE diesels- saying that, I would only own one if it was for a business and was earning its keep.

I LOVE diesels- saying that, I would only own one if it was for a business and was earning its keep.
They're also beneficial if you keep a vehicle a long time. I have 220,000 on one of my diesels, but it's all in town driving, so it has like 11,000hrs on the engine if I remember right. I think about 5,000hrs is all you get from a gas engine.

If its in good condition, good price and you have the funds and knowledge to bulletproof it, I would go for it.

Ive driven and driven in several over the years and I think they are nice trucks.

I also think they are a sharp looking truck, just a classic style.

Back