Is the 6.0 liter powerstroke worth buying now?

My friend was saying how he picked a truck up for like 5k. It looked good, not sure if it was running or not to get that price. The parts that were once expensive seem fairly cheap now. I see they ask outrageous prices for then still online. I'd probably want to have someone fix it so it's dependable Not get one that's stock that they want a ton of money for and who knows what could go wrong.

Well, he bought it so good luck to him. Hopefully he has another $5k to invest. I'm personally not a fan of the 6.0 but many are still running today after lots of maintenance and "bullet proofing."

Well, he bought it so good luck to him. Hopefully he has another $5k to invest. I'm personally not a fan of the 6.0 but many are still running today after lots of maintenance and "bullet proofing."
My son has one, but as stated they are good engines once the "bullet proofing" is done. The oil and EGR cooler, and head gaskets will go without a doubt. Get upgraded parts and redo the head with studs and they seem to run a long time and have lots of power.

Parts may have become cheaper over time, but the labor to bullet proof them has not.

If one *must* have a diesel for towing, and you don't want the headaches of the modern diesel emissions systems, a 6.0 can be a good option if you find a clean one that has been bullet proofed and are okay doing your own work on it. Outside of that they are never really a "good deal", especially a $5,000 one.

I'd rather have a 5.9 Cummins (the 6.7s have egr and dpf and scr and all those systems break.)
Good point. Be better off p pumping a 5.9

The late (03+) 5.9s were common rails and have a bit more power, but you can't run them off of French fry grease as easily

He would have been better off with an old 5.9 Cummins, P-pump if he could find one. I had a company ‘04 E-350 6.0 PSD that had ”the works“ thrown at it by Ford under warranty at ~60K miles-head gaskets, EGR cooler, all the updates. It made over 250K with minimal issues until the Torq-Shift grenaded reverse, so they’re not totally bad, just woefully under-engineered. A Ford specialty!

Supposedly by 2005 they had the bugs worked out. I know a guy that had one and I think it was even stock. He was putting in a new icp sensor ine day and I walked over and chatted with him. Sounded like he didn't have many issues with it. He had it for like 10 years. He has a 6.7 now

We have one in the flight department. I don't work on it, but I do hear about it. Injectors are time consuming monsters. Head gaskets can fail, especially with a tune. There have been successful "one bolt at a time" head bolt to ARP style stud replacements. As I understand it, this solves the head gasket issue. Assuming the head gasket is currently OK. Oil cooler fixes are supposedly important too.

We have one in the flight department. I don't work on it, but I do hear about it. Injectors are time consuming monsters. Head gaskets can fail, especially with a tune. There have been successful "one bolt at a time" head bolt to ARP style stud replacements. As I understand it, this solves the head gasket issue. Assuming the head gasket is currently OK. Oil cooler fixes are supposedly important too.
Coolant filter too. They never got all the sa d out of the block from the factory and all that stuff cloggs the oil cooler.

Supposedly by 2005 they had the bugs worked out. I know a guy that had one and I think it was even stock. He was putting in a new icp sensor ine day and I walked over and chatted with him. Sounded like he didn't have many issues with it. He had it for like 10 years. He has a 6.7 now
I do not think the bugs were ever worked out for new vehicles with a 6.0 engine. They just dropped the 6.0 at some point and went to the Ford designed 6.7.

They can be hit or miss. My fiancé bought a new 2003 Superduty with the 6.0 and owned it for 14 years and 96,000 miles and the only engine issue it ever had was a leaking EGR valve cooler hose. The engine was totally stock and had not been bullet proofed.

Her mom bought a new 2004 with the 6.0 and had several issues early on like a turbo failure and something else. At about 75,000 miles it blew a head gasket and had to have about $10,000 worth of repairs done. This engine was totally stock at that time. They did have it bullet proofed during the repairs and have not had any problems with it since. I think it has around 95,000 miles on it now.

Her dad has a 2007 that he bought used and it was already bullet proofed so he really hasn't had any real engine issues except for some sensors and it has some glow plug codes in it. He has had a lot of electrical issues with the HVAC module and radio and replaced both of them with new Motorcraft parts and he still occasionally has problems with both of them.

I think they dropped the 6.0 for the 6.4. The 6.7 came later
Navistar was supposed to fix the issues with the 6.0 had with the 6.4 and it was an even bigger disaster. This is when ford sued Navistar and they make the 6.7 in house now.

Back