Is Quaker State a dying brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: csandste
Didn't check Advanced but QS 5-30 and 10-30 (no 5w20) conventional are on AutoZone's web page-- showing being stocked in store, didn't check syns or blends.

QS 5w20 shows up in O'Reilly but goes into a circular search doesn't show stocking when I put my local store in.

https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/engine-oil?filters=4294761448-4294761334

Would think that QS's quick lube contracts with Walmart and Firestone would count for quite a bit too.

I apologize - I did see the conventional on AutoZone.

I was specifically looking for the QSUD, in 5w-30 weight.

Additionally, I went to the physical locations of all 4 brands - Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, and Advance.

Only Advance had even carried it recently, and they had clearanced it a few months ago.

I think Shell may be looking to consolidate brands. I see Pennzoil advertisements regularly, but never any QS.

Which really sucks, because QS will give you a bonus check if you hit 300k miles on an engine, using QS.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
My Elantra owner's manual says Hyundai recommends Quaker State. Hyundai seems to think it will be around for a while.

Was just thinking of Quaker State with Slick 50 today. That alone should put one nail in the Quaker State brand name coffin.

I just bought a new 2018 Elantra, and it's recommended brand is QS.

Not that that matters a great deal to me, but QS is the "generic" Pennzoil, and they have a cool bonus program.

If you hit 300k miles on an engine using QS, they cut you a check for the KBB value of the car.

Since I assume the factory fill is QS, with the Hyundai partnership, and I am a bit obsessive, I want to try to hit the 300k mark with QS oil, from start to finish.

But if Shell plans to nerf the brand (and the award, I assume), then I would rather just run Pennzoil from the get-go.

One of the times that it would be great to have Johnny here...
frown.gif

Rumor floating around is that SOPUS is going to go down to one brand in the near future-and dive a bit more into the private market.(ala Valvoline)

The oil market is getting a bit too crowded....and I expect a few more companies to cut back as well.

A tell tale sign is that ALL my local WMs have maybe a facing of each weight/use, when it used to have more than that.

Hoping against the rumor...but the more I see, the more I wonder.....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
One of the times that it would be great to have Johnny here...
frown.gif

Rumor floating around is that SOPUS is going to go down to one brand in the near future-and dive a bit more into the private market.(ala Valvoline)

The oil market is getting a bit too crowded....and I expect a few more companies to cut back as well.

A tell tale sign is that ALL my local WMs have maybe a facing of each weight/use, when it used to have more than that.

Hoping against the rumor...but the more I see, the more I wonder.....

I think you are on to something here. I’ve noticed the same thing as well. Two or three grades and that’s that.

Supertech is getting more real estate as well. The impact of Walmart’s brand must be substantial.

Not so sure that Quaker State is "dying", as much as Pennzoil is clearly taking the lead as the top product, as far as technology and marketing. Quaker State is going to be slotted in the middle below Pennzoil, and Shell (Formula Shell) at the low end, below QS.

No problem... I'll buy Formula Shell all day long at $1.99 a quart (or less).

Where have we seen this before? That's right... Michelin / BFGoodrich / Uniroyal.

It seems to quiet down the valve train noise on my Trans Am engine. With Mobil 1, the engine definitely sounds different.

My AAP's were getting QS oils off the shelf back in Sept. '17. I bought up tons of it on the cheap.

I have liked QSGB for some time and it's a go to oil for me.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My AAP's were getting QS oils off the shelf back in Sept. '17. I bought up tons of it on the cheap.

My AAP didn't have much left, I was able to get 5qts 0w20 QSUD for ~$2.50/qt., and up next for an OC.

I don't think AAP closing out QS oil products necessarily an indication SOPUS getting rid of brand. Now if WM was to remove QS oils from shelves across the country, then I might agree. So at this point think QS remains as viable for SOPUS. As noted, QSUD jug at WM for ~$20, best everyday value priced synthetic.

I doubt Quaker State is going away...my feeling is that it didn't sell well at AZ, AA etc....because it's priced so good at WM that it didn't sell well at those other places. I think QS makes great oils and is more of a 'value' brand for SOPUS....QSUD for $19.97 (for the 5 qt. jug) is an awesome everyday price on an excellent oil, IMO....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I doubt Quaker State is going away...my feeling is that it didn't sell well at AZ, AA etc....because it's priced so good at WM that it didn't sell well at those other places. I think QS makes great oils and is more of a 'value' brand for SOPUS....QSUD for $19.97 (for the 5 qt. jug) is an awesome everyday price on an excellent oil, IMO....

I agree. When I bought the AAP close out QSUD, I can't remember it's exact regular price, but seems I do remember thinking no wonder they didn't sell much.

The current WM TLE "Pit Crew" $19.88 oil and filter change, advertises QSAD as the oil used.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
Disappointing, in the 60s, 70s, Super Blend and DeLuxe was considered to be the Best.

Yup. My dad and grandfather always used DeLuxe in their Chevys. I can still picture the old style cans that got phased out in favor of bottles some time in the 1980s.

I hope not. Really like QSUD. Readily available at Wal-Mart good price. If sopus wants to push Penzoil ultra platinum how about getting it in stores. Only place I see it is on Amazon

I'm interested in QSUD 5W30, but I can't find info from the maker on the dexos1 Gen 2 formulation.
I wade through the horrendous Shell EPC site and the latest PDS I can find is from May 2017, but I can't be sure that I didn't miss something newer as there are at least 4 version of the QSUD 5W30 PDS on there. The version from May was like a M1 PDS, anyway, precious little good info in there.
A big reason I bought Valvoline for my last change was the fact that they had useful info about the product on their website...it was also easy to find! Amsoil really stands out for being good about sharing info, too.

Walmart uses QS for their Pit Stop oil change service which is under $20. Usually around $17.88-19.88 or so. Many, many customers get this oil change for their cars. Note that Walmart chooses to use this oil instead of their own house brand oil, Supertech. Firestone also switched over to QS formerly it was Kendall. Not a dying brand, just a value brand for the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back