Is oil really THAT important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing we can’t measure (that OEM’s & oil companies can) is how close to “new” performance does your engine remain? There is always a balance in the OEM planned adolescence … versus what you want from an engine …
In my case, the vehicle is likely to be passed on or sold cheap to family/friends … low scale philanthropy I reckon
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
The more complicated engines become, the more oil specs/approvals play a part in the health of the engine. I'm sure you've seen a few of the various Dexos1 Gen2 threads.

KameleON - Yes, i'm sure there are no oil related issues, discussions, forums in your neck of the woods. None.

I don’t know anybody, that has changed the oil and used decent oil, that has had a lubricant related issue.

Obviously diesel contamination of oil is slightly different, imho.

I have known people that repeatedly push oil change intervals to the maximum. And those who adopt a similar risk averse strategy that do.

The only times I have heard of oil related issues is when the person has ran the vehicle low on oil or not changed it for years.

Have never heard of anybody having sticky piston rings or regular changing of the crankcase breather.

It would be nice to know why this is

I can only assume it is a mixture of oils used, climate and usage.

Maybe if relevance is Europe don’t push thinner oils in the same way they do in North America

It might also be relevant that in Europe Dino or Mineral oil is pretty rare.

You can’t measure life by internet surfing because mostly the complainers post … while happy campers go on with life …

I work for a railroad and we have thousands of fleet vehicles on the road every day. Basically, their oil gets changed at approx 5k mi with whatever type of oil that shop uses (Midas, Jiffy, Stealerships). How many of our vehicles ever fail due to oil related problems? Not many, and many sit and idle most of the day and are driven in all types of weather up to the 300,000mi mark.

As others have already said, IMO just change your oil regularly and if you are trying to maximize efficiency, get a used oil analysis to see just how far you can safely go on an oil change.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
You can’t measure life by internet surfing because mostly the complainers post … while happy campers go on with life …

+1

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Really using the cheapest oil that will meet the manufacturer's specs will be enough in most cases, is it worthwhile spening more money on better performing oils that cost more money, i would say it is too.

However in some cases you need to be more careful, for example direct injection engines or old carbed engines that suffer from a lot of fuel dilution need more frequent changes, old muscle cars with flat tappet valvetrain engines need an oil with an adequate amount of zddp to prevent cam/tappet wear.

Just because it is more expensive, does not mean it is better. Sometimes the cheaper oil is the better one. This is why I like this site so much.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

I don’t know anybody, that has changed the oil and used decent oil, that has had a lubricant related issue.

Come over here to our shop. I can show you many. There are two in the shop right now getting new pistons and rings.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

*deletes post and goes on with life*

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: Onug
Asking if “oil is important” on an oil forum is a loaded question. Active BITOG’rs are here because we’ve reached Nerd level status on oil (and related lubricants). I find the question intriguing from someone that has nearly 1,400 posts here.

Generally speaking, I agree using a modern oil that meets your OEM’s specifications and a reputable filter per the OEM’s oil cycle is adequate. Follow that plan and there is no need to have fun here on BITOG. But we know that because nerds here have proven it with ample UOAs and pictures of engines pulled apart with 150K+ miles. We also have forum members that prove you can go much longer on oil cycle than even the OEMs suggest. But I can show you a discussion on the Ford forum I frequent where a guy bought a nicely used F-150 with 20,xxx miles and the engine was destroyed by sludge due to the previous owner’s neglect. We also know that a few modern engines (mine included) are susceptible to fuel dilution and oil shearing.

In summary, I agree that following the recommended maintenance cycles with modern oils is a straight forward way to get you engine to 200k miles so you can worry about belts, leaks and other high mileage ailments.

Do you have a link to the F-150 sludge thing?

I stand corrected, the truck had 28,xxx miles
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1487819-oil-sludge-at-28k-on-my-3week-old-cpo-2015-platinum.html

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Come over here to our shop. I can show you many. There are two in the shop right now getting new pistons and rings.

Did they always follow the MM? Is it the 3.7L engine? Did they only use dino/semi-syn when changing the oil and following the MM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Decent (proper OEM if required, but actually spec'd) spec oil in an appropriate grade for your starting and operating temperatures, and your engine really won't know what the label on the bottle is or how much you paid for it.

+1
smile.gif

But, to be different - I just picked up two 2-gal jugs of Mystic Syn-Blend HDEO at Tractor Supply for $8.99 on clearance. That ought to keep something around here running for the next 10 years
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Asking if “oil is important” on an oil forum is a loaded question. Active BITOG’rs are here because we’ve reached Nerd level status on oil (and related lubricants). I find the question intriguing from someone that has nearly 1,400 posts here.

Generally speaking, I agree using a modern oil that meets your OEM’s specifications and a reputable filter per the OEM’s oil cycle is adequate. Follow that plan and there is no need to have fun here on BITOG. But we know that because nerds here have proven it with ample UOAs and pictures of engines pulled apart with 150K+ miles. We also have forum members that prove you can go much longer on oil cycle than even the OEMs suggest. But I can show you a discussion on the Ford forum I frequent where a guy bought a nicely used F-150 with 20,xxx miles and the engine was destroyed by sludge due to the previous owner’s neglect. We also know that a few modern engines (mine included) are susceptible to fuel dilution and oil shearing.

In summary, I agree that following the recommended maintenance cycles with modern oils is a straight forward way to get you engine to 200k miles so you can worry about belts, leaks and other high mileage ailments.

Do you have a link to the F-150 sludge thing?

I stand corrected, the truck had 28,xxx miles
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1487819-oil-sludge-at-28k-on-my-3week-old-cpo-2015-platinum.html

Thanks.

I am still not convinced that the TSB for the oil consumption, is not related to running the OLM to 0% on certain trucks. The F-150 Forum "IAmRaiderPower" guy with the TSB issue ran his factory fill for over 12k miles. The engine went south at about 14k. I have no data to back this up. Just a feeling. It might be a combination of Severe Service and long OLM. Short tripping, on these engines, might be at the top of the list.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

Did they always follow the MM? Is it the 3.7L engine? Did they only use dino/semi-syn when changing the oil and following the MM?

Almost every single one of them just followed the MM with the OE semi synthetic 5W20. Yes, the MDX 3.7, but we also see the same issue with the TL 3.5 and TSX 2.0. Pretty much everything from the start of the use of a MM.

Ask any Acura dealer tech, and NONE of them follow any factory MM. Well, one guy does, but he just leases a new car every two years.

Last edited:
Almost every single one of them just followed the MM with the OE semi synthetic 5W20. Yes, the MDX 3.7, but we also see the same issue with the TL 3.5 and TSX 2.0. Pretty much everything from the start of the use of a MM.

Do these cars have the dreaded VCM feature?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Do these cars have the dreaded VCM feature?

Only the MDX.

I can't imagine ever going 10k on an oil change. When I drain the synth oil out of the Mustang at 3k,it's black as tar.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
"...you do not have to geek out on oil specs..."

Comment of the day
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
wemay said:
It might also be relevant that in Europe Dino or Mineral oil is pretty rare.

Aint that the same thing?

Meanwhile in Australia; we have an abundance of Dino oils meeting the A3/B3 or B4 specifications. Nice to have the peace of mind that what constitutes "cheap oil" here will be perfectly adequate for many European vehicles of the 80s, 90s and maybe 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back