Is buying Oil on Amazon safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my Amazon part. I ordered a Standard Motor Products part and was sent a Dorman part in a NAPA box. I'm in the process of returning it.

I know it's just a PCV grommet, but it's not what I ordered and this one looks more like the last one which was plastic and not rubber.

View attachment 206675
Nothing new, Amazon is famous for the switcheroo as I've already stated earlier.

I buy Mobil 1 oil all the time on Amazon, as well as Shell 134 A/T fluid, Techron, and many other automotive products. Delivery takes 1-2 days ad never an issue with getting a different product than ordered.

I usually buy at Walmart as it is close or also delivers. I once bought 2 jugs of Castrol on Amazon and they were never delivered although the status says "shipped" for weeks. I guess I made a mistake of picking a third party vendor instead of fulfilled by Amazon.

Got refund and don't plan to order from Amazon anymore as Walmart prices are better / competitive.

Ages ago I ordered from Amazon some Castrol full Synthetic both times they sent me blend instead. Both times they got it back and that was the end of my Amazon orders for oil.

C’mon fellows. Bezos needs the money. You know he had to drop a billion $$$ on wife to get her to go away.

And who hasn’t had to do that ?

Z

PS: but her replacement, sheesh ! Maybe she has qualities that don’t show in a photo.

IMG_9030.jpeg

I buy Mobil 1 oil all the time on Amazon, as well as Shell 134 A/T fluid, Techron, and many other automotive products. Delivery takes 1-2 days ad never an issue with getting a different product than ordered.
Same here, never even had a leaky jug. The only knock-offs I have ever received from Amazon, I specifically ordered knock-offs because they were cheaper and served the exact same purpose, just without the brand name markup. In fact, in 20 years of Amazon shopping, the only issues I've ever had were damages or items lost during shipping, and were quickly made right by Amazon.

I do sympathize with the multitudes who have had issues, though. Not getting what you ordered and having to do a runaround to resolve it is definitely not ideal, especially if the item is for a time-sensitive project.

Hmmmm, Amazon or Walmart ? Who do I want to give $27.97 to for my 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 0w-40 ?

My money is either going to the billionaires of the right- wing Arkansas hillbilly royalty family
or
to the billionaire left wing Amazon founder…… Hmmmm….

OK, Jeff B, here’s my $27.97. You get it cause I feel for you losing a billion dollars in that divorce. I know that feeling, albeit on a smaller scale.

Z
Amazing how often you inject politics into buying a jug of oil …

I've purchased a lot of auto lubricants from Amazon, all name brands and case quantities. My last purchase was a case (12 qts) of Idemitsu 0W-20.

Note who is doing the shipping and especially the selling.

Before placing an order, read the "Most Recent" reviews of the seller you're considering. I was shopping for Genuine Toyota Motor Oil but recent reviews for this particular seller mentioned that some case orders were short one or two quarts (buyers paid for a full 12 quarts).

Amazon is a market place, just pay attention who you actually buy from and whether the product is "Fulfilled by Amazon", then you won't have issues returning it if it's fake, wrong or damaged.

A few years ago I bought 3 bottle of M1EP from Amazon, which ended up leaking all over my garage. Mobil sent me a refund, even though I just asked for replacements. These days I buy it from Walmart or Meijer, especially since Walmart is the only source for Fram Endurance oil filters.

Sure, a bit of ATF, 4x jugs of Castrol Magnatec, 2x jugs of Vavoline HM blend that i still havent used, about 12 quarts of 75w90 mostly gone, Tung oil for wood projects. I havent bought much PCMO because Amazon hasnt been cost competitive in general except for the occasional sales that I didnt bite on.

Amazon is known for a lot of fake products, is buying oil on Amazon safe? The Castrol shelf space at Walmart keeps shrinking 🥲
When buying oil from Amazon, I always have a concern that maybe someone returned the jug with their old oil after an OCI.
So I only buy oil with really safety minded caps that prevent tampering.

I like the SuperTech oil from Walmart because it contains the best anti-tamper caps on their 5 quart jugs. I use an exacto knife to remove the plastic safely. But you know that no one ever tampered with the SuperTech oil, because if they did, the plastic would never go back to the way it was on the spout.

Mostly good. Don’t think I ever got anything fake. Got several cases of Driven for $30-35 each. Explain that. Got a 6-pack of VR1 with two quarts missing but that was replaced. A case of Schaefer’s must have been damaged and leaking before it arrived and got cancelled. I got a replacement for that order. Got a jug of Mobil 1 same price as Walmart but I wanted to use a return credit burning a hole in my iPad. Just got two jugs of PUP under $30 each. Ordered them separately. I didn’t want to fool around with the rebate. I would have to pay $8-10 each more for it initially. All bought and shipped from Amazon.com except maybe the Driven. So I would say Amazon is OK.

My money is either going to the billionaires of the right- wing Arkansas hillbilly royalty family
or
to the billionaire left wing Amazon founder…… Hmmmm….

There is a lot of complaints about the working conditions and pay at Amazon facilities. Amazon is also making billions by selling cheap Chinese junk at inflated prices. God knows what the working conditions are like in those factories. Jeff seems like a hardcore neoliberal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back