Is buying Oil on Amazon safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon is known for a lot of fake products, is buying oil on Amazon safe? The Castrol shelf space at Walmart keeps shrinking 🥲
My oil has always seemed fine, but I stopped with filters because I had 3 arrive severely dented.

My local WM was out of 0w40 today when we went by. Actually, quite a few times I’ve gone there and they were out of stock

The Castrol shelf space at Walmart keeps shrinking 🥲

Maybe there's a good reason for it. Castrol hasn't come up with an inovative product in a long time. Their last "inovation" was Castrol Extended Protection, which is an MB 229.71 formulation that they sell as extended drain oil. If customers want a high quality Group III synthetic, there is Valvoline right next to them.

Sidenote: I use Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30 in one of our vehicles. It works great.

I'd prefer buying oil from walmart,
Oil bought from amazon is safe you are 1000x more likely to get a broken bottle.

Now spark plugs or some other niche products such as aquapel that is the wild west of fakery.
It can be buyer beware but there are dealers that sell on ebay and amazon... that I would trust.

Always a risk of counterfeit on Amazon. That being said, I've ordered plenty of motor oil and ATF from there. It smelled like the real deal and it was slippery! 😂

If you know what to look for, you have a pretty good chance of spotting the fakes. The Car Care Nut did a video about it on YT.

I've had no issues purchasing oil or other vehicle fluids like Valvoline CVT fluid and Maxlife FSMV ATF from Amazon. Normally for oil though, WM is just better option for me. Since Amazon and WM tend to price match each other, no advantage there. Last purchase at Amazon though, Amazon Basics 0w20, better price at the time than Super Tech Full Syn 10k. My purchases have been from Amazon as seller.

If it's shipped and sold by Amazon, I would feel comfortable buying the oil.

That said, Amazon is becoming Temu/Alibaba, so I find myself watching what I buy more closely.

Maybe there's a good reason for it. Castrol hasn't come up with an inovative product in a long time. Their last "inovation" was Castrol Extended Protection, which is an MB 229.71 formulation that they sell as extended drain oil. If customers want a high quality Group III synthetic, there is Valvoline right next to them.

Sidenote: I use Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30 in one of our vehicles. It works great.
True but I feel like my car like Castrol better

Last edited:
I've bought oil through Amazon plenty of times, especially for motorcycles or tranny/gear fluids, but usually buy through Walmart for OTC automotive oil. I get my filters from either dealer or Amazon. Never had issue with either ones.

Hmmmm, Amazon or Walmart ? Who do I want to give $27.97 to for my 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 0w-40 ?

My money is either going to the billionaires of the right- wing Arkansas hillbilly royalty family
or
to the billionaire left wing Amazon founder…… Hmmmm….

OK, Jeff B, here’s my $27.97. You get it cause I feel for you losing a billion dollars in that divorce. I know that feeling, albeit on a smaller scale.

Z

Sold & Shipped by Amazon is pretty much a guarantee you will get genuine oil. Otherwise there is a risk of counterfeit oil and parts.
Maybe but you do run the risk of getting a different item, awhile back I ordered AC Delco power steering fluid for my truck, I bought the cold climate version which is a synthetic blend but they sent me the regular. I posted a bad review on it and stated I received the wrong item but they refused to post it and stated that I needed to take it up with the seller who was Amazon themselves.

Just because you are buying from Amazon directly doesn't mean it's going to be 100% correct, also lots of posts on the Pennzoil Platinum 3x jugs but only receiving one, others have gotten the correct number so it's a toss up.

I just got my Amazon part. I ordered a Standard Motor Products part and was sent a Dorman part in a NAPA box. I'm in the process of returning it.

I know it's just a PCV grommet, but it's not what I ordered and this one looks more like the last one which was plastic and not rubber.

IMG_20240304_173726341.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back