Has anyone tried Mercedes's 0w20?

I know it's likely bottled by Mobil. It's 229.71 spec, and I can get it for about $7 per quart. I figured best MB 0w20 was Castrol Edge EP on a budget, but that's obviously a problem with Walmart discontinuing their shelf space in-stores.

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_173824422.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230812_173824422.MP.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20230812_173830889.jpg
    PXL_20230812_173830889.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 81
Since when does a bottle saying its synthetic actually mean anything outside of Germany?
Trust in the certification and be happy you found good oil at a decent price.

US / Row Motul: "100% Synthetic" :cool:

German Motul "Synthetic Technology" :ROFLMAO: Reality Check ✅

Last edited:
Its the same oil, most likely group III(+) oil base. If you want to call that Synthetic thats on you.
Shure as hell it comes from underground and not a chemistry lab.

Anything under ~70% group 4 oil can not be sold as Full synthetic in Germany by law.

Last edited:
I know it's likely bottled by Mobil. It's 229.71 spec, and I can get it for about $7 per quart. I figured best MB 0w20 was Castrol Edge EP on a budget, but that's obviously a problem with Walmart discontinuing their shelf space in-stores.
Total ******** that Walmart stopped carrying Edge EP.

So which is it? Am I right or not?

Wrong im afraid.

You want to call group III oil drilled from the ground synthetic. You do you.
What manufacturers put on the bottle outside of Germany means nothing to me.
All good modern oils are group III base to a certain extent, except GTL and a few more exceptions.

The MB 0W20 is probably mostly group III aswell. 100% Synthetic is a totally meaningless marketing statement.

Last edited:
So which is it? Am I right or not?
Go look at the SDS for it. It won't mention a 1-decene homopolymer PAO basestock in the SDS ingredients list, just hydrotreated basestocks

German law won't allow oil companies to call a Group III oil "Full Synthetic" for oil for sale in Germany.,

Last edited:
Synthetic technology = synblend

Full Synthetic = Group III for the cheaper and Group IV, PAO etc higher levels as the costs rise with really expensive oils proudly declaring themselves 100% PAO

Back