Is BITOG just a version of social media or is it something else?

It definitely defines what a social media company is.
I feel like you are blending the companies that own platforms like Twitter etc. with what "social media" is in this context. How can't a forum like BITOG meet this to "T"?

Screenshot_20230305_161335_Google.jpg

Find a definition that says this.

Find a reference to monetize here: https://www.lawinsider.com/dictionary/social-media-platform

Or here - https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/social-media.asp

Or here - https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/social-media-platform

I didn't pick and choose those results either, they are the 1st (3) that Google gave for "what is social media platforms".
You will notice a very specific word that I used.

BITOG is NOT a social media COMPANY.

BITOG is NOT a social media COMPANY.
You're pigeon-holing definitions to suit your narrative.

BITOG does NOT engage in networking

Yes sure there are plenty of social interactions on BITOG

Look up the definition of "networking". You just acknowledged the site is used for "networking". 🤣 Here's one:

the action or process of interacting with others to exchange information and develop professional or social contacts

It's not by any reasonable standard. It's a series of message boards.

Social media has user to user connections, such as "friending" as well as following. I guess it's possible to do some of that one a traditional message board, but it's not tied in quite like what I'd consider "social media".

Where did I say they were wrong ? People try and argue that this isn't a social media site because people don't post pictures of their food.
Just making a general comment about people posting other subject matter beside topics related to oil. Any site is basically a "social media" site if more than two people are posting ... the basic definition of social activity. Guess people have all kinds of "definitions" of what a "social media" site is suppose to be or not be.

This board (and every other chat board with participating members) fits this definition 100%, which you posted a link to earlier.
"Social media platform means any organization that provides a service for public users to disseminate speech, expression, information, or other content (typically content that includes messages, videos, photographs, and/or sound files) to other users or the public."

It's not by any reasonable standard. It's a series of message boards. Social media has user to user connections, such as "friending" as well as following.
Social networking can be part of social media, but you can have social media without social networking ... like this chat board, which is by definition social media.

1678053971389.png

Last edited:
I don't know about the social media aspect of BITOG, but I have always liked the friendship and cooperation among us members here. If I have a question about something whether it is about my car or fixing something around my house or new tool quality or mostly anything else under the sun I know I can always find some folks to discuss it with here on BITOG. And the mods keep everything civil and polite unlike some other forums.

I am on a computer security and info forum where they just started allowing posts from a bot. I think it's the Chatgpt thing. I don't like that at all. I join and post on forum threads to discuss topics and have conversations with real human people to not robots. I have no use at all for Chatgpt. I am very glad to be here on BITOG.

Social media has user to user connections, such as "friending" as well as following. I guess it's possible to do some of that one a traditional message board
You can follow people here

1678054972821.jpg

User-to-user interaction ? You mean like messaging each other here ?

It's not by any reasonable standard. It's a series of message boards.

Social media has user to user connections, such as "friending" as well as following. I guess it's possible to do some of that one a traditional message board, but it's not tied in quite like what I'd consider "social media".
Have you missed the PM and follow abilities here on BITOG and most forums I'm part of?

I don't know about the social media aspect of BITOG, but I have always liked the friendship and cooperation among us members here. If I have a question about something whether it is about my car or fixing something around my house or new tool quality or mostly anything else under the sun I know I can always find some folks to discuss it with here on BITOG. And the mods keep everything civil and polite unlike some other forums.

I am on a computer security and info forum where they just started allowing posts from a bot. I think it's the Chatgpt thing. I don't like that at all. I join and post on forum threads to discuss topics and have conversations with real human people to not robots. I have no use at all for Chatgpt. I am very glad to be here on BITOG.
What you describe is...social media....

I am not familiar yet the chat bot things.

You're pigeon-holing definitions to suit your narrative.

Look up the definition of "networking". You just acknowledged the site is used for "networking". 🤣 Here's one:
BITOGers network here all the time, BITOG the entity does not....but neither does FB, Twitter, or IG...their users do.

I think some of the confusion may stem from the concept of a bulletin board (BBS) pre-dating the definition of social media, which I think was really sort of honed/defined during the MySpace era.

Technically, when we used to dial into a BBS with our modem, we were participating in something that doesn't quite fall under the definition of social media, because it wasn't a website or application, but it did allow for social networking. The same could be said for IRC, which was really a "system" that enabled networking, but pre-dates the concept of a centralized web platform or app for that explicit purpose.

ICQ would probably have been the first really popular app that fits the definition, but of course there was also AIM, MSN...etc. Then emerged the web platforms like MySpace, Facebook...etc.

The concept of a privately owned forum is really the evolution of the BBS if we are trying to nail down its genesis. However, because it does leverage a web platform, I think that does result in it falling under the definition of social media.

Back